It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My First Time Watching the Original 1978 "Halloween"
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:31 am 

Well...it's almost that time of year again...for all you ghosts, goblins, and ghouls. Halloween! :lol:

I don't particularly care for blood-n-guts, torture, or nothing but graphic perverted teen sex...but I do love a good scary movie. In my opinion one of the best is (appropriately titled) John Carpenter's 1978 "Halloween"...with Jamie Lee Curtis and Donald Pleasence.

Although it does refer to teen sex and there's a couple "sort-of" sex scenes...there really is no graphic nudity nor blood-n-guts splattering everywhere. The movie purposely used the "Hitchcockian" style of scare...focusing on music, lighting, and making you think of what could be lurking in the dark, or what probably happened, rather than directly showing you what did.

Anyway...I thought I'd share, for those who find it interesting, about what happened to me the first time I watched "Halloween". It might be long but I'll try and make it as short as possible. For "spook" fans enjoy...because this happened! No movie magic. ;)

When I was in my later years of high school we lived in the country in an old 2-story limestone rock house built in 1877. It was in good shape and had been kept up though. However, there was no central air or heat, but there was a window unit AC and a propane stove in the living room--as well as the kitchen. The upstairs however, was cold in the winter and hot in the summer. The original front door of this house was still there, but it was not the main entrance to the house anymore...in fact there no longer was a sidewalk going up to it. It just opened to the front yard and the grass. The main entrance and driveway were to the side of the house. The house faced North...and sometimes in the summer at night we'd open this old front door to just the screen door, to let some cool air come in. This would help with not running the window unit AC so much and "jacking" up the bill. Yes...this all ties in. ;)

The summer right after I graduated my parents and little brother decided to go out of town for a day and night. I opted not to go...as I sometimes like my "me-time" and being in the country was even better. The closest neighbor was about a mile down the road. This was about mid-July of that year. I also had gotten my own VCR for my graduation present and was overjoyed to be able to watch movies in my own room for once. :lol: Now, I've always loved spooky-scary movies and I wanted to rent a good scary (rather than gory) movie. The lady at our town movie rental place suggested the original 1978 "Halloween". I'd heard of it but had never seen it yet. I rented it.

Fast-forward to about 10:00 that night. It's in the middle of no-where, mid-July, very hot, no wind or rain--so it's so quiet it's almost deafening, that front door is open and just the screen door is there...to let some cool air from the North flow in. Upstairs I have my windows open and a fan on me as I'm watching "Halloween" for the first time on my new VCR. Around the time Michael Myers is chasing poor Laurie Strode from the Wallace house back across the street to the Doyle home...I all of a sudden realize I hear this strange ripping sound! :shock:

I stop the movie and listen. I can really hear it now...it was coming from downstairs! Now, about a month earlier we had just gotten a new little dog and my first thought was I wonder if she was ripping up the living room couch or something. I got up and started for the top of the stairs. As I neared the top I realized the noise sounded more like "metalic" ripping, than fabric. I'm like what the heck?? Now, as you go down the stairs, about half way down that front door comes into view. I started down...and as that front door came into view I saw something I will never forget till i die....the ripping noise was someone ripping that screen door to shreds!! :o

It looked like someone's arm coming in and out ripping the screen part of the door out of the frame...once they did that they could just step into the house! My literal first thought was "No...you're not seeing that! It's just your imagination!" But, I knew it was happening! I thought my shotgun was back upstairs in my closet...but I'd used all my shells up last Pheasant hunting season. My dad's was in he and my mom's closet...but their room was on the first floor...so I would have to cross in front of this door--and whoever was trying to get in! What also terrified me was that this person had to know I was home! The lights were on, the upstairs windows were open so they could probably hear my TV, my car was in the drive--yet none of this seemed to prevent this person from breaking in.

I finally decided I had to get to some kind of weapon downstairs...and would have to cross in front of this door once I got to the bottom of the stairs--which was where this door was. I jumped the rest of the way, and once I hit the bottom started sprinting towards the kitchen. The second I was in front of the door...the ripping stopped and everything was "deathly" quiet. Ya know how in the movies when actors stop and go back and check and you're screaming "No...moron, don't do that!" Well...the second the noise stopped I stopped and turned back around to look. :oops: I didn't see anything but the black of night outside the door. I thought...maybe they took off for the side of the house (where the main entrance and driveway was) when they saw me run towards that way. I thought if I could actually get out this front "ripped up" door and hit the road right outside...I could run down the highway to the neighbor's and call police.

