The His Badge Her Badge Fan & Fan Fiction Forum

Featuring Hunter, JAG, Law & Order:SVU, and The X-Files
It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: San Diego Blues – Chapter Eight
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 7:20 pm 

Location: What kind of question is that? At my computer, silly!
---------
San Diego Blues – Chapter Eight

- - -

McCall was only able to look at Harm, because she had no idea what to say.

Three seconds, seconds that seemed more like minutes, had passed before she spoke. “Is-is he talking? What did he say?”

“Your partner told Mac to stall him while I got you,” he said as he caught his breath. He wasn’t panting because he was out of shape – that wasn’t it at all. It was because he was overwhelmed, first Chloe had called and now Palmer was on the phone.

“Let’s go,” McCall said as she slammed the car door shut.

- - -

When Harm and McCall reentered the house, they saw Harriet and Bud silently encouraging Mac as she talked to Palmer.

“It’s been nice chatting with you, Mac … but where’s that husband of yours?” he asked with a laugh – a wicked laugh.

“He’s … right here,” she choked out when she looked at Harm. Her eyes were filled with fear.

“Yeah,” Harm said.

“My, my. It’s been a long time. Hasn’t it, Commander?”

“Palmer,” Harm responded coldly.

“I talked to that beautiful wife of yours. How is she?”

“Where are they?”

“What are you talking about?”

“Oh, I think you know.”

“No, I don’t think so.”

“Why did you take my children?”

“Jasmine? No, that’s not it. Janey? I don’t think that’s it either. Wait! Jenny! Yeah, I know where she is, and her sister, oh, and Sarah’s sister.”

Mac cringed at the use of her given name. She didn’t mind when Harm called her that, but to have her name come from his mouth was beyond disgusting.

“Where are you?” Harm asked.

“Oh, that’s something I will only know. – The police are there. Aren’t they?”

Wondering what his reaction would be, Harm said, “No.”

“I know you better than that.”

Harm decided to change the subject, “How’d you pull it off, huh? How did you trick them into going with you? Did you pretend that you were me? Like in the courtroom before? Is that what you did?”

“Hahaha. I’ve been following you for a long time. - And you didn’t even know it.”

Harm and Mac were both in shock. They couldn’t believe that the produce stocker at the grocery store might have been Palmer.

Palmer continued, “Does that answer your question?”

“No!” Harm answered firmly. “How did you do it?”

“I’ll give you a clue, but if you can’t figure it out, maybe that Marine you married could. I was you.”

Knowing what he meant, Harm pinched the bridge of his nose, “How the hell did you get out of prison?”

“I have my ways.”

“What do I have to do to bring them home?”

“Wait for my next call – but before you go, I have a request.”

“A request?”

“You and Mac come in uniform.”

“What if Mac doesn’t have hers?”

“I know she does. I saw her attended a meeting with you two weeks ago … in her Marine uniform. Good day, Commander. (click)”

Harm stared at the phone before setting it down.

Now everyone’s attention was focused on Hunter.

“Okay,” Rick said into his cell-phone. “Sure, I’ll hold.” He turned the phone away from his mouth; “They’re going to see if you kept him on the phone long enough to pinpoint his location.”

Mac drew in a deep breath and closed her eyes; Harm pinched the bridge of his nose, again, while Bud and Harriet stared at each other, AJ looked at the people in the room and McCall paced up and down.

Hunter turned his attention back to the phone, “Yeah. Uh-uh - - Really? That’s great! Thanks.” He flipped the phone shut, “We got a location!”

“That’s great!” McCall exclaimed.

AJ released a breath he wasn’t even aware he was holding, Bud and Harriet smiled at each other and Harm and Mac kissed each other.

“Are we going to rethink the game plan?” Bud asked.

Harriet raised one eyebrow.

Bud continued, “Are you going to get the warrant or wait for him to call back?”

The happiness in Hunter’s voice faded away, “Oh,” he said with a sigh. “Well, Commander, what do you think?”

Harm sighed and sat in the chair next to Mac, “I think we should get the warrant and go ASAP.”

“Why?” Mac asked.

“Because if we wait longer, he’ll have time to move again.”

“I happen to agree,” Hunter stated.

“Yeah,” Mac said softly with a nod. “Yeah.”

“My partner and I will go see about that warrant and we’ll be back. It shouldn’t take long,” DeeDee said.

Mac pushed her chair back. “I’ll walk you out.”

- - -

“McCall,” Hunter started as they got in the car. “Do you think that this is a good idea?”

“Is what a good idea?” she asked.

“Having the Commander and his wife come.”

“Yeah. If you were in their place, would you do it?”

“I guess so.”

“So would I.”

“Usually, the parents don’t work the case too.”

“Hunter, he’s in the United States Navy and she’s former Marine. I think that we can make an exception.”

“I don’t think it is by-the-book.”

“Did we ever do anything by-the-book?”

