The His Badge Her Badge Fan & Fan Fiction Forum

Featuring Hunter, JAG, Law & Order:SVU, and The X-Files
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: San Diego Blues – Chapter Five
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 7:18 pm 

Location: What kind of question is that? At my computer, silly!
---------
San Diego Blues – Chapter Five

- - -

Harm placed a bowl of soup in front of his wife, “Here you go,” he said.

Mac declined and pushed it away from her, “No. I can’t.”

“Eat something, Mac. Please.”

“I wonder if they’re cold,” she said. “What if they’re hungry?”

Harm knew what she was getting at. He found himself silently asking the same questions.

Mac protectively placed her hand on her belly and felt the baby kick. It was what she really needed to feel. She needed to know that he was still there – safe and sound.

Harm let Mac’s questions pass before he pushed the bowl in front of her again. “Go on,” he encouraged. “Eat.”

Mac shook her head.

Harm felt like he did when Elizabeth or Jennifer wouldn’t eat, “Do it for me.”

“Harm, I-I-I-“

“If you won’t do it for me, do it for our son,” he said gently.

Mac glared at him. “Using our son against me? You, Harmon Rabb, of all people – how could you do that?”

“Mac, that’s not what it was supposed to mean.”

She scoffed, “Oh, really? Well, what was it supposed to mean?”

Harm rubbed his eyes with his fingers and thought, “This can take awhile.”

- - -

Hunter and McCall walked over to the people they just saw get off. The two of them took out their badges and Hunter said, “I’m Lt. Rick Hunter and this is my partner Lt. DeeDee McCall. Are you Lt. Sims?” he asked Harriet.

“Yes, sir,” she answered. “This is my husband Bud Roberts and our former CO, AJ Chedwiggen,” Harriet pointed to the man the followed a polite two-steps behind.

“Ah, yes, the Admiral and I spoke on the phone,” Hunter said.

AJ nodded, “Has any progress been made since then?”

“We’re working on it.”

“Well,” Chedwiggen started, “let’s not stand around and waste time.”

Harriet cringed at the phrase, “waste time”.

“You’re right,” McCall said. “Follow us.”

- - -

Mac and Harm were still discussing what Harm was implying when he said “do it for our son” when the doorbell chimed. “Saved by the bell,” he thought.

“Count your lucky stars, Rabb. Because we aren’t done yet … you just get a … rest … before we continue,” Mac said.

“Yes, Colonel.”

Harm got up from the table and walked to the front door. He was shocked when he saw the familiar faces that were on the other side.

Mac heard voices and wondered what was going on. So she stood up and waddled to the front door. First she saw Harriet giving Harm a hug. “Harriet! Bud! Admiral!” she exclaimed.

“Ma’am,” Bud greeted.

Harm and Mac shot Bud a warning look.

“That’s right,” Bud said. “We aren’t in the office.”

“That’s okay,” Mac said as she went to go hug him. “Your off the hook this time.”

“Thank you, ma’a … Mac.”

When Mac noticed that the Roberts children weren’t at their parents’ feet, she asked, “Where are the kids?”

“Oh,” Harriet started. “They’re over my mom’s.”

Mac nodded and dried a few tears away. “I see.”

“Admiral, are those the court-martial files on Palmer?” Harm asked when he noticed the stack of files that the Admiral was holding.

“Yes they are, Commander.”

“Lt. Hunter, if you wouldn’t minding staying for awhile we could get a jump start on this,” Harm offered.

Hunter looked over at McCall. She was engaged in a conversation with Mac and Harriet, “That’s fine,” he answered.

“Would you like some coffee?” Mac asked two of the guests.

Harriet quickly remembered back to the times when she was pregnant and the people around her were drinking coffee, “No, thanks.”

McCall declined as well. “I’m fine.”

Mac nodded, “Let me know if you change your mind. Um,” Mac looked around and already saw that the men made themselves comfortable on the couch and looking at the files, “let’s go in the kitchen.”

- - -

Bud was reading a report when something came to him, “Harm!” he said.

Harm sat up, “What? What is it, Bud; did you find something?”

Bud put the folder down on the coffee table, “Do remember when Chloe was riding her horse in the woods … ?”

“Yeah …”

“And she fell off of the horse and no one could find her …”

Harm nodded, “Yeah …”

“It was cold and raining and the search and rescue team was about to give up, but Mac had a vision. She pictured where Chloe was and then when Mac went to the woods they found her exactly were Mac had pictured it.”

