It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Something that bothers me…
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 10:37 am 

Location: What kind of question is that? At my computer, silly!
This is slightly OT, JAG related, almost warrants an appointment with Dr. Tate, and can be connected to all the shows.

So, moving on…

I know that with every show, each fan will favor one star/actor/character over the other. That’s natural. I shouldn’t do it, but I have a few fave students! I mean, of course the well behaved, well mannered, and good students will be your favorite. Just ask any teacher!

But, I don’t get carried away like some fans do….
I frequent a DJE board and a CB board, and it makes me sick every time the DJE fans downplay Catherine’s role in JAG and vice versa. It just makes me so mad! They were both the stars…they made the show! (Now, I’m sure some Meg and Kate fans would disagree…but…)

Also hate when people who are fans of a particular actor feel they should like EVERYTHING the actor has been in. Why? And then they downplay the other actor’s shows. Some people feel that CB is a bigger star because she has been in more “hits” since JAG ended. And that it’s about time she has all the stardom with out DJE. :| They also feel that DJE is less of an actor because since JAG/Close to Home ended, he hasn’t been in weekly TV shows, and he’s been in lots of smaller projects. Well, that was what HE wanted! I mean, he did well with JAG, but for him it was time to move on. I admire him, because after JAG ended he made sure his family came first. That is why he didn’t want to be on weekly television.

I also find it interesting that some CB fans quit watching AW because of the storyline the writers gave Denise. :| That doesn’t make any sense to me. She is an actress doing her job. Why give up because you don’t think it is “good enough” for her? Can they not separate Denise and Mac? Part of the reason why Catherine took the job was because the two characters were so different.

Okay….enough for now. I’ll leave you with a question or two, though.

Does one star carry the show? Or is it the chemistry between the two stars that make the show great? (i.e. Hunter Season 1-6 vs. Season 7)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Something that bothers me…
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:32 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
This is slightly OT, JAG related, almost warrants an appointment with Dr. Tate, and can be connected to all the shows.

Interesting topic! Should we call the good doctor to join us? LOL! Not to worry. The topic is fine where it is. :)

Quote:
So, moving on…

I know that with every show, each fan will favor one star/actor/character over the other. That’s natural. I shouldn’t do it, but I have a few fave students! I mean, of course the well behaved, well mannered, and good students will be your favorite. Just ask any teacher!

So true. And in some cases, it may be that a fan is more into the actor because they're the opposite sex/physical attraction. :D
Ooh, I know what you mean about the students. As a former focus counselor, I was in the same boat. :|

Quote:
But, I don’t get carried away like some fans do….
I frequent a DJE board and a CB board, and it makes me sick every time the DJE fans downplay Catherine’s role in JAG and vice versa. It just makes me so mad! They were both the stars…they made the show! (Now, I’m sure some Meg and Kate fans would disagree…but…)

Oh, I know. I've had some encounters where some people felt that one star was the entire show....basically the entire world. Gaah! Get a grip on reality! :roll: :lol:
Yes, one co-lead may be favored more than the other, but they're a team in making the show work...using chemistry to do so. You can't have much chemistry as a solo act. :lol:

Quote:
Also hate when people who are fans of a particular actor feel they should like EVERYTHING the actor has been in. Why? And then they downplay the other actor’s shows. Some people feel that CB is a bigger star because she has been in more “hits” since JAG ended. And that it’s about time she has all the stardom with out DJE. They also feel that DJE is less of an actor because since JAG/Close to Home ended, he hasn’t been in weekly TV shows, and he’s been in lots of smaller projects. Well, that was what HE wanted! I mean, he did well with JAG, but for him it was time to move on. I admire him, because after JAG ended he made sure his family came first. That is why he didn’t want to be on weekly television.

I hear that.
I've had people to really seem offended because I don't like every single thing that an actor does. I honestly don't think they really, really like every single thing, either, but feel they'll be letting the actor down if they don't. How would they even know? LOL! I mean, really....the actors themselves don't even like everything they've done. :lol:
I'm proud of any actor who takes time for family and for self. They need a break from being a character.

It was DJE's and CB's decisions to do what they felt was right for them. I'm sure they want fans to be happy, but we shouldn't be first in their lives. Too bad some fans think otherwise.

Quote:
I also find it interesting that some CB fans quit watching AW because of the storyline the writers gave Denise. That doesn’t make any sense to me. She is an actress doing her job. Why give up because you don’t think it is “good enough” for her? Can they not separate Denise and Mac? Part of the reason why Catherine took the job was because the two characters were so different.

That trips me out! LOL!
She an ACTRESS who likes change. Would she like to be one who is type cast in the business? I should hope not! It's obvious that she doesn't, though, isn't it? I guess some didn't like her in The Good Witch , either because she's not at all like Mac. :roll:
I love that she's playing the part of Denise. It shows us that she's great at playing a very vunerable woman who isn't sure of who she is, but is willing to learn.

Quote:
Okay….enough for now. I’ll leave you with a question or two, though.