I decided to do it! I edged up to the ripped up sceen and looked out...I saw nothing nor heard nothing. I got ready to jump through the ripped up screen when all of a sudden our old hunting "outside" dog pops up out of the dark. I am a Christian and I typically don't like cussing...but I'm not perfect...and folks let me tell you after that the nicest word I screamed was probably the F-bomb! We had gotten this old dog the past January from a guy who no longer wanted him. He was older but still a good hunting dog. However, we had yet to have him during a lightning or thunderstorm.

Come to find out the poor dog was terrified of lightning...and that night in the North there had been what we used to call "heat-lighting"...not really from a thunderstorm but lightning from I guess the temps in the sky?? Anyway, the dog knew I was in the house and was trying to get in to be with me because he was scared of the lightning. So, the arm/hand I saw ripping the screen off was really Ruff's head/snout. :lol: I wanted to shoot the dog right freakin there...but instead I yanked him down to the barn and chained him up for the night.

Then I went back up to the house sat down on the porch of the side-main entrance and started shaking uncontrollably. At that time (being young and stupid...and I've since quit years ago!) I was smoking when I could get a hold of cigarettes...thinking it was cool and "adult". I smoked one after the other while trying to comprehend what had just happened. :lol: After I quite shaking so bad...then I got angry. I thought...I paid to rent that dang movie...I'm gonna finish it! I forced myself back up to my room (with my shotgun out by my side and I actually did find a couple shells left over ;) ) and I finished "Halloween".

At the time it was very scary and I never want to experience something like that again. But, over time I grew to appreciate the experience--with being observant of what's going on around you before it's too late. This also, for whatever twisted reason "cemented" "Halloween" as my all-time favorite scary movie and I've watched it every year around Halloween since. To me it will always be the alpha & omega of Boogeyman flicks! ;)

So...there's my own little backstory for all you spook-freaks. ;) Hope I didn't scare you too bad. :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: My First Time Watching the Original 1978 "Halloween"
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:57 pm 
Site Admin

That was hilarious! :lol: :lol:

The way you told it, held my interest through the end. :)
Though it wasn't funny for you at the time, it's good that you can think of it as being somewhat funny, now.

I'm glad it was only the dog and not someone who could have harmed you. :)

I imagine that when you're watching "Halloween" these days, you think of that moment. Hehe. :)

I agree with you about the Rob Zombie "Halloween" (from your post under "Hunter"). I forced myself to watch it last year, and I didn't like it at all. First off, it was hard to look at the creepy masks that Michael wore. I totally prefer the original mask, and the original story/film. What a mess the remake was, IMO. Once again, proof that some people feel that the more gore, the better. Ugh! :roll:

One of my cousins and his fiancee love the "SAW" movies, and when I first saw part of one them at their house and figured out what the mechanism on the guy's face was about to do, I was out before it happened. It was bad enough that my cousin told me how one guy was planning to escape while he had a shackle and chain around his ankle. Um....I'll pass.

I always watch the "Halloween" movies as they air during October, too. Good stuff....good stuff.

I'll have to share my scary moment during the first time I saw "The Ring", when I get a chance. It's not as interesting as your "Halloween" moment, but it's a little funny.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:41 pm 

Oh yeah, everytime I watch "Halloween" I think of that moment...with a little more humor than when it originally happened. ;)

Yeah, Rob Zombie only focused on graphic nudity, horrific gore, and torture. That's not scary...just sick! :roll: I've never watched any of the "Saw" movies either...because I know they involve a lot of self mutilation and torture. Yuck! :|

The original "Halloween" movies are pretty good though. The first one is considered a classic now, but I'll admit that I thought for a sequel "Halloween II" was pretty good! It had more gore than the first one, so that wasn't necessarily a plus, but the plot twists and other scares were still really cool! It also had the same characters return (those who lived) and continued supposedly on the same night. "Halloween III" doesn't even count in my opinion. It was pathetic and goofy, and had nothing to do with Michael Myers and/or Laurie Strode.

