The His Badge Her Badge Fan & Fan Fiction Forum

Featuring Hunter, JAG, Law & Order:SVU, and The X-Files
It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What Fate Has In Store - Part 1
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:36 pm 

Location: What kind of question is that? At my computer, silly!
---------
What Fate Has In Store - Part 1

= = =
Author’s Notes:
1) This is a squeal to “It’s Never Too Late." You probably don’t need to read that one first, but it might make more sense if you do. So, I would highly recommend reading it.

2) For the sake of this story, we are going to pretend that in “It’s Never Too Late" Harm and Dee Dee met each other at the park in early September - and not November like I had written in the other story. Although, I’m sure if I didn’t say anything, you wouldn’t have noticed. ;-)

3) I also turned this into a challenge piece for me. I used the following quotes from the challenges that we attempted to have almost three years ago! (In the order they appear in the story)

- Hunter: Give me a, um, a tall soda water with lime and lots of ice.
Waiter: Anything else?
Hunter: A glass.

- Danny: That's just what I wanted tonight - just keepin' company with you. ---- NYPD Blue

- Ziva: Why are you here?
Tony: Couldn't live without you, I guess.
Ziva: You should have stayed away.
Tony: Okay, tried. Couldn't. --- NCIS

- Allie: Do you think our love can make miracles?
Duke: I do. ---- The Notebook

- Frank Wheeler: We're gonna be okay.
April Wheeler: I hope so. I really hope so. ---- Revolutionary Road

Summary: Dee Dee McCall stood outside and watched. She couldn't help but to feel a twinge of jealousy when she saw Hunter d-r-i-n-k-i-n-g coffee with that woman. The woman was very beautiful, but she was probably half of Hunter’s age. McCall just couldn’t seem to make sense of it. She was also a little upset that Hunter didn’t tell her about this woman. However, she knew that she lost this right to know things many years ago, but that still didn’t make it any easier

Rating: K

Di claimer: Still not mine. Oh, and the typos and errors are mine and mine alone. Sorry. As much as I wish I was, I'm simply not perfect! ;-)

= = =
San Diego International Airport
December 21, 2005
7:53 PM
= = =
An exhausted Dee Dee Turnan stepped off of the airplane and into the terminal that would bring her to the baggage claim. She was exhausted from her travels and the bright florescent lights and the noise of the crowded airport only made her headache worse than it already was. City life was so different from the quiet, peaceful country life she had become accustomed with after she and Alex divorced.

It was days like this when she wondered why she even bothered to travel over the holidays. However, when she remembered the reason, she couldn’t stop the smile from forming across her lips.

Hunter was the reason she was there. When he came to visit her in London over Thanksgiving, everything went so well. It was almost as if time stood still for the past fifteen years and she was still Det. Sgt. Dee Dee McCall of the LAPD. Oh, how she missed those days. She came close to telling him how she felt, but she always backed out because she knew it would have been to painful to tell him and then watch him board the plane that would bring him back to San Diego.

After making her way through the crowd and gathering her luggage, Dee Dee began to look for Hunter. She began to rummage through her purse before she remembered she opted not to to even bring her cellphone because the international fees would have been astronomical. Therefore, she would have to find Hunter the old fashioned way.

Finding Hunter, wasn’t hard at all. Yes, the airport was crowded, but Rick Hunter stood about a head taller than everyone else there. “Rick!” She called when she was within earshot.

His smiled widened. “Dee Dee!” He exclaimed as he closed the distance between them. “How was your flight?”

“Long!” She replied with a small chuckle.
“Here, let me take those.” She reached for her luggage and then wrapped an arm around her shoulders. “Would you like to grab a bite to eat?”

Dee Dee rested her head against his chest. “I’d love something, but I don’t really feel like going out tonight. I’m still on London time. It would be 1:00 am there!”

“Well, if you want, I can drop you off at the hotel and give you a chance to freshen up a bit while I go pick us up something to eat.”