At this point Hunter was completely listening as well as Harm and AJ.

“That’s right,” Harm said.

Bud continued, “Not to mention the time your plane went down.”

Harm nodded and continued the story. “It was horrible. I was trying to get home in time for Mac and Brumby’s wedding,” he tensed up a bit when he mentioned Brumby.

From Harm’s body language Hunter had a feeling that this Brumby character was like Alex. Hunter remembered back to DeeDee and Alex’s wedding. It hurt to see her marry him, but he wouldn’t dare say anything. He wanted his partner to be happy. And if anyone deserved it, it was her. Hunter stopped his trip down memory lane and listened to what Harm was saying.

“… There was a terrible storm. My plane went down and my co-pilot and I were ejected into the ocean. It was beyond cold. Everyone was about to give up, and we could have died from hypothermia, but Mac wouldn’t let it happen.”

AJ picked up the story, “I’ll never forget that night. Mac walked over to the map, pointed to a set of coordinates and said “Here,” with much certainty. I called the Skipper and told him were to look. He was rather reluctant but I told him it was an order. And sure enough, where did they find you? In the vicinity of were Mac had pointed to on the map.”

- - -

“Lt. McCall, I can’t thank you enough for picking them up from the airport for us,” Mac thanked McCall for what seemed like the tenth time in the past five minutes.

“DeeDee,” McCall corrected. “And it was no problem. It was the least we could do.”

The four men entered the kitchen, “Bud, tell Mac your idea,” Harm said.

Hunter made his way over to McCall. “What’s going on, Hunter?” she asked.

“We’re about to find out,” he answered.

“What?”

Harriet turned to her husband, “What idea?”

“Mac, remember when Chloe fell off of her horse and the Commander’s plane went down?”

Mac looked at him blankly.

“You had a vision. You found them,” Bud finished.

“Oh!” Mac gasped. “You’re a genius, Bud! I could kiss you!”

“Watch it. You’re already taken, Marine,” Harm said, trying to lighten the mood some.

Mac laughed it off and tried to relax. She felt all her muscles relax when Harm put his hand on her shoulders. Mac took a deep breath and closed here eyes. A few minutes passed before she opened her eyes and sadly said, “Nothing. Nada. Zip. Zero.”

Harm gently squeezed her shoulders.

Harriet perked up, “Maybe that’s good, ma’am.”

“I beg your pardon?” Mac replied.

Harriet tried to explain what she was thinking; “You had these visions when Chloe and Commander Rabb were in immediate danger. Maybe the girls aren’t in immediate danger.

Mac sighed, “God, Harriet, I hope your right.”

“Trust me, ma’am,” Harriet said calmly. “As a mother, I can tell you that you will know when something is wrong. I knew something was wrong before the doctors told me Sarah died. I felt it. You’ll know if something isn’t right.”

A part of Mac wondered why her friend would bring up that part of the past, but another part of her knew that Harriet was right.

- - -

Chloe climbed in the back of the Navigator and sat in between Jenny and Lizzy.

“Where are we?” Elizabeth asked.

“Mommy?” Jenny called when she woke up.

Chloe moved Jenny’s hair away from her eyes, “No. Mommy isn’t here.”

“Where Daddy taking us?” she asked.

“Um, I don’t know.” Chloe watched all the road signs, and from what she could tell, they were still in San Diego. To her, it seemed like the drove around the city all day.

“I want Mommy! I want Mommy! I want Mommy!” Jennifer cried as she curled up into a ball next to Chloe.

“I want Mommy, too!” Lizzy said as she curled up in a ball as well.

Chloe looked up and saw “Harm” making is way inside the gas station to pay.

“Call Mommy!” Elizabeth demanded.

Chloe fought back some tears, “I can’t.”

‘Why?”

“Because I don’t have my phone with me.”

“Use Mommy and Daddy’s,” Jenny suggested.

Chloe didn’t know what to say so she said, “I don’t think Daddy has his either.”

“Use the extra one.”

“What?” Chloe asked.

“The extra one,” Elizabeth said this time.

Chloe was going along with it, “Oh, uh-huh. Where is it?”

“In the box that fixes the ouchies,” Jennifer explained.

“The box that fixes the ouchies,” Chloe thought.

Jennifer continued, “You know. It’s da box that has a red cross on it.”

“Oh!” Chloe exclaimed. “The first-aid kit. Is that what you’re talking about?”

“Does it fix the ouchies?” Lizzy asked.