"4" and "5" were okay (4 being the better of the two--as they were done back to back and tied in with each other). Laurie Strode (Jamie Lee Curtis) was gone but the rest of the plot/characters and how they explained Laurie's absense worked. Of course Michael Myers and Dr. Loomis (Donald Pleasence) were back and that made them right there! "6" ("Curse of Michael Myers") was more bizarre and had a lot of controversay surrounding it--with 2 different versions being filmed. The one shown in theaters was not the original version. The original was never released to theaters...but several years ago it started popping up in bootleg sets all over the internet. I have both.

"H20" was awesome...and was a true tribute to the first two films! Jamie Lee was back and the plot/scares were effective again. Not a very long movie, but it got the job done for a 20 year anniversary of the original "Halloween". "Ressurection" was not that good in my opinion. They did rebuild the original Myers house on a sound stage...so that brought some original aspects back to the series (as other weird houses were used as the Myers house after the 2nd film). But, other than that I have the movie and will watch it sometimes, but it's one of my least favorites of the "Halloween" series.

"Ressurection" was the last of the real "Halloweens"...after that Rob Zombie took over with his garbage and basically destroyed the "Halloween" movie franchise! :x Someone needs to buy the rights from Zombie, completely ignore his "junk" and return us to the original "Halloween" plotline....and do a "Halloween 9". :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:10 pm 
Site Admin

I remember when "Halloween 3: Season of the Witch" came out, and one of my cousins went to see it. She told me it was stupid and had nothing to do with Michael Myers. She hated it. It was a few years later that I saw it and understood what she meant. I also understood why so many people were angry. It was soooo corny! Robots instead of Michael? Come on! :x

I'll bet they spent more than twice or three times what they spent on "Halloween", but it looked like they spent 1/4 of the amount, if that much with those special effects. There were moments when it was a bit gross, but that didn't help it stand up to "Halloween". What a waste! I watched it last year because of the marathon. They owe us all a major apology for that one. Ugh!

And now...the theme song! "Five more days til Halloween....silver shamrock." :roll: :lol:

I've read a couple of scenarios about who the father of Jamie's baby was supposed to be. Weird. I'm still confused, and it may be because I've let two or more of the ideas get tangled up.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:17 pm 

LOL! :lol: Yeah, the silver shamrock song was really stupid...but sadly gets stuck in your head when watching the movie. :| I've only seen "Season of the Witch" maybe twice...it's so pathetic and stupid that I wouldn't even enjoy it if it had been released by itself instead of supposedly part of the "Halloween" series. :roll:

As for Jamie's baby, if you're referring to the character of Jamie Lloyd, (which from "H-5" to "Curse of Michael Myers" ("H-6") she would have been like 15--so pretty young to have a baby but not impossible) I think the "father" was either supposed to be one of the members of that evil cult that thought they could control Michael...or I've always thought it was supposed to maybe be Michael himself! :o

Shout recently released new DVD and Blu-Ray special editions of "Halloween II", "Halloween III: Season of the Witch", and another early 80's Jamie Lee scream-flick--"Terror Train". I've already gotten the special edition 2-disc DVD of "Halloween II"--it is loaded with all new special features, documentaries, interviews, alternate ending, and more! I can't wait to watch it! :) It's way more awesome than the old DVD from like 8-10 years ago.

Obviously I will NOT be getting the "Season of the Witch" DVD--definitely not worth the 20-some dollars I paid for "H-II". ;) I have an older DVD of "Terror Train" and it's a pretty good fright-flick. Haven't seen the special edition DVD of it yet, and don't know if I'll end up gettin it or not...maybe eventually I will.

Most of the time with movies, not only are sequels not as good as the originals...many times they are really stupid or bad. However, in my opinion two fright/thriller films that have superb sequels are 1960's "Psycho" (with "Psycho II" in 1983) and 1978's "Halloween" (with "Halloween II in 1981)! This is my opinion, but both of these sequels are almost as captivating and interesting to watch as the originals, and are very well written with plot twists. Also, most of the original characters returned (that lived from the originals ;) ) for these two sequels, which definitely helped. There are also ties between the two franchises. :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:24 am 
Site Admin

Yeah, I've heard/read that the father of Jamie Lloyd's baby may be Michael....her uncle, too. That storyline didn't set well with a lot of people, so I've heard/read.
I can understand why.

