It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: So get this...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:40 pm 

Location: What kind of question is that? At my computer, silly!
The Governor wants to tack 20 days onto the school year and TAKE AWAY THE SNOWDAYS!!!! Um, excuse me? Ugh. That's wrong on SO many levels and I'm not just saying that because I like my summers and snowdays.

The teachers here and throughout the state are ticked! I hate how these political people just waltz right in and think they know what is best for the children. They DON'T know. THEY aren't the TEACHERS! By the time Memorial Day comes around the poor kids are exhausted and tested out. They can't make it for another 20 days.

And DO NOT get me started on snowdays. We have bad winters here. The last thing we need is for the Sup.Intend. to stop calling snowdays because we'll have to make the days up. We have really bad winters. The last thing this world needs if for a busload of kids to get hurt because of icy roads. God forbid if someone would die, it would be on their(the state, the BOE, the super...) hands.

Uggh. :roll:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: So get this...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:56 am 

Oh that's not good. I wonder how your school holidays over there compare to ours over here. We have various one week and 2 week holidays and then 6 weeks off over the summer.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:54 am 

I bet they're not going to tack on any more $$$ to your paycheck!?!?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:08 am 

9Catsz wrote:
I bet they're not going to tack on any more $$$ to your paycheck!?!?

Nope! And thank goodness we took a pay freeze, b/c if we didn't, they would have taken $$$ away! :roll:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:42 pm 

clare wrote:
Oh that's not good. I wonder how your school holidays over there compare to ours over here. We have various one week and 2 week holidays and then 6 weeks off over the summer.

It's a little different over here. Years ago, we used to go back to school on Sept.5 and get out on June 7. Now, we go back on August 29 or September 1st, and get on June 10. (with little days off mixed in there)

We have one week off for Christmas, and another full week off for Easter. Then, we're off for one day (used to be two) in October for conferences, four days off in November for Thanksgiving, and a week off for Xmas in December. After that, we're off for, MLK Jr. Day in Jan, four days off President's Day weekend in Feb, March/April is Easter, Memorial Day in May and that is it until school is out for summer!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:11 pm 

HATBC,

Could I ask what state you're in?

Karen

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:06 pm 

OH

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:41 am 
Site Admin

HATBC wrote:
The Governor wants to tack 20 days onto the school year and TAKE AWAY THE SNOWDAYS!!!! Um, excuse me? Ugh. That's wrong on SO many levels and I'm not just saying that because I like my summers and snowdays.

The teachers here and throughout the state are ticked! I hate how these political people just waltz right in and think they know what is best for the children. They DON'T know. THEY aren't the TEACHERS! By the time Memorial Day comes around the poor kids are exhausted and tested out. They can't make it for another 20 days.

And DO NOT get me started on snowdays. We have bad winters here. The last thing we need is for the Sup.Intend. to stop calling snowdays because we'll have to make the days up. We have really bad winters. The last thing this world needs if for a busload of kids to get hurt because of icy roads. God forbid if someone would die, it would be on their(the state, the BOE, the super...) hands.

Uggh. :roll:

This sooo not a good thing. Ugh! :roll:

I'd like to think that SI and those on the BOE would consider what it would be like if they had kids who had to be on dangerous icy/snowy roads. It's bad enough for the staff to be out in cars. Wow!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:40 pm 

I know. I know. It just makes me so mad.

I know that the SI doesn't have any kids, and I'm not sure how many people on the BOE have kids. :|

So far, nothing has been set in stone, but that is subject to change. My cousin said her health teacher said to the class "I invited the governor to spend the day with my class sometime. After he makes it through a day with me, there is no way he will make you guys spend another 20 days with me." I had to LOL at that. That teacher is not well liked by the students so, I was surprised she said that to them! :shock:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:59 pm 
Site Admin

I guess the teacher has heard the gossip about him/herself. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:02 pm 

:lol: I guess she must have!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:48 am 

where we lived last year (i tend to move a lot to find work, but then finally realize work ISNT for me and i should just stay in this little town and raise my family and work odd jobs) anyways.... they cut 30 days off the school year at the end, during the middle of the year.. was NOT good!!!!! They cut all sports and music as well. Some other school teams from surrounding towns got together and had HUGE car washes, bake sales, bottle drives, anything they could do to raise enough money for their friends to have a cross country team.. it was so great to see the sportsmanship among town rivals!!!
We don't have a music teacher in Mitchell this year, however my friend volunteered to do 2 days a week music with the kids.. she also told the superintendent that her and i would be doing the Christmas and Spring programs.. i was like WHA? haha... ok!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:30 pm 

What a shame! :| I agree that it would have been great to see rival towns/teams work together....although, personally, I'm to to competitive to do something like that. LOL!

So far, there hasn't been any updates here. And I'm going with the no news is good news cliche!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:18 pm 

I think it's just disgusting that they can take away sports and music in schools. Kids spend so much of their time in school and their life cannot just focus on academia with no outlet for creativity. It's also great for morale to be part of a team or music group and gives some kids a much needed place to be after school on some days. It's nice to see some people won't take it lying down!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:12 am 

with my little town, since i was in high school.. we had to Combine with the neighboring town in our league to have a football or volleyball team.... For the last 16 years it has been going on... mind you they almost let 3rd grade play grade school sports this year simply because there is only 4 girls in 5-8th!....

They realized though they would only gain 3 girls... 2 tall, but very scared of the ball flying at their little faces!!!
My kids are in classrooms of 3 grades each.. BLade has 3 in K, 2 in 1st and 3 in 2nd.. Ali.. has 3 in 3rd, 1 in 4th, and 2 in 5th..... That is our grade school! We have a dormatory boarding school that started my senior year in 93 to keep the high school open.. housing 20 students, MOST are in the exchange program and come from all over the world... its wonderful to grow so attached to them. They are all so special. All kids help out in all grades and its a great school.....

i didnt mean to go on so long... ha... OH WELL.. hahah gives ya something to read!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:06 pm 

Wow. Now, that's a small town! I moved around a lot when I was growing up, but the town I lived in when I graduated high school was pretty small - there were 49 in my graduating class. It was quite difficult for me to get to know anyone because I was THE new girl (only one in the whole school). I eventually met another "new" girl who had been there for 8 years! lol

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:10 pm 

Oh, geez! I thought I lived in a small town...my graduating class at about 515! I guess I was wrong. LOL!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:25 pm 

HAHAH, 515 is ALOT... our population is 200! i graduated one of 8, and started first grade with 3 of those... lol

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:43 am 

LOL! Yeah, I guess it would be! :shock: :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:11 am 
Site Admin

---------
HATBC wrote:
clare wrote:

It's a little different over here. Years ago, we used to go back to school on Sept.5 and get out on June 7. Now, we go back on August 29 or September 1st, and get on June 10. (with little days off mixed in there)

We have one week off for Christmas, and another full week off for Easter. Then, we're off for one day (used to be two) in October for conferences, four days off in November for Thanksgiving, and a week off for Xmas in December. After that, we're off for, MLK Jr. Day in Jan, four days off President's Day weekend in Feb, March/April is Easter, Memorial Day in May and that is it until school is out for summer!

I thought it was a bit more than a week off for Christmas. Did I miss something? I haven't worked in the school system for about three years, soo.... :|
I know they were getting out usually two days or so before Christmas and return about two days after New Year's Day, all depending on the weekends.

Profile E-mail