It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: My First Time Watching the Original 1978 "Halloween"
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:00 pm 

Yeah, I'll probably wait till the new "Carrie" comes out on video, as I don't know if it'll be worth paying to see in the theater...but who knows? Yeah, the sex will probably be over-done and that's what they'll focus on to try and appeal to the teen audience. :roll:

Yes, Rob Zombie should be banned from all things Halloween, for sure! ;) If they ever end up making that new "Halloween III" that I read about I truly hope they keep Zombie out as it appeared was the case. But, like I said before, even with Carpenter writing it if they follow Zombie's two previous movies then it could still end up being bloody, torturous, garbage. :roll: That will really tick me off, if that happens. :x I hope they write something a little more in-depth and better--like the original "Halloween" movies.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:48 pm 
Site Admin

I just can't see Carpenter's and Zombie's writing mingling to make one movie...a good movie. :roll:

I don't know much about Zombie and don't care to. When I saw his version of "Halloween" (even after hearing of him before), I knew even more that I didn't want to learn more about him.

It just needs to be Carpenter's "Halloween III" and that's all. I don't know how they'd do it, but I'd like for them to be able to leave out anything of Zombie's remake.
Shoot, even if they have to grab a moment from "Halloween III: Season of the Witch" and push ahead with that to make a good Carpenter film, then I say "go for it!". :lol:
Maybe SOTW was all a bad dream for Michael Myers. :lol:

I can still hear my cousin complaining about the money she and her friends wasted on tickets to see SOTW. LOL!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:10 am 

LOL! I never saw "Season of the Witch" in theaters...thank God! I saw it on TV once and then again in college. It was so stupid each time that I've never watched it again on TV, nor do I own a VHS/DVD copy...and don't ever intend to. ;)

However, I would take it over Rob Zombie's sick garbage! :x I too went and saw his first remake of "Halloween"...and it was so sick that I wished I had walked out partway through. I've never seen his version of "Halloween II"...and don't ever intend to. :roll:

If a new "Halloween III" is eventually made...I really hope Carpenter writes it, but Zombie has nothing to do with it! But, who knows...as of now there's no cast, plot, or release date listed. I think it's been put on hold for now.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:45 pm 
Site Admin

I'm glad I didn't waste my money, too.

I recorded it from TV to DVD a year or so ago. I wanted to proof of what a strange piece of work it is and has nothing to do with the true "Halloween" movies. I really want to freak them out. :lol:

I can take SOTW over Rob Zombie's stupid gore-fest, too. His version is just dark...gory...nasty...and....WRONG. Ugh! It's not even creepy like the original, you know? The only creepy thing(s) would be the masks that Michael wears, but in the original, the full movie and theme are what's creepy, but in a good way, if that makes sense. I think you get what I'm trying to say. :lol:

Maybe we can take it as being a good sign that the new "Halloween III" is on hold. I hope they're taking it seriously and will leave Zombie out in the cold.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:36 am 

Exactly! The original "Halloween" was truly scary...mostly because it could actually happen (other than the part where Michael won't die), the beautiful music score & lighting techniques, and I'll even say the beautiful "simplicity" of it! It didn't require tons of special effects, big-name actors (at the time), studio backing, nor was it set in some famous or tropical/exotic location. It was just like every other small mid-west town, with normal people in everyday situations--that end up being terrified by a psychotic killer that used to live there.

When my mom was growing up, there was a bizarre guy in my mom's hometown that ended up going to prison for robbing people, and eventually killing some, when they would "park" (if you know what I mean) in secluded places. After a few years a parole board let the psycho out. What did he do? He returned to his/my mom's hometown and ended up killing a couple more people. :roll: He went back to prison and most of the people on that parole board were fired. My point to this story is...it just reminds me of "Halloween". It could happen! :?

Rob Zombie's "Halloween" is NOT scary or realistic...it's just sick! :twisted:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:21 am 
Site Admin

Yep, I know what you mean by "park".
Sorry to hear about what happened to those people in your mom's hometown.

Yes, something like what went on in "Halloween" really could happen. With all the serial killers that have existed over the years.....Michael was like that, except for not being able to die, like you said.
I agree that the simplicity of it is what made it. These days, movies are just saturated with too much stuff that leaves little room for an actual storyline that's good.

When I was little, I was quite freaked out by the movie previews for "The Town that Dreaded Sundown". It was based on a true story, and having to see that, plus previews of other horror movies, including "Halloween" (though a couple of years apart), was not good for me.

I think that knowing that such horrible things in movies were happening in real-life was just a bit much. I had a lot of bad dreams and nightmares back then, and I always worried when my mom would go out at night. I didn't care if she would tell me that she could take care of herself, or that my stepdad, who was a fairly large/tall man would take care of her. When you're a kid and worried, there's not much to console you. :|
Thank God, nothing happened.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:11 pm 

---------
Yeah, my mom actually sat next to that guy in junior high art class! :o She said he would draw these pictures of mutilated bodies and violence. He freaked her out so bad that she finally asked the art teacher to have her moved to a different part of the room...which the art teacher did.

Later, in high school, that guy ended up attacking one of my mom's friends and her boyfriend when they "parked". The psycho (who's name was Yorkie :roll: ) pulled a gun on them and shot the boyfriend. He then took my mom's friend and yanked her out of the car by her hair--because she had real long, almost waist-length hair, and drug her for at least 2 miles that way.

Yorkie then "attacked" and beat her up--leaving her for dead in an abandoned auto salvage yard. She survived though. The boyfriend did too--walking a mile to town with a bullet in him, to get help. Over 35 years later, at one of my mom's class reunions, she saw her friend--who had since divorced her husband and got back together with that boyfriend all this had happened with! :shock: My mom said it was weird and bizarre.

Anyway, I've had several other people talk about how horrifying "The Town That Dreaded Sundown" was! It's ironic you mentioned that one too. I've never seen it...but I've read the jist of it on Wikipedia, and it doesn't sound like it turns out too good. :| I don't think they ever caught the psychos from that massacure did they? I don't think I want to see that one. It was based on a true story, as you said, and that makes it even worse. ;)

The more realistic, and identifyable, a movie is...the scarier it is! It hits "home" because we can place ourselves in that situation and know how we'd feel or act if it happened. Too many movies, like you stated, have way too much "garbage" with special effects that are unrealistic, and too much blood/carnage. :roll: I rather like Hitchcock and Carpenter's idea (at least with the first "Halloween")--that it's scarier using your own imagination...about what might be lurking in the dark, rather than showing some "gooey" monster and you already know. ;)

Profile E-mail