It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The essential episodes
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:47 am 

So as I've been recruiting Hunter fans over in XF land, I've been pointing folks to YouTube to watch actual episodes.* Many people actually watched the show when it was on the air! But some have not. If you were introducing a new person to Hunter, which 10 episodes would you recommend they start with? I have two lists, one for the straight series, and one for those only interested in the Hunter-McCall relationship. ;)

Hunter the Series:

1. The Pilot
2. Rape and Revenge
3. Burned
4. The Beautiful and the Dead
5. Requiem for Sergeant McCall
6. City of Passion
7. Silver Bullet
8. Heir of Neglect
9. Unfinished Business
10. Street Wise

The Hunter/McCall relationship:

1. Rape and Revenge
2. The Big Fall
3. From San Francisco with Love
4. The Girl Next Door
5. Any Second Now
6. Hot Pursuit
7. Shades
8. Night on Bald Mountain
9. The Legion
10. Unfinished Business

I left off season one pretty much both times because so much of what they had established during that period ends up getting discarded later on (Hunter's chili dogs, the junk cars, "It works for me", Hunter's mob past, "The Brass Cupcake", the ******* captain, etc.). Comments? Other suggestions?? :)

Cheers, syn

*My friend R. has burned through like 30 episodes in four days. It's amusing!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The essential episodes
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:44 am 
Site Admin

syntax6 wrote:
So as I've been recruiting Hunter fans over in XF land, I've been pointing folks to YouTube to watch actual episodes.* Many people actually watched the show when it was on the air! But some have not. If you were introducing a new person to Hunter, which 10 episodes would you recommend they start with? I have two lists, one for the straight series, and one for those only interested in the Hunter-McCall relationship. ;)

Hunter the Series:

1. The Pilot
2. Rape and Revenge
3. Burned
4. The Beautiful and the Dead
6. City of Passion
7. Silver Bullet
8. Heir of Neglect
9. Unfinished Business
10. Street Wise

The Hunter/McCall relationship:

1. Rape and Revenge
2. The Big Fall
3. From San Francisco with Love
4. The Girl Next Door
5. Any Second Now
6. Hot Pursuit
7. Shades
9. The Legion
10. Unfinished Business

I left off season one pretty much both times because so much of what they had established during that period ends up getting discarded later on (Hunter's chili dogs, the junk cars, "It works for me", Hunter's mob past, "The Brass Cupcake", the ******* captain, etc.). Comments? Other suggestions?? :)

Cheers, syn

*My friend R. has burned through like 30 episodes in four days. It's amusing!

This reminds me that I need to list all the episodes and summaries on the forum.

Episodes in general and in no particular order - - -

1. The Legion
2. Rape and Revenge
3. The Big Fall
4. Unfinished Business
6. Street Wise
7. Shades
8. Night On Bald Mountain
9. The Baby Game
10. Playing God
- -

The McCall/Hunter relationship - -

1. Rape and Revenge
2. The Big Fall
3. Change Partners and Dance
4. The Girl Next Door
5. Return to Justice (movie from 2003)
6. Hot Pursuit
7. Shades
9. The Legion
10. Unfinished Business
- - -

A couple of extras that focus a bit more on McCall doing a great job and getting emotional about the cases/victims - -

Teen Dreams
Code 3
Me, Myself and I

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:25 pm 

Interesting list, LM! Why did you choose "Playing God"? I like the ep myself, just curious about your reasoning.

I think if one was into completion, one would have to tack on the Season 7 premiere, Molenski's death, and Everyone Walks in LA. I am not into completion, so I pretty much just ignore all of these! ;)

Mostly, my friend and I have been tittering at just how much material fanfic writers were given to work with, and how little fanfic has resulted in comparison. She and I are working to rectify that. Heh. (I mean, he threatens to spank her on work hours! And she's into it! WTF?)

Interesting to see how season 3 dominates the Hunter/McCall category. Ah, season 3. I wuv you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:57 pm 
Site Admin

syntax6 wrote:
Interesting list, LM! Why did you choose "Playing God"? I like the ep myself, just curious about your reasoning.

