It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thought about Season 8...
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:59 pm 

So... I haven’t seen the season 8 episodes in a while (since they aired basically) so I don’t remember them hardly at all. But.... I thought I would throw this thought out there.......

Does anyone think that maybe – just maybe – we would have gotten the ending for Hunter & McCall that we wanted in season 8 if the season had actually played out and wasn’t abruptly cut like it was after 3 episodes? I mean, if you watch Return to Justice..... remember that whole scene with Hunter laying in bed in his hotel room and all of the flashbacks of him and McCall were playing? So, obviously he was laying there thinking about her... some of the good old days as partners, but the kiss scene appeared in there too.... SO... that leads you to believe that he still had feelings for her. And then, how about the ending where he puts in for a transfer to be in San Diego near her? The producers all knew that fans wanted to see H&M together....and they revived the show with McCall, not Novak.... so....... what do you think?

I kind of think maybe it would have happened! Or maybe that’s the hopeless shipper in me, but it just seemed like they were setting the stage for something to happen. Or maybe at least another hookup that we got to see in real time and not flashbacks! HAHA!

Thoughts?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Thought about Season 8...
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:33 pm 
Site Admin

When it first aired, we had some good dicussions about this topic, and those of us who are shippers did believe that they may have taken that route, especially with the clips of him thinking of her and when he transferred.

They killed of Roger, too, so.........

I thought those were pretty good hints, myself, and was hoping they would have gotten them together, finally.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:57 pm 

I would have loved it if they had become a couple. I think Hunter wanted the transfer because he missed her and because I think he felt like he had to be close by to watch over her considering her husband to be was just killed he just didn't want her to b alone. The flashbacks were very touching it would have been even more touching if McCall would have had flashbacks too. As for using McCall instead of Novak they realized the show was successful with her and when she left it bombed. They also knew the fans wanted to see Hunter and McCall but then again they also knew we wanted them to finally get together so YES!YES!YES! if season 8 or maybe a season 9 and beyond they would have been a couple!!.......................Wouldn't it be the most awesome thing ever to see the episodes that never aired.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:13 pm 

Oh by the way what is a shipper? I hope it is not a duh moment for me.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:36 pm 
Site Admin

naebells wrote:

A "shipper" is a person who wants characters to be in a relationship together.
It's the last part of "relationship", made into "shipper".

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:12 pm 

naebells wrote:

No worries, I had asked the same question only a couple of months back! ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:33 pm 
Site Admin

You sure did, didn't you? I'd forgotten.
:?

I think it was under the fanfics.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:28 am 

yeah, I think you are right! :) You learn something new every day! ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:52 am 
Site Admin

We sure do. :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:36 am 

I guess I never think of the revival of the "Hunter" series as 'Season 8'. :? I saw it more as a new series starting up with the same actors playing the same characters as in the original. Sort of like the new "Dallas" series that started up this last summer. They're viewing it as Season 1 and Season 2 will air sometime in January or February 2013. It wasn't Season 15. But, that's just my thoughts.

I loved the new "Hunter" series and was, and still am, angered that NBC didn't even give it a chance! :x I too would love to see the remaining 2 episodes that were filmed but never aired! But, I doubt that'll ever happen...unless they decide to someday release the revival series to DVD. :|

I think the writers were once again "playing" with the idea of getting Hunter and McCall together like they did originally...but I still doubt they'd of done it right away. If the new show had lasted, I still think we'd of just seen "teasers" and hints that they'd like to hook-up like we saw in the original series...but I don't know if it would've happened. The only way we would have gotten what we've always wanted is if they knew the show was being cancelled and they purposely did a "final" episode where Hunter and McCall marry to finally end it all. ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:51 am 
Site Admin

The whole S8 deal came about as a bit of a joke when it the revival came out.
We knew it was pretty much a new "Hunter", but we'd all been wanting to see a continuation of their partnership for so long, that we said the new show was that continuation, so we "made" it S8.

