The His Badge Her Badge Fan & Fan Fiction Forum

Featuring Hunter, JAG, Law & Order:SVU, and The X-Files
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: San Diego Blues - Chapter Four
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 7:16 pm 

Location: What kind of question is that? At my computer, silly!
---------
San Diego Blues – Chapter Four

- - -
Robert’s Residence
Alexandria, Virginia
1325 Local
- - -

“Roberts’ Residence,” Harriet answered when the phone rang.

“Is this Lt. Sims?” McCall asked.

“That would be correct.”

“You don’t know me, but my name is DeeDee McCall. I’m a police officer with the San Diego Police Department.”

“The San Diego Police Department?” she questioned. “What’s going on, ma’am?”

McCall really didn’t know how to put, so she tried her best. “There’s been a mishap with the Rabbs.”

“What?! Is the Commander all right? What about the Colonel? Is she okay?”

“They’re fine –“

“Jennifer and Elizabeth?”

“Mrs. Roberts,” DeeDee started. “It appears that Jennifer, Elizabeth, and Chloe were kidnapped.”

Harriet could barely breathe. “Oh, God! H-how are the Commander and Colonel holding up, ma’am?”

“The best they can.”

“Bud and I will fly right out.”

“I have a question first.”

“Okay.”

“What do you know about a Clark Palmer?”

“Is he back?”

“Commander and Mrs. Rabb believe that he might have had something to do with the disappearance of their children.”

“It wouldn’t surprise me if he did, ma’am,” she admitted.

- - -
Same Time
- - -
“Chedwiggen,” AJ said into his phone.

“As in Admiral AJ Chedwiggen?” Hunter asked.

“Well, I’m retired now, but that would be correct.”

“I’m Lt. Hunter with the San Diego Police Department. Do you have time to answer a question?”

“Sure.”

“Do you know of a Clark Palmer?”

AJ’s instincts were starting to kick in, “Did he go after Harm and Mac again?”

“Uh, in a sense.”

“What do you mean … “in a sense”?”

“The Rabb children were kidnapped this morning and Commander and Mrs. Rabb think that Clark Palmer was involved.”

“He’s gone too far this time. I was supposed to fly out tomorrow, but I’ll get on the next plane out. ”

- - -

Harriet hung up the phone and sat down at the table. “Bud!” she called. “Bud! Come here!”

Bud came running into the kitchen. “Are you okay, Harriet? What happened?”

“That was the San Diego PD on the phone. They called to notify us that … um … that Elizabeth and Jennifer were kidnapped today.”

Bud was at a loss for words and his eyes grew wide. “Uh, do they have a suspect?” he finally managed to get out.

Harriet nodded. “The officer I talked to said that Harm and Mac think that it was Clark Palmer.”

“We need to get out there.”

“Yeah, that’s what I said.”

“I’ll see what flights are available.”

“Okay. When you do that I’ll call my mom.”

- - -
Rabb Residence
1633 Local
- - -

It took Mac awhile, but she finally fell asleep, safely, in her husband’s arms.

“Mac?” Harm whispered.

Mac mumbled something that was inaudible to him.

“Mac, I’m gonna bring you to the other room. Okay? Okay. Let’s go.”

Harm shifted her in his arms and carefully stood up.

Mac mumbled something else before she buried her face in the crook of Harm’s neck.

“It’s okay,” Harm said softly once again. “I’m right here.”

Harm gently placed her down on their bed.

He started to walk away, however, Mac grabbed his arm. “Stay with me. I need you,” she said.

“I’m not going anywhere,” he assured her as he walked around to the other side of the bed.

- - -
SD Police Department
Same Time
- - -

McCall sighed as she looked over another folder on Palmer. “How many more?” she asked Hunter.

Hunter pointed to a stack of files on his desk. “Six or seven.”

“Mrs. Rabb was right. This Palmer was one crooked NCIS officer. Look at this, fraud is on there at least seven times for cryin’ out loud!”

“When I talked to their former CO he said he’d bring more files on Palmer.”

“More? There’s more?”

“Yeah, the court stuff I think.”

Their conversation was cut short when McCall’s phone rang. “McCall,” she said.

“Lt. McCall, this is Harriet Roberts. We spoke earlier.”