Does one star carry the show? Or is it the chemistry between the two stars that make the show great? (i.e. Hunter Season 1-6 vs. Season 7)

I'm sure that some actors love to believe that they do. LOL!
I honestly don't feel that one carries more than the other in either of these shows. The chemistry between the actors is great and it shines from within their characters. :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 10:48 pm 

Location: What kind of question is that? At my computer, silly!
Quote:
Interesting topic! Should we call the good doctor to join us?

Let’s put him on standby. LOL!

Quote:
Oh, I know. I've had some encounters where some people felt that one star was the entire show....basically the entire world. Gaah! Get a grip on reality!

I know. Isn’t that crazy?! I know we've touched on this before in an email or two.

Quote:
I hear that.
I've had people to really seem offended because I don't like every single thing that an actor does. I honestly don't think they really, really like every single thing, either, but feel they'll be letting the actor down if they don't. How would they even know? LOL! I mean, really....the actors themselves don't even like everything they've done.

I hear ya. What gives?

Quote:
Too bad some fans think otherwise.

It’s a shame, I guess some people felt like that when Stepfanie left “Hunter”.

Quote:
That trips me out! LOL!
She an ACTRESS who likes change. Would she like to be one who is type cast in the business? I should hope not! It's obvious that she doesn't, though, isn't it? I guess some didn't like her in The Good Witch , either because she's not at all like Mac.
I love that she's playing the part of Denise. It shows us that she's great at playing a very vunerable woman who isn't sure of who she is, but is willing to learn.

I know! I read another comment today that said they want to see Catherine in something where they can truly like the character and not “worry that she’ll get cr*pped on like with AW”. WHAT? I just don’t get it! Are people that obsessed with her that they think the storyline is hurting her? I mean seriously. Some fans need to learn to separate the character from the actress/actor.
Or are people just really naive? AW is based on the real world. Things like Denise’s storyline happen in real life sadly enough. Can these people not accept that this stuff happens?

Quote:
I'm sure that some actors love to believe that they do. LOL!
I honestly don't feel that one carries more than the other in either of these shows. The chemistry between the actors is great and it shines from within their characters.

LOL! Yes, some stars take an ego trip. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:49 am 

Well I have to say I haven't liked everything that SK has done outside Hunter, but I haven't seen everything she has done by any means. And it wasn't so much her performance I had a problem with, more the scripts/storylines.

And you could say the chemisty plays a very important part. Hunter's season 7 just wasn't the same without McCall was it? He didn't have that chemistry with SK's replacements.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 4:27 pm 
Site Admin

Okay, Dr. Tate is on standby. LOL!

HATBC wrote:
I know! I read another comment today that said they want to see Catherine in something where they can truly like the character and not “worry that she’ll get cr*pped on like with AW”. WHAT? I just don’t get it! Are people that obsessed with her that they think the storyline is hurting her? I mean seriously. Some fans need to learn to separate the character from the actress/actor.
Or are people just really naive? AW is based on the real world. Things like Denise’s storyline happen in real life sadly enough. Can these people not accept that this stuff happens?

That AW comment. OMGoodness. What in the world are these people thinking?! If they're really fans of hers, they'd be happy and proud of her for stepping out and into something that so many people can relate to. More people can see themselves in the lives of the AWs, over the life of a JAG. Come on, people! :roll: Her role as Denise during the first season touched a lot of lives, I'm sure, as so many women are abused by husbands and sons,...even daughters. They may have found hope by knowing they're not alone and that it even happens in military families.

Yes, I believe that some people are truly that naive. Scary.

Some people get so obsessed with a character and just can't accept the actor as anything else. Not good.

HATBC wrote:
LOL! Yes, some stars take an ego trip. :lol:

They should take much shorter trips. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 4:56 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Well I have to say I haven't liked everything that SK has done outside Hunter, but I haven't seen everything she has done by any means. And it wasn't so much her performance I had a problem with, more the scripts/storylines.

Maybe you should see more of her work outside of "Hunter". I'd like to think you'd find something more to like. If not, then that's just how you feel, of course.

If you don't mind answering - What did you not like about the storylines or scripts?
I loved that she branched out to so many different characters, though I may not have liked one or two movies as much as I love other. Terror at London Bridge wasn't good, IMO, but I blame the execs for that.

Quote:
And you could say the chemisty plays a very important part. Hunter's season 7 just wasn't the same without McCall was it? He didn't have that chemistry with SK's replacements.

I honestly don't believe that the chemistry was supposed to be as strong as with Stepfanie/Dee Dee. It's more realistic to me that they gave him one true best friend/partner, and that no other could be exactly like her in his new partnership. Fans complain that the show was horrible w/o SK. No, it wasn't all that great, but it had some decent moments. But if Rick had found the same chemistry with another female partner, fans would complain about that, too, I'm sure.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:28 am 

I would like to see more that she has done outside of Hunter, but they haven't been released over here. I quite liked (from what I can remember) "Take my daughters please" but I guess I thought "Twin Sisters" was a bit seedy in places. I think that's what put me off. She performed the parts well, but I didn't like the whole atmosphere of the film. I haven't seen much else that she has done.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:02 am 
Site Admin

---------
You could have someone send you the movies.

I can understand that people have different tastes when it comes to movies, so if Twin Sisters' theme wasn't your thing, then so be it. I really liked her in that movie....seeing her as a bad girl.
:)

Profile E-mail