The His Badge Her Badge Fan & Fan Fiction Forum

Featuring Hunter, JAG, Law & Order:SVU, and The X-Files
It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: San Diego Blues - Chapter Three
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 7:15 pm 

Location: What kind of question is that? At my computer, silly!
---------
San Diego Blues – Chapter Three

- - -

“What’d we miss?” Hunter asked McCall. “I’m confused.”

“That makes two of us,” she whispered.

The two officers walked closer to Mac and Harm. “Who’s Palmer?” McCall asked.

Mac ran her fingers through her hair and sat down on the couch. “Clark Palmer has had a grudge against my husband for years. Well, I guess he had a grudge against both of us really. Harm and I were prosecuting a crooked NCIS officer…

- - - Flashback - - -

“Has the jury reached the verdict?” the judge asked.

“We have, Your Honor. “

“Proceed.”

“We find the defendant, Clark Palmer, guilty on all charges.”

Palmer stood up and yelled, “This won’t be the last of me, Commander, Major! I’ll be back!”

The judge banged her gavel, “Officers, remove this man at once!” she ordered.

- - - End Flashback - - -

Mac shuddered. “Ever since, he’s been out to get Harm.”

“I have two questions,” Hunter stated.

“Ask away,” Mac said.

“One – what happened after he was convicted?”

“Well, he was sent to prison, but he got out each time. He’s very smart … has a very high IQ, and he’s … well … a sociopath is what he is. “

“What other attempts did he make in the past to hurt the two of you?”

“Oh, let’s see. He kidnapped Harm, tried to kill him by planting a bomb in his apartment, tried to trick him into killing his former girlfriend and he charged $800,000 to his credit card.”

Hunter nodded, “Alright. So he said he’d be out to get the both of you, but from what you told us, it seems like he has been after Commander Rabb the most. Any idea why?”

“Sorta,” Mac said. “Harm did most of the prosecuting. I sat second chair.”

“Is there anyone Lt. McCall or I can call to verify there is a Clark Palmer out there?”

Harm scoffed, “How about half the JAG Corp?”

Mac elbowed him in the ribs, “Stop that!” she snapped.

“Ow! What was that for?”

“Be serious! Please!”

“I was being serious!”

Mac rolled her eyes at Harm and the turned her attention back to Hunter, “Lt. Hunter, if you wouldn’t mind coming with me I could get you those numbers.”

“Of, course.”

“Right this way,” she led him down the hall to the den.

When Mac opened the door, a very spacious room was revealed. Hunter walked in the room and looked it over. There were two desks that sat at opposite ends of the room but faced one another. Each desk had several family photos on it, a USA flag and a few Navy and/or Marine items, as well as a laptop and a few other electronics.

Mac walked over to her desk, opened the drawer and pulled out a little address book with roses on the front.

First, she opened up to “C” and copied down AJ’s number on a piece of her customized stationary that read “Sarah” at the top. After that, she flipped to “R” and copied down Bud and Harriet’s number.

“Okay,” she said as she looked up. “This first number here belongs to former Admiral AJ Chedwiggen and the second one belongs to Lt. Bud Roberts and his wife Lt. Harriet Sims. “

“Thank you,” Hunter told her as he folded the paper up and put it in his pocket.

“Oh, before I forget the Admiral is coming tomorrow …” That was when the initial shock hit Mac. “He doesn’t know yet … Bud and Harriet don’t know yet … “ she said as she paced up and down. “How am I supposed to tell them that the girls were kidnapped? H-how can we track down Palmer? What if we’re already too late? …” Her mind flooded with hundreds or “what if” type questions.

Hunter placed his hands on her shoulders and looked her in the eye, “We’re gonna find your kids and bring them home. But first there’s one thing McCall and I need.”

“Anything.”

“We need to work on this one together with JAG on this one.”

“Yeah … yeah. Okay. I think I can arrange that.”

- - -

Mac and Hunter returned to the living room and saw McCall and Harm talking. When Harm saw Mac and Hunter return, out of a sign of respect, he stood up.

“Well, once again, thank you, Mrs. Rabb,” Hunter said.

Mac wiped another tear away and nodded.

Hunter walked over to McCall, “We better get going. We have a few calls to make.”

“Okay.” McCall opened up her purse and pulled out a business card. Then she walked over to Mac and said, “This card had my work number and my cell. And on the back there is my home number. You can reach me 24/7. Okay? Call me if anything comes up.”

Mac accepted the card.

“Thank you, Lieutenant,” Harm said. “I’ll show you out.”

When they got outside and stood on the porch it started to pour down rain.

“Uh, Hunter …” McCall started.

“What?”

“Would you, uh, mind if I asked you to go to the car and get the umbrella?”

“Why do you need an umbrella? It’s only a little bit of water.”

“I just got my hair done!” she protested.

Hunter rolled his eyes, “Fine.”

“Thank you.” McCall watched Hunter walk down the driveway. “Commander, will Mrs. Rabb be okay?” she asked.

Harm shrugged, “I hope so. She’s a Marine…. But nothing they teach in the Marines will help you when your family is in danger.”

“I know what you mean,” McCall whispered. “Well, I better meet him halfway.” McCall started to walk down the driveway, “Call anytime, Commander. Anytime.” She called.

“Thank you, ma’am.”

- - -

An hour later, when Harm was walking up the stairs, he heard Mac crying. First he looked in their room. He didn’t see her, but he still heard her. Then he realized she was in the master bathroom.

Harm knocked on the closed door, “Mac, it’s me. Can I come in?” he whispered.

“It’s open,” she whispered back.

Harm nudged the door open. When the door opened he saw Mac sitting on the floor with her back against the bathtub. She was wearing the silky pink pajamas that Jennifer and Elizabeth got her for Mother’s Day.

“They just gave me these pajamas a few months ago …” she trailed off and looked up at Harm with tears in her eyes.

Harm sat next to Mac on the floor and cradled her shaking form, “We’re gonna find them and bring them home. I promise,” he said.

“Don’t make a promise you can’t keep, Sailor,” she sobbed.

Harm brushed her hair away from her ear and whispered, “I haven’t yet,” as tears welled in his own eyes.

- - -

As you can tell, I have taken a number of liberties. But it is my story. LOL!

Profile E-mail