As I've said before, I really could have worked with having them give us hints about their romantic relationship, showing just a few minutes or seconds of them being a couple (a kiss before going to bed, mention of dinner, etc.) at the end of some of the episodes. They didn't have to make it a standard thing where they'd show something like that at the end of every episode, but after a few would have been nice. I think that would have worked for a lot of people as they didn't want to see them being so "huggy buggy" and as a couple, anyway.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:39 pm 

lm_mccall_l57 wrote:
The whole S8 deal came about as a bit of a joke when it the revival came out.
We knew it was pretty much a new "Hunter", but we'd all been wanting to see a continuation of their partnership for so long, that we said the new show was that continuation, so we "made" it S8.

As I've said before, I really could have worked with having them give us hints about their romantic relationship, showing just a few minutes or seconds of them being a couple (a kiss before going to bed, mention of dinner, etc.) at the end of some of the episodes. They didn't have to make it a standard thing where they'd show something like that at the end of every episode, but after a few would have been nice. I think that would have worked for a lot of people as they didn't want to see them being so "huggy buggy" and as a couple, anyway.

Yeah, I think that they just always wanted fans and viewers to keep hoping, therefore keep watching, that something would happen between the two. If Stepfanie Kramer hadn't left the series after season 6, and if the next season had still been the final one (as ratings had started to fall even by season 6) then I think they could have done a final "wedding" episode and end it with Hunter and McCall finally together. But, Kramer left, ratings plumeted to an all-time low with the two new goofy blondes, and the show was subsequently cancelled. Then in the new series it was cancelled even before all the episodes aired...so again they were never given a chance. :x

I hope someday someone gets a hold of the final two unaired episodes of the new series and bootlegs them out somewhere. In 1995 CBS filmed a new "Hawaii Five-0" pilot movie to try and do a revamp of the original Jack Lord series then. However, after it was filmed producers and CBS had problems with it...so it was shoved in the vaults and never graced the TV screen. Of course in 2010 "5-0" was revamped again and this time it was and is awesome! Anyway, my point is several years ago I came across some homemade (bootleg) DVD's of that 1995 "5-0" Pilot that never aired...somehow someone got a copy and then made their own copies. It was blurry and grainy but still watchable none-the-less.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:11 am 

You know it has been proven with other shows like Moonlighting and Who's the Boss when the two leads who have a lot of sexual tension get together viewers lose interest cause the show doesn't have the same appeal. Do you think that could have been a reason why H&M wasn't put into a relationship?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:24 pm 

Location: What kind of question is that? At my computer, silly!
There is certainly a chance that the "Moonlighting curse" was a factor in why H&M were kept apart. However, considering "Season 8" came out in 2003 when shows like Law and Order, CSI, and NYPD Blue were in their prime, the writers probably didn't even give a thought to H&M as a couple because they might have been too worried about "standing out" compared to all the other crime shows.

Although, going slightly off topic, I am glad that some of today's show's are taking risks with their leads.

Like Bones and Castle for example. Even though Brennan and Booth had a baby together, I think the tension is still there, especially considering Brennan had to take off with the baby...without Booth. Although, I can't really comment until the series picks up again this month.

Then there is Castle, which I cannot wait to see what happens! Last season ended with Castle and Becket appearing to do the deed. The series creator, Andrew Marlowe, has been in countless interviews for YEARS promising the fans that Castle and Becket will get together. I read an interview today where he said that when the new season picks up, it will not be a "dream" they really will have done what it looked like was going to happen. He also said that he promises that they will not break up the duo's romantic relationship, as he feels like that would be robbing the fans of all the time they spent investing themselves in the shows. He also said in the article that he has spent the last few years studying shows like Moonlighting trying to see where they went wrong so his show won't make the same "mistakes".

I think Marlowe has the right idea. I really do believe that two leads can get together and the show will survive (the show that pops in my mind is The Nanny, for example - personally, I think the show had a pretty good run after Fran and Max became a couple) - just as long as the writing pulls it off. I also agree with Marlowe that breaking up the couple will do more harm than good.