I think if one was into completion, one would have to tack on the Season 7 premiere, Molenski's death, and Everyone Walks in LA. I am not into completion, so I pretty much just ignore all of these! ;)

Mostly, my friend and I have been tittering at just how much material fanfic writers were given to work with, and how little fanfic has resulted in comparison. She and I are working to rectify that. Heh. (I mean, he threatens to spank her on work hours! And she's into it! WTF?)

Interesting to see how season 3 dominates the Hunter/McCall category. Ah, season 3. I wuv you.

I like 'Playing God" because it shows how both M&H have sympathy for the guy who lost his wife. I like how he and McCall made somewhat of a connection at dinner (or lunch) as they discussed losing their spouses, and I think that Hunter realized that if he'd been in the guy's shoes, either with McCall as his wife or not, he could see himself doing the same thing. They also realized that this man had been tortured a fair amount and wasn't the average criminal like those they see on a regular basis.

It's just an episode with lots of compassion from the both of them, from where I stand. :)

Seeing Molenski get taken out is a good scene. Yeah, I'm mean. LOL!

Yes, it would seem that McCall was into getting spanked by Hunter at work. Hmm. It only adds to my wondering about what went on in those stairwells, meeting rooms, etc., when she uses her finger to motion for him to follow him because she wants to thank him, and Hunter breaks the foruth wall and says something like "You know...after all these years, this could happen." :oops: :mrgreen: :lol:

Spankings, admitting to being bad, "coffee".....yeah, they gave us a lot to run with. :lol: Gaaah, I love those two!
:mrgreen:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:32 pm 

I like Playing God for most of the same reasons you mentioned. It's an interesting glimpse of a time when they were tempted to "look the other way" because the killer was sympathetic.

It's been super funny to watch Lysandra go through the series for the first time. (She's done 3 seasons inside of a week and is up to "City of Passion" now). As life-long LA native, she's enjoying the scenery as much as the show. Plus, she's playing soap-star bingo with all of the guest stars. We are agreed that there were some seriously wasted opportunities for tender Hunter/McCall reunions at the end of "High Noon in LA" and "Shades." McCall should have been the one "helping" him with his book. Heh.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:28 pm 
Site Admin

It's nice to know that someone else understand where I'm coming from with this episode. :)

Did you tell Lysandra about the forum? I activated a new account a few days ago, but they haven't posted.

It's interesting to see newbies get so excited about "Hunter" and other faves, when we've been fans and knowing so much for about 30 years. LOL!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:54 pm 

Hi, LM. That's weird that you can't see the stories, then. Odd.

Lysandra says her account still comes up as "Inactive."

And amusingly enough, it turns out a large portion of the XF fandom used to watch Hunter and wish for he and McCall to get together. We are definitely not alone! ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:07 pm 
Site Admin

I went and rechecked the settings to see M rated fics, and I hope it'll stay this time. It's so strange that it's lasted all these years, then changed. I guess it could have had something to do with the recent changes over there, but why pick on me? LOL!

I'll have see about her account. If you don't mind, have her send me an email. You have my email address for this forum, don't you?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:10 pm 
Site Admin

I just checked the permissions for the last person to sign up, and they're good to go. I don't know which person she is, soo.... :|

I'll check my email to see if she's sent anything.

Edited to add - - No wonder, I see that her request was only made this morning at around 10am.

I'll try to activate it before the night is over. The thing is, there's an automatic note that goes out that says the account is activated once a person signs up, which is not my doing. It's by way of the main site for the forum. I have to go through each portion of the forum and tick the proper tabs to choose whether or not new members can have access. It takes me about ten or fifteen minutes.There's actually another person wanting to join, too.
Edited again...nope, both requests are hers.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:45 pm 

It's really funny that out of 130 episodes (I'm only counting H&M eps) that we pretty much agree on the same handful of them that are a must watch either for the show's story line or H/M storyline! All I know is I can watch Big Fall, San Fran, City of Passion, and Presumed Guilty over and over again! If I knew anything about computers, I would just loop all my fave H&M scenes together and then I wouldn't have to constantly ff through the fluff I don't really care about!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:35 pm 
Site Admin