“What can I do for you?”

“This is kinda strange and all …”

“Is there anything I can help with?”

“My husband and I got a flight out to San Diego. But um …”

“Do you need a ride?” McCall asked, even though she was pretty sure that was what Harriet was calling about.

“Yes … if that’s not a bother. You see, ma’am, Harm and Mac usually pick us up from the airport, and we don’t have time to tack down a rental car.”

“I understand. How will my partner and I find you?”

Harriet shifted the cordless phone on her shoulder as she opened the closet door. She grabbed the first thing she saw. “My husband and I will be wearing matching “Navy” shirts and blue jeans.”

“Alright.”

“How will we find you?”

“Um, that’s a good question. Hang on a second.” McCall turned the phone away from her mouth, “Hunter,” she started.

He looked up from the file, “Yeah.”

“Do you still have your navy blue and white LAPD windbreaker?”

“Yep.”

“Do you know where it is?”

“In the hall closet.”

“Okay, good.” McCall directed her attention back to the caller, “My partner and I will be wearing matching LAPD windbreakers. They’re navy blue with white lettering.”

“Thank you so much, ma’am. We really do appreciate it … I know Harm and Mac do, too.”

“What time will your flight get in?”

“Around eight-thirty your time.”

- - -

The baby kicked Mac hard in the back, “OW!” she screamed as she jolted up in the bed.

Harm jolted up right with her, “Mac?”

“Oh, my … my back,” she winced.

As and instinct, Harm wrapped his arms just beneath her shoulders, like he always did.

Mac cooperated with her husband and pressed her back against him as she remembered the first time they did that. It was before they were married … before the were engaged … and before they were “officially” dating …

- - - Flashback - - -

“You’ll always be there?” Mac asked once again.

“I promise I will. Is something wrong with you? What happened when you went to see the doctor today?”

“You really need to know what the doctor said, then … I have …. I have …”

“You have what?”

“An “illness”.”

“Illness? Wh-what kind …” he trailed off as he placed his hand underneath her chin.

“Endometriosis,” she spoke softly.

Harm was no doctor, but from what he did know, he knew that it was going to be a long bumpy road for Mac.

There was silence between them for several moments, “Say something, Harm,” Mac begged. “Please. I jus- I- Say something.”

Harm brought his finger to her lips as an attempted for her to stop from talking. “When’s your next appointment?”

“Monday at 1300 hours.”

“I’m going with you,” he said quickly, a bit too quickly. “If you want me to that is.”

Mac fought back some tears. “I want you to come.”

“Okay, I’ll come. I’m going to help you fight this thing. And you definitely shouldn’t have to go through it alone.”

“Th-thank you.”

Harm wiped away one of the tears that escaped her eyes.

---
Before they knew it, Monday was there. Mac was in the waiting room anxiously tapping he fingers on a magazine, “Okay, Harmon Rabb Jr., where are you,” she thought.

It seemed like right after she thought that, the door opened and in stepped the tall, handsome lawyer. When he was looking in her direction, Mac waved at him. Harm saw her and walked over to her.

“Here, sit down,” she said as she removed her purse from the chair next to her.

Harm sat in the chair next to her and Mac continued, “I was beginning to think that you changed your mind and weren’t going to come.” She said as she stared at the wall, avoiding his gaze.

“Mac, that’s crazy,” he said. “I promised you something and I keep my promises. Especially this one.”

“What took you so long?”

“I got a little tied up in court, and the road was blocked due to an accident.”

She turned to look at him, and with a small, sad smile said, “Okay, I’m just glad you’re here now.”

---

“Colonel, I need you to sit still,” the doctor repeated as he looked up at her.

“Get your hands off of me,” she hissed through clenched teeth. “STOP!”

“Mac, what can I do to help you?” Harm asked.

“I-I-I don’t know.”

“Look me in the eyes.”

Mac shook her head, “No, no, no. I can’t.”

“Why not?”

“Because I don’t want you to change your mind. I need you here.”

Harm knew that this was ******* Mac and she wasn’t thinking clearly so he said the first thing that came to his mind, “Mac, I’m not going to leave you. I promise.”

The doctor poked around some more and Mac scooted back.