“Okay,” Dee Dee agreed. “That sounds great.”

“What are you up for?”

“Anything you want,” she replied.

“Hm. What about Italian?”

“Hunter, I can always go for Italian. I thought you were the one who didn’t like it!”

“Usually, I don’t, but there’s this lady downtown, Loretta, who has a little coffee shop and Italian eatery. She makes the best Italian food you’ve ever tasted. It’s seriously the best I have ever had. And her coffee is amazing, too.”

“Well, it must be amazing then. Bring me back a nice, big, bowl of pasta. Please,” she added with a smile.

“Of course,” he replied. “I can see that your eating habits have never changed.”

“And they never will!” She said as they stepped into his car.

= = =
Dee Dee’s Hotel Room
10:15 PM
= = =

Dee Dee had just finished her shower and changing into her pajamas when there was a knock on the door.

“It’s me,” came Hunter’s voice from the other side.

“Just a second!” She called as she crossed the living area of the suite. “Hey,” she said when she opened the door.

Hunter couldn’t get over how beautiful she looked. She had a white towel wrapped around her her wet hair, and she wore a silky red robe that fell just above her knee. The past fifteen years had nothing on her. She was still as beautiful as she was they day he met her. “You look good.”

Dee Dee blushed. “Thanks. So, what did you bring me?”

Hunter walked passed her and set the bags of food on the table in the kitchenette. “We have pasta with meatballs or ravioli, a side salad, and for dessert, none other than Tiramisu.”

“Mmm. It sounds and smells wonderful. May I get you something to d-r-i-n-k? I’m not sure what I have, but the guy at the front desk assured me that I have a fully stocked fridge.”

“Um, give me a, um, a tall soda water with lime and lots of ice.”

“Anything else?” She teased.

“Well, yeah. A glass,” he smirked.

“Hunter!” She exclaimed as she tossed her wet towel at him. “I've missed this,” she said as she returned to the table with Hunter’s d-r-i-n-k and a bottle of water for herself.

“Our banter? Me too. No one will ever know me as well as you do.”

“I know, I can say the same about you.”

After eating, they spent several hours reflecting on their days back at the LAPD.

“I’m sorry,” Dee Dee said with a yawn. “I know I’m not the best company tonight.”

“But that's just what I wanted tonight - just keepin' company with you.”

Dee Dee smiled. “That’s very sweet. I’ve really enjoyed this.”

Rick looked at his watch. “Me, too, but considering that it is almost 1:00am, I should probably leave so you can catch some sleep. Would you like to meet me for dinner tomorrow?”

“Absolutely. When and where?”

“Well, I’ll be in court all day, so why don’t we meet me at Greta’s at 5:00pm. It’s this great place on the corner of Main Street and 2nd Street, right across from the police department. You can’t miss it.”

“Okay, that sounds great. I’ll see you then.”

= = =
Pomerado Hospital
San Diego, CA
1:20AM
= = =

Meanwhile, a tall, handsome, dark-haired man was across town trying to charm one of the nurses into letting him in well past vising hours. All it took was a smile or two and BAM the middle aged nurse allowed him in.

“Now, I don’t usually do this. I am only doing this because I know your wife has had a rough couple of days and she always seems to do better when you’re around. This is the only time I will ever do this. Do you understand?”

“Yes, ma’am. Thank you so much. I really appreciate this. My wife hasn’t been able to sleep well since the miscarriage and I worry about her. I just need to know she is okay, and that she gets a few hours of sleep.”

The nurse smiled sadly. Having lost a baby herself 15 years ago, she felt such a strong connection to the young couple. “I understand.”

“Thank you so much. I am very grateful.” The man began to walk towards the elevators.

“You must be out of here by 6am, before the other nurses start coming for their shifts. Promise me that?” She called.

The man turned around and looked at her with his famous smile as he stepped on the elevator. “I promise, and I don’t make promises that I can’t keep.”

