It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Life and Death of Steve McCall
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:36 am 

I'll happily take version 3 of Steve's death as laid out in Requiem, but there are a few bits of ret-conning that don't make a lot of sense to me. The first is shoving Hunter into the memory/description of the night that Steve died. There was no indication before or afterward in the series that Hunter and Steve worked all that closely together (certainly they were never partnered). For one thing, if they were that close, Hunter would have met Dee Dee prior to that night.

I could buy Hunter dropping something off for Steve that he "wanted right away" and having the first chance to meet McCall, but there was no way the LAPD would have had Hunter come back later to deliver the news that Steve had been killed. Hunter was a virtual stranger to McCall at that point, and as I mentioned above, clearly not THAT close to Steve either. So that bit is super weird and awkward to me.

The other odd part is: how, for the reunion movies, did she end up as McCall again? She clearly changed her last name to Turnan at the end of Street Wise, and if you were going to change it back, wouldn't you go maiden name again? Color me confused. :?:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The Life and Death of Steve McCall
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:20 pm 
Site Admin

I thought they had been working on that case together, and that's why Hunter had the information they needed. Steve went off on his own to meet with what's his name...the guy who killed him. Hmm. I don't know. Too much fan fiction clouds my thinking.

Even if Hunter had gone back to tell McCall about Steve being killed, he certainly wouldn't have been alone. Most likely the Captain, the Chaplain and probably the therapist would have been there.

I've wondered about him meeting her before Steve's death, too, but I decided that in my mind, he'd been too busy to ever stop by to visit. I always imagined that Dee Dee worked in a totally different area than they did, so they never crossed paths. This is my way of dealing with my trauma when they messed up, and I'm sticking with it. LOL!

As for her using "McCall" as her name after the split from the man that was never mentioned again....what's his name...um...oh, Alex.
I was thinking that since she went back to her job, it was easier to go back as McCall than to use her maiden name.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:32 pm 

That's some impressive rationalizing there, LM. Kudos!

Obviously, they are narrative pratfalls -- every show has some -- but I find them fairly jarring when I try to rewatch the episodes. If they had simply ditched the "I present Dr. and Mrs. Alexander Turnan" from Street Wise, they would have been okay on the name thing. (As an aside, I absolutely hate it when they cut out the woman's name like that. Ugh. But I guess in this case, it was true; she was happily abandoning her identity to become "Mrs. Alexander Turnan".)

On an unrelated note, I am slowly overhauling my website to include the Hunter fics. It's still under construction, but the dust jackets are up for a sneak peek!

So fun to play around with their pictures! :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:50 pm 
Site Admin

syntax6 wrote:
That's some impressive rationalizing there, LM. Kudos!

Obviously, they are narrative pratfalls -- every show has some -- but I find them fairly jarring when I try to rewatch the episodes. If they had simply ditched the "I present Dr. and Mrs. Alexander Turnan" from Street Wise, they would have been okay on the name thing. (As an aside, I absolutely hate it when they cut out the woman's name like that. Ugh. But I guess in this case, it was true; she was happily abandoning her identity to become "Mrs. Alexander Turnan".)

On an unrelated note, I am slowly overhauling my website to include the Hunter fics. It's still under construction, but the dust jackets are up for a sneak peek!

So fun to play around with their pictures! :)

Thank you! :)

Yep, the man is pretty much announced to be recognized by name at weddings; his first and last name, while the woman is "Mrs". Hmm. :|

I guess when you're in that big of a hurry to get married to a stranger, you couldn't care less about your name. :lol:

As for names when it comes to being married, I annoy the heck out of a lot of people by saying that I plan to hyphenate. I'd still be using my husband's name, too. What's the big deal? Dang! LOL! One of my former bosses said "Why do you have to be difficult? Just take your man's name like my wife did and be happy." Yes, I had a few choice words for him. :x That's not why he's my former boss, though. LOL! I had it out big time with his partner who thought he could treat me like crap. He learned in a hurry that he couldn't. :lol:

Good luck with your site. I saw the really photos that are soon to be links, I take it.

