It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Onscreen chemistry - X Files Mentioned
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:16 pm 

Article about onscreen chemistry, X Files is mentioned on this page. The whole article is interesting to read from the point of view of all our favourite TV couples.

"Less is more," Butler says. "People are watching for that stuff. You don't have to write much."

"The X-Files was a classic for that," says Seven's John Holmes. "I remember years ago talking to someone in a bar and them saying, 'Did you see last night's episode? She touched his hand!' When you're talking about chemistry between couples, the secret generally is, keep 'em apart. What can you do with happy couples?"

Which is exactly what they did with Hunter and McCall...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Onscreen chemistry - X Files Mentioned
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:50 am 
Site Admin

Cool.

Yes, sometimes just a touch of a hand says a lot.
:)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:24 pm 

Oh I agree, as much as a part of me wanted them to be together as a couple the other part didn't want that to happen, it would have ruined everything.
Yes, the little things are SO much better....always!

And Mulder & Scully were the perfect example of that.
I adored all their kisses especially the ones on the forehead, LOL also their closeness, they were always standing close to each other, not to mention when Mulder had his hand on the small of her back, awwww
And what about all the times when they hold their hands, defended each other, protected each other, and LOVED each other like nobody else mattered....and they were not even a couple! Awwwww

They were closer than a couple, the only thing separating them from a romantic couple was s-e-x, LOL and you know what, I coudn't care less about the lack of s-e-x :D
One of my all time favorite MSR moments was the season 7 finale when Mulder is holding Scully on the bed at the motel.....the scene from my avatar.....awwww :D

For me Mulder & Scully were the perfect TV "couple".
I always compare them with my other ships :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:12 pm 
Site Admin

They are sooo much like Hunter and McCall when it comes to being affectionate.

Hunter and McCall are known for exchanging friendly kisses on the cheek, forehead and top of the head (him kissing hers..she can't reach his. LOL!), and Hunter very often places his hand on the small of McCall's back when leading her ahead of him, they've had fun playing a married couple, they crack jokes about each others dates, they cry in front of each other....there's just so much. They slept together, and unlike with Mulder and Scully, it wasn't a big "did they or didn't they" type of deal for long time.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:34 am 

Hey, look at me, dragging up a topic from four years ago! ;)

One bit about onscreen chemistry for Mulder/Scully and Hunter/McCall that I find amusing is that some of is derived from the height differential between the lead actors. Both Gillian Anderson and Stepfanie Kramer spent a lot of time standing on "the apple box" which lessens the height difference but also limits the shot. You end up having to force the actors to stand closer to one another than a man and a woman who were "just friends" would ordinarily do, and it creates a forced intimacy. Our brains look at the 6 inches of space between them and think there must be something going on!

Also related to chemistry, Stepfanie answered the question of whether the onscreen chemistry she shared with Fred Dryer came naturally or whether they had to work at it, and I believe she said "both." So now I am wondering: how do you work on creating chemistry with someone??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:44 pm 
Site Admin

---------
Pulling up topics that are four years old! Alllllrighty, theeeen! :lol:

Good point about how they had to stand closer together for the shot/frame.
How do you explain all the touchy-feely moments, though? :? Was Stepfanie allowing Fred to work on his end of the chemistry when he'd put his hand on the small of her back to lead her ahead of him? Was she doing the same when she'd caress his arm or pinch his cheek or chin? Whatever works, right? :lol:

Just like with McCall and Hunter, any "huggy-buggy" or "touchy-feely" moment betweent Mulder and Scully seems so real, that I know it's true chemistry between Gillian and David. :)

This topic reminds me of the great chemistry between Jane Seymour and Joe Lando (Mike and Sully) of "Dr. Quinn: Medicine Woman". The actors dated in real-life before and during the first season, and I read a comment from a fan on Youtube who said Joe was always "copping a feel". I started paying attention and noticed that his hand does seem to end up on her breast(s) a lot, even when I don't think the scene calls for it.
:lol:

Profile E-mail