Sorry, guys! I went a little too much off topic! Forgive me? ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:43 pm 
Site Admin

I haven't watched "Castle" in ages. I didn't know it was still on.

I think that TPTB did fear that the show would fail if H&M were a couple, but if done properly, it could have worked. Maybe back then, they all just felt there were few options for cop shows. Either there were same sex partners who were friends, opposite sex partners where the male was always in charge and the stronger of the two, or a married couple.

Maybe they didn't think it was possible to have H&M as a couple, but not in the way like Johnathan and Jennifer Hart, or Lee and Amanda in later seasons of "Scarecrow & Mrs. King"....lots romantic moments for both couples. They didn't have to put H&M in such a situation, but they probably didn't know that, but I knew it.
:lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:28 pm 

Actually I think that "Scarecrow & Mrs. King" could have gone on for several more seasons...and they originally planned to do that with Lee and Amanda as a married couple working together as spies. Fans were ready for them to get together and they did...raings were still good when the show was cancelled. The reason "S.&M.K." was cancelled was because Kate Jackson unexpectedly developed breast cancer and had to undergo major surgery and treatment--she barely was able to finish filming season 4. Thats another show that needs to do a reunion movie! :)

Anyway, I too love "Bones" and the same thing applies to them. Fans were ready to see Bones and Booth get together and married...and now that they have gotten together, and with a baby no-less, they're ready to see what they do next and how they handle it. I think (don't totally hold me to this) that the show has been renewed for the next couple seasons. :clap2:

"Hart to Hart" was never considered a "cursed" show...it was just a different style of show than "Hunter"--mainly because it was geared more towards family viewing and the Harts were already married. So, you just got to sit back, enjoy the mystery and suspense, and didn't have to deal with all the drama-crap that sometimes goes along with eventually getting stars of a show paired up. ;)

However, as "Hunter" went along it matured and got more in-depth. Both the characters of Rick Hunter and Dee Dee McCall eventually became "real" and "loveable" to me. In the beginning it was more Dirty Harry meets Annie Oakly and everyone shot and asked questions later. Some of that I enjoyed but, even though I'm a guy, I still liked the show a lot more once they got a little more serious with it. :lol: So, I think they could have eventually gotten Hunter and McCall together and the fans would have not only dealt with it but embraced it...they were ready! :huglove: But, it should have happened around season 4 or 5. Rushing a duo-star relationship in a show can be "deadly" and should never be forced. One show I never was able to get totally into with a duo-star pairing was "Remington Steele". I liked the show, and occasionally watched it along with "Scarecrow", "Hunter", and several others. But, I always thought the "chemistry" between Laura Holt (Stephanie Zimbalist) and Remington Steele (Pierce Brosnan) was "faky" and "forced". It just didn't captivate me as much.

Anyway, If the revival "Hunter" series had lasted I think they eventually would have gotten Hunter and McCall together--they could have done the Lee & Amanda / Bones & Booth thing and it would have worked. But, thanks to NBC that will probably never happen. :cry: But, in 2004 I wrote a "Hunter" fanfic story where they did eventually end up together...complete with a humorous reunion with the old green 77 Dodge Monaco at the end. :lol: So, I choose to go with that as the end of the series. ;)

P.S. I guess if you were named Stephanie (or some spelling of it) in the late 70's and 80's you were probably gonna have a hit show, :lol: ! You had Stefanie Powers in "Hart to Hart", you had Stephanie Zimbalist in "Remington Steele", and Stepfanie Kramer in "Hunter". Eve Plum was probably going "Stefanie, Stephanie, Stepfanie"!! :P

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:30 am 

HunterMan wrote:
However, as "Hunter" went along it matured and got more in-depth. Both the characters of Rick Hunter and Dee Dee McCall eventually became "real" and "loveable" to me. In the beginning it was more Dirty Harry meets Annie Oakly and everyone shot and asked questions later. Some of that I enjoyed but, even though I'm a guy, I still liked the show a lot more once they got a little more serious with it. :lol: So, I think they could have eventually gotten Hunter and McCall together and the fans would have not only dealt with it but embraced it...they were ready! :huglove: But, it should have happened around season 4 or 5. Rushing a duo-star relationship in a show can be "deadly" and should never be forced. One show I never was able to get totally into with a duo-star pairing was "Remington Steele". I liked the show, and occasionally watched it along with "Scarecrow", "Hunter", and several others. But, I always thought the "chemistry" between Laura Holt (Stephanie Zimbalist) and Remington Steele (Pierce Brosnan) was "faky" and "forced". It just didn't captivate me as much.