Maybe one day you'll be able to use a program to make movies on your computer. You can loop til ya can't loop no mo! :lol:

It would be really interesting to learn that these episodes are listed as Stepfanie and Fred's favorites, too.
:D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:03 am 

Yes, 25+ years worth of distance gives one a rather clear-eyed picture of what worked and what didn't. It seems to me that Hunter was actually four different shows operating under the same name:

Hunter I -- the first season, with the catch-phrases, cartoon violence and Dirty Harry feel
Hunter II -- seasons 2 through 4, with slightly more sophisticated plotting, tons of Hunter/McCall interaction, introduction of fun and believable side characters (Finn, Devane, Carlos, Sporty, etc.)
Hunter III -- seasons 5 through 6, with its West LA focus, more intricate plotting and with greatly reduced shared screen time for Hunter and McCall, especially in season 6.
Hunter IV -- season 7, the post McCall year

The standouts through the seasons are the ones that managed to combine the best of the good (Hunter/McCall interaction and a well-executed plot), but clearly for fans, if there is enough fun H/M screen time, then the plot hardly matters. (The Big Fall, I am looking at you here.)

LM, I would agree that it would be interesting to know FD and SK's favorite episodes, but I wonder at this point if they remember enough detail to have any favorites. They always seem pretty fuzzy on even broad specifics. ("Alex? I thought his name was Steve?" Ahem.) I do not blame them. They had to memorize a script in a few days, only to have to forget it quickly such as to be able to memorize a new one the following week.

In XF, David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson have been asked this question so many times that they have their answers memorized. Stretch them beyond those simple replies, though, and things start getting hazy in a hurry, especially for her. Hee.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:06 pm 
Site Admin

---------
syntax6 wrote:
Yes, 25+ years worth of distance gives one a rather clear-eyed picture of what worked and what didn't. It seems to me that Hunter was actually four different shows operating under the same name:

Hunter I -- the first season, with the catch-phrases, cartoon violence and Dirty Harry feel
Hunter II -- seasons 2 through 4, with slightly more sophisticated plotting, tons of Hunter/McCall interaction, introduction of fun and believable side characters (Finn, Devane, Carlos, Sporty, etc.)
Hunter III -- seasons 5 through 6, with its West LA focus, more intricate plotting and with greatly reduced shared screen time for Hunter and McCall, especially in season 6.
Hunter IV -- season 7, the post McCall year

The standouts through the seasons are the ones that managed to combine the best of the good (Hunter/McCall interaction and a well-executed plot), but clearly for fans, if there is enough fun H/M screen time, then the plot hardly matters. (The Big Fall, I am looking at you here.)

LM, I would agree that it would be interesting to know FD and SK's favorite episodes, but I wonder at this point if they remember enough detail to have any favorites. They always seem pretty fuzzy on even broad specifics. ("Alex? I thought his name was Steve?" Ahem.) I do not blame them. They had to memorize a script in a few days, only to have to forget it quickly such as to be able to memorize a new one the following week.

In XF, David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson have been asked this question so many times that they have their answers memorized. Stretch them beyond those simple replies, though, and things start getting hazy in a hurry, especially for her. Hee.

I doubt that they would remember very much of the episodes, and that's understandable, especially with time having passed, other work coming to them, personal lives, etc.

I have a small part in a movie that I hope comes to light, and I wonder about going - "Oh, yeah. I remember doing that movie twenty years ago, but I don't remember saying those lines." :?

Yeah, I remember during SK's online chat with friends and how she was asked about Alex Turnan and she didn't recall him. It would have helped if the fans had given her a clue as to what episode, what his occupation was, that he took McCall away to London...just something to go on. :lol:
I ended up telling her that Dee Dee had married Dr. Alexander Turnan and they moved to London. She remembered, then. :)

Quite some time ago, she mentioned how surprising it is that fans still recall so much from "Hunter" and that she doesn't. I told her it's because fans are often watching the episodes over and over. I seriously doubt that's something she's up to. :lol: I don't remember a lot of the episodes that aren't favorites, and still need a refresher at times with those that are favorites.

Profile E-mail