:)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:11 pm 

lm_mccall_l57 wrote:

As for names when it comes to being married, I annoy the heck out of a lot of people by saying that I plan to hyphenate. I'd still be using my husband's name, too. What's the big deal? Dang! LOL! One of my former bosses said "Why do you have to be difficult? Just take your man's name like my wife did and be happy." Yes, I had a few choice words for him. :x That's not why he's my former boss, though. LOL! I had it out big time with his partner who thought he could treat me like crap. He learned in a hurry that he couldn't. :lol:

Good luck with your site. I saw the really photos that are soon to be links, I take it.[/color]

Well, I'll do you one better -- I kept my name when I got married. Too many years being known as myself to go changing identities at 32. It's hardly a bold feminist statement (I got my current last name from my Dad, after all) but I had built a career under my current name and just didn't see any reason to change it. Occasionally, usually when trying to place an order over the phone, I question my decision. I could have had a nice, simple American name that nobody messes up but instead kept my 12-letter German monstrosity.

My mom, who exchanged a nice easy maiden name for the German monstrosity when she got married, used to say to me sometimes that she wishes she had kept her maiden name because she felt that "women who kept their names are more interesting." I think this might have been true back in her day because it was a daring choice back then. Only the rebel women were doing it, and rebels are undeniably interesting! These days, I don't think it matters one way or another. Whatever a woman wants to do is fine by me.

Back to McCall, though, she's clearly into changing her name upon marriage in general, given that she did it twice. I guess Roger's death saved her a third round!

Thanks for the good luck wishes. I will need it. I have not overhauled my website in 8 years. It is a slow process. And yes, eventually, the covers will have a nicer arrangement and be linked to the stories. I'm just testing to make sure the dust jackets look okay on screen. :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:02 pm 
Site Admin

syntax6 wrote:
lm_mccall_l57 wrote:

Good luck with your site. I saw the really photos that are soon to be links, I take it.[/color]

Well, I'll do you one better -- I kept my name when I got married. Too many years being known as myself to go changing identities at 32. It's hardly a bold feminist statement (I got my current last name from my Dad, after all) but I had built a career under my current name and just didn't see any reason to change it. Occasionally, usually when trying to place an order over the phone, I question my decision. I could have had a nice, simple American name that nobody messes up but instead kept my 12-letter German monstrosity.

My mom, who exchanged a nice easy maiden name for the German monstrosity when she got married, used to say to me sometimes that she wishes she had kept her maiden name because she felt that "women who kept their names are more interesting." I think this might have been true back in her day because it was a daring choice back then. Only the rebel women were doing it, and rebels are undeniably interesting! These days, I don't think it matters one way or another. Whatever a woman wants to do is fine by me.

Back to McCall, though, she's clearly into changing her name upon marriage in general, given that she did it twice. I guess Roger's death saved her a third round!

Thanks for the good luck wishes. I will need it. I have not overhauled my website in 8 years. It is a slow process. And yes, eventually, the covers will have a nicer arrangement and be linked to the stories. I'm just testing to make sure the dust jackets look okay on screen. :)

I think it's neat that you kept your last name. :)

I'd thought of keeping my last name, though not a 12-letter monstrosity. :lol: There are only six letters in it.
Interesting enough, it's my first name that has twelve letters and people destroy it when trying to pronounce it. It's not hard at all, but I guess it's intimidating when seen on paper. I LOVE my name, and I wish people would calm down about it being "hard to pronounce". They say it when I tell them how, so it can't be that bad. Sheeesh! My first and middle names are French and Native-American. Most times, if there's information on the computer about business, my only about the first eight letters fit, so people really screw it up.

When I was working that the boss who thought I shouldn't hypenate my name (booo-hiiissss!), he and his partner were terrible at pronouncing names of our customers. It was a car lot, so lots of different people came in. One of our customers could come in to make payments, and his name is Miquel Ojeda. The guys called him "Mig-well O-jeeda". Dang! :| Get to know how to pronounce foreign names! One day, the boss I hated told me to look up the file. He pronounced it that horrible way, and I couldn't find it. He got on the computer and pointed it out and I told him it's "Megell Oheyda". He said "Whatever." I hated that! I asked the customer in front of both bosses one day if I'd pronounced it right, and he said I did. I know they felt stupid. :lol:

Yeah, I guess over thirty years ago, your mom could have been considered a rebel for keeping her maiden name. :)

Back to McCall....