“No,” Hunter answered with a laugh. “Not that I recall.”

- - -

Mac headed back towards the kitchen with a smile on her face.

Harriet stood up, “Mac, would you mind if I baked cookies for them?”

“Not at all,” she answered. “Jennifer and Elizabeth love Aunt Harriet’s chocolate-chip cookies.”

“And what about Chloe? Does she still like sugar cookies?”

Mac nodded, “I’ll get the ingredients out.”

“Oh, no. That’s okay. I can handle it.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes.”

“Okay.” Mac ran her fingers through her hair, “I think I’ll go get ready. Gosh, they’re coming home, Harm!”

“They sure are,” he answered with his drop-dead gorgeous flyboy grin.

Once he was sure she was upstairs, Harm’s smile turned into a frown. He plopped down on one of the chairs at the table and put his head in his hands. “Oh,” he mumbled.

“Harm, why don’t you get some sleep before the police come back with the warrant?” AJ suggested.

“I don’t think so,” Harm answered.

AJ sighed, “I can tell you as a friend and make it a suggestion or I can tell you as a Commanding Officer and make an order. Now which will it be, Commander?”

Deep down, he knew AJ was right. “A suggestion, sir.”

AJ nodded, “That’s what I was hoping for. Now, if you wouldn’t mind lending me your keys, Bud and I can pick up some breakfast.”

“Just a second,” Harm said before stepping up from the table. He walked over to the island took Mac’s keys out of her purse. “Here,” he said handing the keys over to AJ. “You can take Mac’s car. Palmer took mine.”

AJ shook his head, “We’re gonna nail him for this.”

“Bye,” Harriet called as they left. “Sir, where are the measuring cups at?”

“Oh, right here.” Harm opened the cupboard and handed some measuring cups to Harriet.

“Thanks.”

“Sure. Do you need anything else?”

“No. Go take that nap, sir.”

“I will, Harriet.”

Harm decided that it would be best if he gave Mac some space, so he headed to the basement.

- - -

“Mmm,” Mac moaned when she felt the warm water on her skin. “This feels sooo good.”

- - -

Harm, on the other hand, wasn’t having a pleasant time. He groaned as he turned over again; he was too tall to be sleeping on that couch.

After what seemed like twenty more tosses and turns, he couldn’t take it anymore and finally went upstairs.

- - -

“Oh,” Harriet exclaimed. She wasn’t expecting to see him so soon. “Did you have a good nap?”

“In one word?” he asked. Harriet nodded and he continued, “No.”

“I’m sorry, sir,” she responded sympathetically. “Is there anything I can do?”

Harm shook his head, “You, Bud, and AJ are doing enough … just by being here.”

Harriet smiled, ‘Understood, sir.”

“Please, Harriet, we aren’t at work. We’re both off-duty. You can call me “Harm.””

She winced, “Sorry,” she apologized. “It’s a habit.”

“No need to apologize.”

The timer on the oven beeped. “I think the cookies are done.” Harriet opened the oven and pulled out a tray of cookies, “Yep, they’re done. Would you like one?” she asked.

“No. Lizzy and Jennifer can have the first ones.”

“That’s nice of you. It’s very “fatherly”.”

“Fatherly?” he repeated.

“Yeah. You’re a very good father – always putting your children first - and Chloe for that matter.”

“If I’m such a good father, then why are they with Palmer right now?”

“That’s not your fault,” Harriet told him firmly. “It was all Palmer’s doing and you can’t change. But I can assure you that this was not your fault and it wasn’t Mac’s fault either. You can’t blame yourself for this. If you want to blame someone, the only person you can blame is Clark Palmer … Listen to me, parent – to parent, you and Mac are remarkable parents.”

“Thanks, Harriet. It was what I needed to hear.”

“Anytime, Harm.”

Harriet turned her attention back to the cookies and Harm made his way to the stairs, with Harriet’s words replaying in his mind.

- - -

When Harm reached his bedroom he opened the door slightly. He saw Mac adjusting the tie on her robe and then he watched as she ran her fingers over the buttons on her uniform. He opened the door wider and stood there for a moment before speaking up. “Any regrets?” he asked.

Mac quickly turned around, “What?”

“Do you have regrets about leaving before you reached your twenty- years?”

Mac looked at her uniform and then at Harm. She moved her uniform out of the way and took a seat at the end of the bed.

Mac sighed before patting the empty spot next to her.

Harm picked up the clue and sat next to her, “You’re starting to scare me, Mac,” he said. “Do you have regrets?”

“I wasn’t going to say anything, but you brought it up, so I’ll tell you …”

- - -

Hmm. I wonder what Mac will say.

As for Palmer – I didn’t make him as, in my opinion, sick and twisted, as he was on the show. Only the JAG writers are able to master that.

Oh, by the way, this story is almost completed. So wish me luck with the remaining chapters … if you want to, that is.

Profile E-mail