“Sir, please control your wife,” the doctor said to Harm.

“He is not my husband!” she said with clenched teeth.

“Is there anything you can give her for the pain?” Harm asked the doctor. It broke his heart to see Mac in that much pain.

“I’m afraid not.”

Harm walked back over to Mac and put his arms just beneath her shoulders to stop her from squirming around. She fought with every once of Marine in her to get out his embrace, but she failed.

“Try to relax,” the doctor said as he adjusted his gloves.

“You want me to relax? Are you insane? How can I relax when you are poking around inside me?”

“If you relax, ma’am, it won’t be as painful.”

Mac scoffed, “Yeah right.”

Harm still had his arms wrapped around her, “Sarah,” he soothed, “why don’t we talk about something … happy?”

“Okay, like what?”

“I don’t know, maybe –“ he was cut off when Mac drew in a sharp breath. “You okay?”

“What do you think, Commander? OW! Make it stop, Harm. Please. Make it stop!”

“I wish I could, Mac. I really do. But I can’t, it’ll be over soon.”

“Just a few more minutes,” the doctor said.

“A few more minutes of agony!” Mac corrected. “Damn it!”

“Let’s talk about Bud and Harriet’s wedding,” Harm suggested.

But Mac really wasn’t listening, “Oh, ****,” she mumbled. “This is pure hell. ****.”

Harm couldn’t help but to smile a bit. Mac was a Marine, she never talked like that, but when the time called for it, she sure could have the mouth of a Sailor.

- - - End Flashback - - -

“MAC!” Harm repeated for what seemed like the one-hundredth time.

“Oh, I’m sorry. What was that?”

“Are you okay? You seemed like you were a million miles away.”

“Yeah, I’m fine. I guess I was a million miles away.”

“What’s on your mind?”

“I was thinking about the first time we had to do this.”

Harm removed his arms from her shoulders and started to rub her back, “Yeah, I remember that, too. Didn’t you threaten Dr. Fryer with a lawsuit?”

Mac laughed, “Yeah, I think so.”

“What for?”

“I don’t remember. But I do remember one thing he said … everyday.”

“Which one are you referring to?”

“When he said I couldn’t have any kids. Do you know how much that hurt to hear him say that?”

“Oh, Mac. He said that, yes. But you overcame the endometriosis.”

“Not completely,” she corrected.

“But it’s not as bad as it was before?”

“Yeah. That’s true.”

Harm, not knowing what to say, nodded.

“I felt so guilty when he said that I probably couldn’t have any kids.”

“Why would you feel guilty?”

“Because of our baby deal. I didn’t want to let you down.”

“Mac, you will never let me down. You are the mother of my two beautiful daughters and you are carrying my son. You will never be able to let me down.”

“What if something would have gone wrong? I would have let you down.”

“No, you wouldn’t have let me down.”

“Why?”

“Because it wouldn’t have been your fault.”

“What if something goes wrong this time?”

“We’re lawyers, Mac. We deal with facts not speculations and “what ifs”.”

“There was an eighty percent chance that I’d loose one of the girls.”

“That’s an average … there’s a difference between and average and a proven fact.”

“But –“

“Mac, stop that,” he said calmly. “Stay positive.”

“Up a little bit.” A few minutes passed before she said, “Sometimes I feel like I’m using you … and Chloe, too.”

“You’re not using us. Where would you get an idea like that from?”

“When I’m sick and in so much pain because of the endometriosis who takes care of me? You. And who helps you take care of the girls when I can’t get out of bed? Chloe.”

“You’re not using us,” he reassured her.

“But it feels like I am.”

- - -

Chloe shifted in the seat of the SUV. “Where are we going?” she asked the driver. “I thought you said Mac was in the ER?”

Palmer didn’t answer.

Chloe looked in the back seat and saw the frightened looks Jenny and Lizzy had on their faces. “The next time we stop, can I sit in the back with them?” she asked.

“Whatever floats your boat.”

“Think,” Chloe told herself, “Think. This can’t be Harm. It looks him, but it doesn’t sound like him. The wings -- That’s it! “Harm” doesn’t have on his father’s wings. He always has his father’s wings on his uniform. Wait a second, now. They’re engraved, they say, “Harmon Rabb Sr.”, so all I have to do now it see what those wings say and I will know, without a doubt, that this isn’t Harm. Then I will have only one question … who is this imposter?”