Yes, in part 5, she was supposedly kidnapped from the police station by The Man in Black....leader or associate of the Druid cult. One of those men or Michael was supposed to the father. I also read that it was through in-vitro, but still....who was the actual father?

I'd like to see the alternate ending of how Jamie was killed. I read about it and spoiled it for myself, but still want to see it. Sometimes I like spoilers, but I do like a warning, sometimes. :lol: I was hoping they'd show it during some of the specials featuring the movie, but I haven't seen it. If they did, I missed it.

Yes, Psycho is a good one that gives me the creeps. :?

Have you ever watched the TV movie "IT", by Stephen King? They're making a big screen version. When they revealed what "it" really was, it was surprising and a bit of a let down. I still like the movie, though. Just to add....I just happen to hate clowns, even before this movie! :nu:
:lol:

My ex-boyfriend was into the gory stuff. Sometimes, he'd watch one of those movies while eating a meal. Disgusting!

(shake)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:39 pm 

Yeah, with Michael being Jamie Lloyd's uncle...and he wasn't exactly human anymore so I doubt he could...get "aroused" anymore :lol:, I bet the father of Jamie's baby was another one of the evil Druid cult members--and the baby was supposed to carry on the "thorn" curse, and eventually become the next "Michael Myers". "Halloween 5" was pretty stupid and is actually my least favorite of the series...with "Resurrection" being my 2nd least fav.

ALL versions of "Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers" (which was originally titled "Halloween 666") are available on a bootleg (but studio quality) DVD set that can be found a lot of places online. I got mine from ioffer.com. The original version of the movie (which includes the alternate or original death of Jamie) is a lot different, and much better, than what eventually was released to the theaters.

I LOVE Stephen King's "IT"! I have a 1st edition hardback of the novel too...and even though it's one of the longest novels I've ever read, I was never bored reading it. Clowns are definitely freaky and bone-chilling...not my favorite thing. :shock: The 1990 TV mini-series was very well done...for the time and the special effects that were available for TV back then. But, the ending was kind of "goofy" compared to the rest of the movie.

I did not know they're making a theater version...that's cool! 8-) I hope they make it scary and not focus only on gore. :) I also LOVE cars...so my favorite Stephen King novel, and movie of the novel, is "Christine". :lol: Probably not as scary as "It"...but still eerie and suspenseful!

I also love "period" scary movies, and ones that take place in the past. Therefore, Tim Burton's 1999 blockbuster "Sleepy Hollow" is also one of my all-time favorite scary/horror films! :clap2: 1992's "Bram Stoker's: Dracula" is also one of my favorites.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:51 am 
Site Admin

Aww, you know that the Druids had their own version of Vi-agra for monsters. :lol: (I had to split the word as it's banned from the forum due to spam)

When I first saw Tommy Doyle as an adult, I thought he was a bit creepy and figured he'd be a killer. :|

One day, I may buy the "Halloween" collection, but for now, I'll just watch it on TV or on the discs I recorded from TV. There are so very many movies, shows and concerts that I would love to have in a DVD collection. :)

"IT" is a great movie, even with the corny or goofy ending. LOL! I do hope that the movie version is as good or better, and w/o excessive gore. Just give us something to help our imaginations along and it's all good.

As for "Christine", the movie is scary, but I found the book to be scarier. I guess because it went into a fair amount of detail with the gore and I could imagine what it may have looked like. Ewww. LOL! "Christine" is one of my favorites.

I tried to watch "Sleepy Hollow" but found too many gross scenes and stopped. I can't do Bram's "Dracula", either. I tried....got grossed out...had to stop. LOL!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:04 am 

LOL! :lol: Yeah, "Sleepy Hollow" and "Bram Stoker's: Dracula" do contain some pretty gorey scenes. :o But, they don't totally focus on them, and the plot and characters really "shine" through. Both were superbly written and filmed. "Sleepy Hollow" doesn't bother me as much...but there are a few scenes in "Dracula" that even I turn away real quick. ;)