Even if she had married Roger and the show had picked back up, I have a feeling that his name wouldn't have been used as he'd have been in the "Alex Zone"....forgotten....name and all. :lol: She'd still have been "McCall".
I wish we could have known her maiden name. I really want to know that Dee Dee isn't her real first name, even if she doesn't like her first name. Dee Dee is a nickname in my opinion, but to each his own. I've been called "D" or "Dee" at times. It's part of maaaany nicknames that come from my very long name. :lol:
One of our fellow fans wrote a fanfic where she had Dee Dee's first name as Denise. I think that name suits. :) I use a slightly odd name for her in mine. Why not? I have an odd name, and she can too.
:lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:11 am 

Your ex-boss sounds like a real treat, LM. What a tool. Taking the time to learn how to pronounce other people's names is a sign of respect, and I guess he didn't have any -- for anyone!

And yes, I have always hated her first name. So ridiculous! Every version of "Dee" or "Dee Dee" I have ever come across in real life is a nickname, as you mention. It apparently was not meant to be on the show, given that they used it in pretty formal situations, but what a silly choice for the character. I'm pretty canon-compliant with my fics, so I keep her first name as-is, but I don't use it all that much. ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:46 pm 
Site Admin

He was a tool and a half!
He was all about taking the money, but never taking time to know his customers. He'd make a lot of rude remarks behind their backs, and I'd tell him about himself. He'd say it didn't matter what he said, as long as they gave him his money. He didn't have any problem spending it before it was all put into the bank, and thankfully, my other boss trusted me and knew that when we ran short of cash in the office, it wasn't my doing.
This tool of a guy loved to gamble, and one day a guy came in to collect money from him. The tool wasn't there, so the guy left a message with me. I asked what I should say, and he pulled back his jacket and showed me his gun. He said "Tell him that my friend and I are looking for him and he'd better be here when I come back in two hours." Whoa! :shock:
I told the nicer boss and he apologized for the issue and said that he'd take care of it. When is partner showed up, he really ripped into him. They went outside to talk, but I could hear. He told him that he's not having him put my life, his life or anyone else's life in danger because of his stupidity and addiction. He made him stay there until the guy came back for his money. The tool was totally scared. I had told my brothers and a friend who are police officers, and they started to come by to check on me. Thankfully, we never heard back from that guy. Whew! I wasn't scared, but I was really taken by surprise. The guy told me that he wouldn't do anything to hurt me, and just wanted me to deliver the message. Still....what a moment. I needed the money from the job, but had to quit. I couldn't deal with that loser of a boss and the trouble he was bringing. I felt bad for the nicer one, and we still see each other in public ever now and then. I've known his wife and sister-in-law since we were kids. They're related to one of my cousins, but on a different side of the family.

I'm glad that I caught him shopping with her girlfriend. The look on his face was priceless, while she stood there trying to figure out what was wrong with him. I wish he had fallen and not only tripped over the shopping cart wheel while trying to avoid me. :lol:
I know he was worried for the longest time that I'd tell his wife, but never did and never planned to. No reason for me to hurt her. I just hate that he was cheating (his cousin/partner even told me), and I wonder if that toddler girl with his girlfriend is also his. He and his wife have a daughter around the same age. Shameful.

McCall is the topic, right? LOL!

I always thought they should have given Dee Dee a better name. They didn't do much better with Kitty, either. Sheesh! Tap dance act or not, the names don't work. LOL!
Even though I do at least mention a first name for her in my stories, I still have to use the nickname so people will know who I'm talking about.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:54 pm 

That is to funny. Your stories crack me up. You lead an interesting life.

As far as Dee Dee goes, it isn't my favorite name but I think it goes well with McCall. I actually like it better than when Roger called her Dee.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:21 am 
Site Admin

---------
Slinky wrote:
That is to funny. Your stories crack me up. You lead an interesting life.

As far as Dee Dee goes, it isn't my favorite name but I think it goes well with McCall. I actually like it better than when Roger called her Dee.

Thank you. I try. LOL!

I think her first name goes with McCall, too. It sounds better than Dee McCall.

I can't recall if I mentioned it in a previous post, but with one of my nicknames starting with the letter D, I've had a couple of people to playfully call me "D" or maybe "Dee". There was never any discussion about the spelling, so... :lol:
I'd prefer to be called "L" if they have to use one letter. At least it's the first letter of my real name, and I even dated a guy who would sometimes call me "L" for short.

Profile E-mail