I completely agree with you on this, although I am not too familiar with some of the other shows you mentioned, I really agree with the fact that they should have gotten Hunter & McCall together somewhere around season 4-5, because as fans, we were ready for it. We spent years waiting, watching, hoping, etc and it would have been nice to finally have gotten to see our happy ending. I also agree that the show became much better after season 1....when they focused less on the "Dirty Harry" aspect and spent a little more time developing the characters and making us fall in love with them. I would argue that the relationship and chemistry between Hunter & McCall was what kept viewers intrigued far more than the plots or the high speed car chases....although, those were awesome too!

HunterMan wrote:
Anyway, If the revival "Hunter" series had lasted I think they eventually would have gotten Hunter and McCall together--they could have done the Lee & Amanda / Bones & Booth thing and it would have worked. But, thanks to NBC that will probably never happen. :cry: But, in 2004 I wrote a "Hunter" fanfic story where they did eventually end up together...complete with a humorous reunion with the old green 77 Dodge Monaco at the end. :lol: So, I choose to go with that as the end of the series. ;)

Is your fanfic posted anywhere? I would love to read it! If its not, would you mind sending it to me? I have pretty much read all of the fanfic that is out there, and I am also in the process of writing some of my own. I published the first 4 chapters of my first one on fanfiction.net (under this same name, BrassCupcake76). I am in the process of writing the next chapters, but I tend to skip around a lot and I have like 4 stories going at once since new ideas pop into my head and I start running with them! I'll finish them all eventually..

If you wouldn't mind sharing your fanfic, I would love to read it! You can send it to me at brasscupcake76@gmail.com Thanks!!! :) Or, post it here! :clap:

PS - love your comment about the "Stephanie's" in the 80s! Its so true!!! I thought that too!!!! Its funny, my youngest sister was born in '89 and since I was 13 at the time... my mom was asking for help with the baby's name, and since we all have 'S' names and you know what..... .I suggested Stephanie and that's her name! :) Too funny about the Eve Plumb comment! :lol: Love it!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:40 pm 

Cool that you named your sister Stephanie...Stefanie, Stephanie, and Stepfanie would be pleased. ;) By the way, which shows I mentioned did you not recognize? Just curious. :)

I have posted my "Hunter" fanfic but I think the old fansite (WonderfulWorldofHunter) was shutdown for non-use after so long. I think I posted it somewhere else too but I can't remember where! :hmm:

I will have to find it and send it to you sometime. If I can find it and I do end up sending it to you, remember it's from 2004. ;) I decided to tie-in several original series episodes...including the first regular episode after the "Pilot" TV Movie. McCall's dead husband Steven even has a part. :o

Anyway, just to clarify...going by what we were talking about before...the humorous reunion with Hunter's old green Monaco at the end does not include sex in the back seat. :P :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:29 pm 

Awesome! I hope that you do find it!!! I'm dying for some new fanfic to read!! I wish I knew about that wonderful world of hunter website!! It seems like quite the hotspot back in the day.... ;). I'm sad I missed out. I was really late to the party I suppose! I just discovered a few months ago that fanfiction even existed!!

As for the shows... I don't think I heard of either one you mentioned in your post except for Hart to Hart. I can't remember the names off hand...I'll have to post this and go back and check. ;)

Last edited by BrassCupcake76 on Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:31 pm 

---------
Bones, Castle, and Scarecrow and Mrs King. Never saw either of them.....

Profile E-mail