Yeah, I also have a 1st edition hardback of "Christine" and I love to read it! The novel is definitely better and more terrifying than the movie (same thing with "IT"), but for the time and what special effects were available for lower budget movies back then I thought John Carpenter did an awesome job with the film! Getting a hold of that many 1958 Plymouth Furys, Savoys, and Belvederes (which were all made to look like Furys) must have been interesting! ;) They should do a new theater version for "Christine"...with all the computer technology nowdays, the could do "wonders" for that story/car! :)

As for Michael Myers' Vi-agra...actually the evil Druid dudes probably had a cursed version of Ci-alis for monsters--as I'm sure 'ol Mikey had a serious case of E.D. going on. :P Instead of being in those bathtubs (like in the commercials)...Michael and his victims would be in coffins--on a beach (with some dead fish floating nearby), at a cabin/resort (an abandoned one with blood on the door), on a deck in the backyard (of the old Myers' house of course), etc... :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:37 am 
Site Admin

I tried to watch "Dracula" when it first aired on TV as I'd heard of the great reviews, but as I said, it was too much. I can only imagine how much worse it was than "Sleepy Hollow", considering it's about vampires.

Yes, I imagine that with today's technology, "Christine" could really be remade into something really cool. I hope they wouldn't overdo it and mess it up, though. I wonder who would play Arnie?

Michael, the Druids and Ci-alis.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:12 am 

Yeah, "Dracula" probably had more gore than "Sleepy Hollow". But it had a perfect cast, was superbly written, and followed Stoker's original classic 1897 novel almost exactly. Sleepy Hollow too was expertly written and cast.

As for casting Arnie or the other characters from "Christine" if a new version was done...I think it might be interesting if they again went with new more "unknowns" like they did with Carpenter's original. But, that's just me. :) The main character of course is Christine herself. ;)

I wish they'd bring "Halloween" back to the original saga, and get it away from Rob Zombie. :| You never really saw Laurie Strode actually die at the beginning of "Ressurection"...only her slowly falling into some evergreen trees after Michael stabbed her from the roof of the institution. They could bring Jamie Lee back...and she didn't really die but the trees helped "cushion" her fall and she was found and saved by other institution staff.

Once again Michael finds out and stalks her...this time she meets up with Tommy Doyle and Kara Strode--who lived from "Halloween 6". Along the way Michael of course kills anyone and everyone trying to get to his true, long-desired victims...or is it really Michael?

A "wild" and interesting twist for a new "original" "Halloween" would be if Lindsay Wallace, all grown up, went insane because of what happened to her and Tommy when she was little (original movie)--and she dressed up like Michael & went on a killing spree, trying to get to Tommy and Laurie, as she blamed them for not protecting her better the Halloween night when he came after her, Tommy, and Laurie--blamed them for her insanity. Of course at the very end Michael really does show up for real and takes out Lindsay...once again Laurie, Tommy, and Kara are on the run, giving way for the next "Halloween".

Of course this plot might not go over well with fans as supposedly it wouldn't really be Michael doing most of the killing (until the end)...as it was a psycho Lindsay Wallace. :lol: But, I've always thought it would be an interesting plot twist--a shocker that most would not see coming. :)

I doubt if any of this would ever happen though...I don't think Zombie is interested in giving up his rights to the "Halloween" franchise. :( But, at least he hasn't put out another one of his "sick" and garbage "Halloween" movies for a while. :| Maybe he'll get tired of it and eventually let it go and sell the rights to someone else.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:43 am 
Site Admin

The idea of an unknown to play Arnie isn't a bad idea. It would probably be a great boost for the actor's career, and also keep down certain expectations from a seasoned actor.

One of the scariest scenes for me in "Christine" (the movie) is when the car is on fire and chasing the guy down the dark road. Chills. :?

I'd like to see Jamie Lee Curtis come back for more "Halloween" movies, too, but I read an article about her a few days ago and I think she said she'll be giving up on acting in a few short years. :|
The article featured Jamie, Betty White and at least one other actress who was younger than Jamie. It was like a generation "gap" of actresses and what they had in common. Jamie talked about how well Betty is aging, but she mentioned how she herself, could do better and that knowing Hollywood, they want younger people. [sigh] It may be true, but it's not fair and it's sad. Considering that her age and the age of Laurie should work out evenly, I don't see why she couldn't do another "Halloween" movie. No other actress need apply for that role!!!