“Yes, it does,” Chloe answered. Then she remembered when Harm was on his big safety kick last year. He said you never could be too safe, so he went out and bought prepaid cell-phones. One for his car and one for Mac’s car. She remembered how Mac thought it was crazy, but Harm kept telling her that it was important to have an extra one. “Alright, here’s what we’re gonna do …”

- - -

“You a pilot?” the young man behind the counter asked Palmer.

“What? Oh. Yeah. Yeah. I’m a pilot.” Palmer answered. “Well, pilot turned lawyer to be correct.”

“You like being a pilot?”

“Yep. Loved it. It was my life.”

“Then why’d you turn lawyer?”

“Blame it on night blindness,” he said, “becoming a lawyer was the only way I could stay in the Navy.”

The man nodded, “I’m thinking of joining the Navy myself.”

Palmer was in no mood for chitchat, “Go enlist,” he said before turning around and leaving.

- - -

Palmer opened the door and climbed in the SUV.

“Daddy! I gotta go potty!” Lizzy said once Palmer sat down.

“I gots to go too, Daddy!” Jennifer added as she jumped up and down in her seat.

Palmer sighed and rolled his eyes.

Chloe quickly opened the door, “I got it,” she said before climbing out.

Palmer looked at her and said, “Hurry up.”

The look he gave her sent chills down Chloe’s spine as she stole a glance of the wings. One thing was clear and simple; they weren’t Harm’s wings.

- - -

Chloe and the girls entered the restroom and locked Chloe locked the door behind them. “Okay,” she said. “We have to hurry.” Chloe turned the phone on and it made a vibrating sound before lighting up. “Yes!” she exclaimed.

- - -

The Rabb’s home phone rang and Mac jumped to answer it. “Hello.”

“Mac!” came Chloe’s frightened voice.

“Chloe!” Mac exclaimed.

A few people in the room gasped before Mac said, “I’m gonna put you on the speaker phone because the police are here. Okay?”

“Yeah.”

Mac could barely control her breathing, “W-w-hat happened? Where are you?”

“Harm came to get us. He said you were in the hospital, but, Mac, I don’t think it’s him.”

Mac closed her eyes, “It isn’t him, honey.”

Chloe felt somewhat relieved, “Really?”

“He’s here with me. Talk to her, Harm.”

Harm walked closer to the phone, “Chloe, can you here me?”

“Yes.”

“Okay, good. Mac’s telling you the truth. I’m standing here with her, Bud, Harriet, the Admiral, and Lts. Hunter and McCall. The man that’s pretending to be me is Clark Palmer… Keep letting him think that you think it’s me.”

“Okay.”

“Um, where are you?”

“I don’t know we’re at some gas station. I pretty sure we’re still in San Diego, though.”

“How did you call us?”

“The cell-phone you had in the first-aid kit.”

“Keep that phone with you all the time. Just … don’t let Palmer see it.”

“Harm, I can’t talk much longer, he’ll be wondering where we are. And the girls want to talk.”

“Put them on,” Mac said.

“MOMMY!” Elizabeth and Jennifer exclaimed. “We want to go home.”

“I know, sweetheart. Mommy loves you and we’re gonna bring you home.”

Harm wanted to talk to his kids more than anything, but he didn’t. He didn’t want to scare them anymore than they all ready were.

“Hurry,” Jennifer said before the line turned to pure static.

“Jennifer! Elizabeth! Hello! Talk to Mommy!”

Harm loosened her grip on the cordless phone, “Mac,” he said softly.

Mac shook her head, “No,” she said “No.”

“Well, maybe they got something on the trace,” Hunter said.

Harm shook his head, “They called from the prepaid phone in the first-aid kit.”

The room was quiet before Harriet spoke up, “Who’s idea was it to have the cell-phone in the first –aid kit?” she asked.

“Harm’s,” Mac answered. “I thought it was one of the craziest thing I had ever heard, but he was right. It came in handy.”

McCall stood up from the table, “Hunter, can I have the keys?”

“Sure. Where are you going?”

“I wanna pick up some papers from the station. I won’t be gone long.”

“Want me to go with you?”

“No, that’s okay. Finish what papers you’re working on now. I won’t be gone long.”

- - -

“What took so long?” Palmer asked Chloe after she buckled Jennifer and Elizabeth back in their car seats.

“Um. Uh… The door was locked and we had to wait for the manager to find the key,” she lied.

- - -

Profile E-mail