- - -

Bud and Harriet were in such a hurry to get to the airport they didn’t even bother to pack a suitcase. Harriet quickly put together a carry on bag and decided that whatever the need during their stay in San Diego, they could pick up from the store when they arrived.

In the crowed airport Harriet spotted a familiar face, “That’s Admiral Chedwiggen,” she said to Bud.

Bud looked over to where Harriet was pointing. “That’s right. Do you think that the SDPD called him too?”

“Maybe.”

Bud picked up his pace and tried to get to the former Navy SEAL. “Admiral!” he called when he was finally close enough.

AJ turned around, “Bud! Harriet!” he exclaimed. “I take it you got a call from the SDPD.”

“Yes, sir,” Harriet answered. “Are you on your way to Harm and Mac’s, too?”

“You bet I am.”

- - -

Hunter finished putting a few things on his desk away. “You ready to go to the airport?”

McCall took a sip of her coffee, “Sure. If we get there too early do you wanna grab a bit to eat?”

“Works for me.”

McCall smiled, “The good days,” she said. “But first we have to swing by your place and my place to get the LAPD windbreakers.”

“Do you missing working for the LAPD?”

“Yeah. A part of me always will, but this a good change … for both of us.”

“You, DeeDee McCall, like change?”

McCall smiled, “Yeah. I like change. Who would have thought you’d hear those words come out of my mouth, huh?” she said with a light laugh.

“Not me,” Hunter said with a smile.

“Who’s driving?”

“I guess I am.”

McCall shot him a warning look, “Try not to make our guests car sick.”

“I’ll do my darnest. We’ll swing by your house first so you can pick up your jacket.”

“Okay.”

- - -

The Crown Victoria pulled into McCall’s driveway. “Wanna come in? I’ll only be a minute.”

“Nah, that’s okay.”

“You sure?”

“Yeah. I’ll be fine.”

McCall walked up the walkway at a fast pace and quickly unlocked the door. Once inside, she ran up the stairs to her closet and pulled out the familiar windbreaker. “Here goes nothing,” she said as she tried it on. “It fits!” she exclaimed as she looked in the mirror.

“Well, what do you think?” she asked her partner when she returned to the car.

Hunter looked her over, “Lookin’ fine.”

“You think?”

“Yeah.”

McCall fastened her seatbelt, “Next stop, your house.”

In less than five minutes they arrived at Hunter’s house.

The car jerked to a stop and McCall looked at Hunter, “Please, Hunter, tell me that you won’t do that again!”

Hunter tried not to laugh, “What? You got a little car sick?”

McCall rolled her eyes, “Look at me. I’m begging you … don’t do that again. Please.”

“I couldn’t help it, McCall. If we don’t hurry up, we’re gonna be late.”

- - -

McCall walked over to the table where Hunter was sitting and handed him is coffee. “Here you go,” she said.

“Thanks, McCall.”

McCall smiled, “No problem.”

“How much do I owe you?”

“Nothing.”

“Nothing?”

“Well, yeah. You paid last time.”

“McCall, I –“

“Hunter, I took care of it, okay?”

“Okay.”

McCall took her seat and started to pull her food out of the bag.

“What did you get?” Hunter asked.

“Oh, a soft pretzel with extra salt.”

Hunter laughed, “Your eating habits are something that haven’t changed.”

“And that won’t ever change. I’m not like you … I don’t eat rabbit food,” she joked.

Hunter took his defense, “It isn’t “rabbit food”. It’s healthy.”

McCall nodded and said with a smile, “If you say so.”

Hunter glanced at his watch; “We better get going to the gate … so we don’t miss them.”

“Just a minute,” she said before taking a bite of her pretzel.

- - -

McCall and Hunter watched each person get of the airplane. So far, they saw no one that had on a “Navy” shirt.

“Are we at the right place?” McCall asked.

“I think so. Let’s give them a minute.”

“Yeah.”

The last group of people to get off included a blonde-haired woman and a salt and pepper haired man. The two of them wore “Navy” t-shirts.

- - -

Profile E-mail