I actually like the idea of Lindsay losing it, blaming Laurie and going on a killing spree. :) She and Michael could both be killing, and no one would know how he ended up killing in two different places at once. :?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:44 am 

That's cool...Lindsay and Michael both doing killing but not realizing it till the end. 8-) Come to find out...Lindsay had been cursed with the "Thorn" too by the evil Mrs. Blankenship--from "H-6", who'd babysat her a couple times (besides Annie)...just like she'd babysat Michael and honed in on his evil abilities. ;)

I think casting a new, up-n-coming, unknown for the part of Leigh Cabot, as well as Arnie, for "Christine" would be a good idea too. I LOVE the scene where Christine is on fire and is chasing Buddy down the highway! They purposely did that scene as if she was the car from Hell--come to "collect" Buddy's soul. Freaky!! :o I love older cars from the 50's and 60's...as well as the music from those decades. So, this horror/thriller is a true "fav" of mine. ;) However, the new version could maybe lose some of the constant F-bombs (especially where they don't even make sense) just to gain a hard-R rating for teens and 20 year old viewers. :lol:

I'd heard that Jamie Lee Curtis was not going to act anymore a couple years ago...just do her "****" yogurt commercials. :P But, recently she's been in some episodes of "NCIS". So, I think she does a part here and there. But, maybe she wants to quit altogether?? :| I hope not! :shock:

She truly could do another "Halloween", if the franchise was brought back to the original storyline and series. But, even if the original series was brought back, I don't know if Jamie would do one. I think she's done with 'Laurie Strode' and considers her dead from the beginning of "Resurrection". :roll:

Speaking of "Halloween" though, when I went back to college to finally finish my degree I did a senior project on why people like to be scared and watch horror movies. Part of it included aspects from "Halloween" and the project was even titled "What's the Boogeyman?"--Jamie Lee's line to Dr. Loomis at the end. I also concluded my presentation by showing that actual scene. It was fun and kind of a cool idea...but I didn't have a lot of time to really gather a lot of in-depth ideas or data. :| I'd love to go back someday (maybe a masters in something) and do a much more in-depth study of certain kinds of "fear" and why people like feeling that. ;)

Also, speaking of another John Carpenter horror film...have you ever seen "The Fog?" It's not as scary as "Halloween", or as fast-paced as "Christine"...but it's eerie and freaky enough. The music and the fog-dudes also really helped "make" this movie. I also love it that Jamie Lee Curtis and her mother Janet Leigh are in it. The actress who played 'Annie' in "Halloween" is also in it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:51 pm 
Site Admin

I'll reply to the rest of the message a bit later, but I wanted to mention that "The Fog" will be on Encore at 1:20pm and 11:05pm, today.

At 8:50pm, Bram Stoker's "Dracula" airs on the same channel.

I won't be watching. :lol:

To answer your question, I saw some of "The Fog" a few years ago, but only remember that I was annoyed by all the fog and not knowing what was coming for the longest time.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:52 am 

I know my posts are sometimes long, :lol: --sorry! :oops: Respond to the rest of my previous post whenever you want...or not. ;)

Yeah, you have to be in the right "mood", so-to-speak to watch and enjoy "The Fog". ;) It's not as fast-paced as most other scary movies...more just tried to keep you on the edge, knowing something or someone evil was in the fog and would be killing the townspeople. :lol:

It's another low-budget early 80's scare-flick and sometimes if I haven't watched it in a long time I like to view it. The 2005 re-make was pretty good too! But, I didn't totally care for the ending to it. :|

I haven't watched "Bram Stoker's: Dracula" this year yet...watching some others I haven't seen in a few years instead. What about "Nightmare On Elm Street"? That one was pretty graphic too...but it didn't totally focus on that, I thought it was pretty terrifying as well! :o That's the original one I'm referring to...the other "Nightmare" sequels were mostly ridiculous and had goofy humor thrown in, with Freddy's corny one-liners and actions. :|

But, as always I will be watching the original "Halloween" series in the next couple weeks or so...however, this year I think I'll not watch "Resurrection". ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:46 am 
Site Admin