= = =
Room 204A

= = =

When he reached his wife’s room he could see the faint glow from the TV coming from beneath the door and he could hear the sounds of ADA Jack McCoy. Therefore, he knew his wife was awake and watching Law and Order reruns.

“Hey,” he said as he tapped lightly on her door.

“Harm?” She flipped on the light. “Why are you here?"

“Couldn’t live without you, I guess."

“You should have stayed away.” Mac said.

“Okay,” he admitted. “I tried, I couldn’t.”

“The nurses are going to be furious if they catch you in here.”

“Don’t worry about that,” Harm said as he sat in the chair next to his wife’s bed. “I charmed our friend Cara down there. She’s letting me stay until 0600 hours. All I had to do was smile at her a few times.”

“That smile can get you everything you want, huh?” She asked.

“Well,” he smiled. “Almost everything. So, how are you feeling?”

“Better. I’d much rather be at home sleeping in our own bed, not on this poor excuse for a mattress. I’ve slept on subs in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean that were more comfortable than this.”

“Mac,” Harm began. “I know you wish you were home, but you had to stay, just as a precaution.”

“Most women who have laparoscopies are able to leave the same day, but noooo, not me,” she frowned.

“Well, the doctor removed most of the scar tissue from the endometriosis, more than he thought was there and during the surgery, your heartbeat dropped very, very low. They just want to keep you here to make sure that you’re okay.”

“I know,” she said sadly. “I just hate hospitals.”

“Well, if everything is okay tomorrow morning, they’ll probably let you out of here around 0900. I can be here to pick you up and take you home, but I have a very important case that I have to be at around 1300 so I’ll pick up dinner for us on my way home. I’ll probably be home around 1630.”

“That sounds good.”

It was silent for a few minutes before Mac reached for her husband’s hand. “Harm?” she asked softly.

“Yes?”

“Can you hold me? Just until I fall asleep? Then you can leave. I just know I’ll fall asleep quicker if you’re here.”

“Anytime.” Harm carefully situated himself next to his wife on the small bed and wrapped his arms around her.

“So, is Jack McCoy presenting a good case tonight?” Harm asked.

Mac smiled. “He is. As always. Too bad he isn’t a real lawyer.”

Harm laughed. “I bet you could give him a run for his money in the courtroom.”

It was Mac who laughed next. “Only if you’re my second chair!”

The room fell silent for a few moments. It was Mac who spoke next during the commercial. “Harm?”

“Hmm?”

“Do you think,” she paused for a moment. “Do you think our love can make miracles?”

“Yes,” he responded without missing a single beat. “I do. I really do. We’re gonna be okay, Mac.”

“I hope so,” she sighed. “I really hope so.”

“We’ll have a baby. Dr. Green said that this operation increases our odds from 4% to 14%. That’s wonderful. And if that doesn’t happen, we can look into adoption again, like we did before the ....” he trailed off before he could say “miscarriage.”

“Well, 14% is still some pretty crappy odds.”

“But,” he countered, “14% is better than 4%, right?”

“Yes,” she sighed. “That is true, Captain. That is true.”

She fell silent again and Harm drew lazy circles on her back hoping that it would help her fall asleep.

= = =
The Following Day
San Diego, CA
1:57PM
= = =

Earlier that morning, Dee Dee decided she would do some shopping before she met Hunter for dinner. On her way out of the hotel, she asked the clerk if he knew where Loretta’s Cafe was, as she was really craving a good cup of coffee. He did, and the directions were fairly easy, so she decided she would stop there that afternoon.

It was nearly 2:00pm before the judge allowed for a lunch recess. Hunter was due to testify next, so he decided he would run to Loretta’s for a quick cup of coffee before he was due back in court.

Out of habit, and because of his police training, Hunter did a quick scan of the area when he entered the small cafe. He smiled when he saw a familiar face sitting in a booth near the window. After ordering his coffee, he went to sit across from her.