HunterMan wrote:
That's cool...Lindsay and Michael both doing killing but not realizing it till the end. 8-) Come to find out...Lindsay had been cursed with the "Thorn" too by the evil Mrs. Blankenship--from "H-6", who'd babysat her a couple times (besides Annie)...just like she'd babysat Michael and honed in on his evil abilities. ;)

I think casting a new, up-n-coming, unknown for the part of Leigh Cabot, as well as Arnie, for "Christine" would be a good idea too. I LOVE the scene where Christine is on fire and is chasing Buddy down the highway! They purposely did that scene as if she was the car from Hell--come to "collect" Buddy's soul. Freaky!! :o I love older cars from the 50's and 60's...as well as the music from those decades. So, this horror/thriller is a true "fav" of mine. ;) However, the new version could maybe lose some of the constant F-bombs (especially where they don't even make sense) just to gain a hard-R rating for teens and 20 year old viewers. :lol:

I'd heard that Jamie Lee Curtis was not going to act anymore a couple years ago...just do her "****" yogurt commercials. :P But, recently she's been in some episodes of "NCIS". So, I think she does a part here and there. But, maybe she wants to quit altogether?? :| I hope not! :shock:

She truly could do another "Halloween", if the franchise was brought back to the original storyline and series. But, even if the original series was brought back, I don't know if Jamie would do one. I think she's done with 'Laurie Strode' and considers her dead from the beginning of "Resurrection". :roll:

Speaking of "Halloween" though, when I went back to college to finally finish my degree I did a senior project on why people like to be scared and watch horror movies. Part of it included aspects from "Halloween" and the project was even titled "What's the Boogeyman?"--Jamie Lee's line to Dr. Loomis at the end. I also concluded my presentation by showing that actual scene. It was fun and kind of a cool idea...but I didn't have a lot of time to really gather a lot of in-depth ideas or data. :| I'd love to go back someday (maybe a masters in something) and do a much more in-depth study of certain kinds of "fear" and why people like feeling that. ;)

Also, speaking of another John Carpenter horror film...have you ever seen "The Fog?" It's not as scary as "Halloween", or as fast-paced as "Christine"...but it's eerie and freaky enough. The music and the fog-dudes also really helped "make" this movie. I also love it that Jamie Lee Curtis and her mother Janet Leigh are in it. The actress who played 'Annie' in "Halloween" is also in it.

Lindsay and Michael fight to the death. Oh, wait. "He'll never die....never diiiiie!" :lol:

Fairly unknown actors for the roles in "Christine" may be good.....give some new faces some time to be seen.

I don't know if Jamie Lee has truly made up her mind, one way or the other, but she's a good actress and should consider working more.
I was watching "Halloween Resurrection" last night, and thought of something I don't think I'd thought of before. I figured that since Laurie was on suicide watch and had been seen on the roof a few times, they'd most likely say that she jumped to her death, but we know that she didn't. I was thinking that they'd have to see the stab wound in her back, and I wanted to know what they thought of that. I know she hit that ground pretty hard (heard the thud), plus she had that stab wound, but though she may not be evil like her brother, she could be strong enough and determined enough to survive. I need this in order to believe that she could be in another "Halloween" movie. :lol: Jamie's probably done with them, but I'm still hopeful. She may even make a cameo in one like her mom did. :)

Years ago, my grandmother said she didn't understand why people like to watch scary movies, go into Halloween theme "haunted" houses, etc., as she didn't get why people wanted to be scared. I told her that it's good for us to have our emotions put to work. When she was little, they had some relatives and neighbors who played some horrible and very, very scary Halloween and April Fools jokes, plus they often told them ghost stories. I think she was pretty much scarred from that....she and her sisters. I heard some of the tales and they were pretty bad, especially if you imagine the place where they lived, the fact that the Klan was around the area, and that she and her family/neighbors were of a minority race. They grew up in the country, there were no street lights, (some people didn't have electricity) there were several wooded areas, the houses were spaced a good distance apart, etc. You said you lived in the country for a while, so thought probably not as bad as how they had it, you get the idea. She had also mentioned that the people playing the jokes would wear the most horrible-looking masks that were supposed to be beings from the stories they told. Sometimes it wouldn't be people they knew, and they'd be chased by them down the road. Geeeez. I'm so glad I didn't have to go through anything like that. I've had scary moments as a kid when someone would try to sneak up and scare me, I'd know how it was and may be able to get them back. That's nothing like what they went throught.
There's a difference from us watching horror movies for a thrill, vs having someone cause us terror on purpose and personally. I guess that's why we can deal much better in watching such movies, you know?