She smiled when she saw him. “Rick!” She exclaimed. “It’s so good to see you!”

He smiled back. “You haven’t been here for a few days,” he stated, clearly concerned. “Have you been alright?”

She smiled sadly. “I had some minor complications from a minor surgery. I was in the hospital for a few days.”

“I’m sorry. Would you like to talk about it?”

She sighed heavily. “Yes, but you talk first. What have you been up to?”

“Well,” he began to smile, “do remember how I told you about my former partner, Dee Dee McCall?”

“Yes, didn’t you go to London to visit her last month?”

“I did. Well, it went so well that I invited her here for Christmas. She came in last night.”

“Oh, that’s so wonderful! Have you told her how you felt yet?”

Hunter looked down and studied the coffee in his cup. “No...not yet.”

“Why not?”

“Because fifteen years has been a long time. I don’t know if she’ll feel the same way.”

“I bet she does. You know my story, we’re actually very similar in that way. Harm and I were stuck dancing the same dance. When we got married the week after he came back to the States from London, I asked him why we didn’t get our act together sooner, he said it was because he was afraid that I wouldn’t feel the same way. But I did! I really did! I admitted it years ago to a co-worker, but yet I never could bring myself to admit it to Harm. There were always complications, you know, work, a girlfriend, his obsession with discovering his father’s fate. Looking back, I wish I realized I could have told him. There were so many things I wish I would have told him sooner. You have to follow your heart, trust me. It will never lead you wrong. If I would have told Harm how I felt sooner, we might have been able to have a baby before the endometriosis got worse – and maybe that miscarraige never would have happened.”

Hunter frowned. “You can't change anything. There's no garuntee that getting together with Harm sooner would have changed anything. You can't play the "what-if" game. I shouldn't have to tell you that, after all, you're a lawyer!" He joked for a moment before becoming serious again, "Is that why you were in the hospital, Mac?”

“Yes. I had a minor laparoscopy done to remove some scar tissue and increase the odds of being able to have a baby. The doctors said my heartbeat dropped really low during the operation, so that is why they kept me there a few days.”

“Other than that, how did it go?”

She shrugged. “I have a 14% chance. Sometimes I’m afraid Harm will regret marrying me if we can never had a family of our own and leave me.”

Hunter reached across the table and squeezed her hand. “Keep the faith. I’ve never met your husband, but he sounds like a wonderful man who loves you very much. He won’t ever regret marrying.”

Mac wiped a stray tear away with her free hand. “Thank you. Say, what are you and Dee Dee doing for Christmas?”

“Oh, not much.”

“Why don’t you guys come to my house for dinner? We’d love to have the company and I’m sure Harm would love to meet you.” Mac knew Harm would like to meet Hunter. She often described Rick Hunter to Harm as someone like AJ. He was a person she could talk without judging her, she could bounces ideas of to him, and he was a good person to talk to when she need someone other than Harm to discuss things with.

Hunter thought for a moment. “Okay, that would be great. I’d love to meet your husband and I really want you to meet Dee Dee. She’s great.”

“Wonderful!” Mac smiled. “Our address is 2125 Trenton Ave. Are you familiar with the area?”

“Yes, I am. What time would you like us there?”

“Is 4:00pm okay?”

“Yes, it is.”

“Great, I’ll see you two then!”

Meanwhile, while this whole conversation was occurring, Dee Dee McCall stood outside and watched. She couldn't help but to feel a twinge of jealousy when she saw Hunter d-r-i-n-k-i-n-g coffee with that woman. The woman was very beautiful, but she was probably half of Hunter’s age. McCall just couldn’t seem to make sense of it. She was also a little upset that Hunter didn’t tell her about this woman. However, she knew that she lost this right to know things many years ago, but that still didn’t make it any easier. It ruined her appetite and she decide to back to the hotel instead of getting a cup of coffee.

= = =
To be continued....

Profile E-mail