Good luck with getting back into your college project, again. You might get to it sooner than you thought. :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:47 pm 

That's terrible what your grandma had to go through! :| That's not the same thing of going to a movie for the thrill of the scare...that's real-life. Don't know when I'll get back to my college project...but sometime. ;)

They seem to be remaking everything under the sun...so a "Christine" remake is not totally unrealistic. If they did it right and really focused on it, I think it could be awesome! :)

As for Laurie Strode (Jamie Lee) in "Resurrection"...I don't remember a thud. You just saw Michael stab her while on the roof, then you saw her (still alive) slowly falling into the thick evergreen trees outside the institution. You never saw her actually die. The trees could have easily "broken" or slowed her fall, and the stab wound could have easily not been fatal. So, if the "Halloween" franchise ever returns to the original series, they could totally have Laurie Strode return again. ;)

I have started going through the "Halloween" series again. Right now I'm going through my new special edition "Halloween II" 2-disc DVD set. With all new interviews, documentaries, and remastered editions of both the theatrical and TV versions--the TV version containing scenes deleted from the original theatrical version...it's really awesome!! :D "Halloween II" is a superb scary movie and is one of the best sequels to one of the most popular scary movies ever...and it's almost as good as the first "Halloween"! More of the night He came home! :o :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:38 am 
Site Admin

Thanks. I don't know why some people back then would intentionally scare children (family or friends) so badly, knowing that they had enough to fear as it was. Geeez.
Maybe it was a way for them to deal with their own fears. I don't know. :|

When I saw Laurie Strode hit the ground the other day, I was surprised by the "thud". I don't recall ever hearing it before. :| I was thinking that as she fell through the branches of the tree, her fall was slowed down and the impact was less intense than it could have been, but after hearing that "thud"....hmm.
Still, I also believe that she could have survived the stab wound, and the fall as well. That's one strong-willed woman, and no, there was no proof given to show that she had died. :)

Yes, as long as they can do justice to "Christine", then I'll go for a remake. I saw the remake of another absolute classic, "Carrie", and I didn't really like it. I wish they'd have left well-enough alone.
:roll:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:58 pm 

Ironic that you mention "Carrie"...I actually think they're remaking it again! :shock: I saw something about it the other day online....release date is March 15, 2013. The 2002 remake was a TV movie wasn't it? I saw it too and it wasn't that good. :| "The Rage: Carrie 2" in 1999 (which was a sequel to the 1976 original) was also fairly stupid. :roll:

I'll have to put my "Resurrection" DVD in and watch the beginning (even though it's my most hated part of the "Halloween" series) where Laurie is stabbed and falls. Maybe there was a thud and I just don't rememer it? :?:

I was looking on IMDB the other day and came across a supposedly "started" new "Halloween III". John Carpenter was supposed to write it and someone else was directing...but it wasn't Rob Zombie! But, as of now the project has not got off the ground and does not have a cast nor release date.

Even with Carpenter writing, if it's just like Zombie's films I'll hate it! :x It was said to supposed to be kind of a continuation from Zombie's first two films...so don't know? Even so, if he is not involved (thank God) and Carpenter writes it, I would hope the movie would not focus so much on the torture and gore, and once again more on plot and scare. But, who knows?

I recently was on ebay and came across a very detailed and realistic model made of the original Myers House from the first "Halloween". It's so freakin' awesome and I want to order one so bad! :lol: But, I'll have to wait till I can afford it. ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:39 pm 
Site Admin

---------
I hope the remake of "Carrie" is worth watching. It'll be worth watching according to some, but I'm speaking for myself. :lol:

Yes, The Rage: Carrie 2 was the second one and released in 1999. The 2002 remake, "Carrie", was supposed to be a pilot for a TV series, but failed.

I have a feeling that they'll go overboard with the sexual themes. There were such themes in the original, but these days, so many shows or movies just focus far too much on teens having sex. Sex sells, but geeez...give us a break sometime! :roll:

Rob Zombie should be banned from all things "Halloween"!
:x

Profile E-mail