It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My adventure during the first time I saw "The Ring"
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:24 pm 
Site Admin

Back in 2003, I was visiting my aunt and cousin out of town. I needed some time away from home as I was suffering the loss of my mom. My aunt invited me to spend a few days with them, and I accepted. They're both silly and a lot of fun to be around, so I was looking forward to hanging with them. At the time, my cousin was around 13 years old, but talking to her, you'd think she was at least twice that age. Very smart girl....now in college and recently studying how to make cooling systems for rocket ships, plus designing computer software for rocket designs. So proud of her! :mrgreen:

Moving on....

They LOVE horror movies, and had recently purchased "The Ring" and asked if I'd ever seen it. I told that I hadn't, so they said I just had to watch. We made a day of movies....even going to the theater after watching "The Ring" at the house. We gathered the appropriate junk food, settled in the den in our comfy clothes, lowered the lights and began the film. I was nice and cozy on the chaise lounge while my cousin lay on the floor and my aunt lay on the sofa.
This was my first time visiting their new home, so I wasn't familiar with any sounds that came from outside or inside, for that matter, unless I knew it was one of us. It was a fairly large home, so sometimes you have to really listen to figure out where a sound may be coming from.

As the movie went on, I kept hearing strange noises and couldn't figure out which parts of the house they were coming from. I didn't say anything for a long while. Finally, I asked if they'd heard any type of knocking or whatever, and they said they didn't. I let it go and kept watching the movie, getting more and more freaked out because of the creepy movie, the contorted faces of the victims, and those strange sounds. I tried to play it off and not have them notice my glancing around the room and toward the dining room and kitchen, but I had a feeling they saw me. After a while longer, I would hear slight giggling. They'd say it was something funny in a text message they'd just gotten. They had their phones on vibrate, so I figured it was true.

As more time passed, I kept losing focus on the movie as I tried to figure out those creepy sounds. It was really starting to bug me and my nerves were really getting on edge. At one point, my cousin got up and left the room as she giggled, saying that it was another silly text message. She came back and finished the movie. A little while later, she and my aunt were exchanging glances and my aunt asked if I were okay. I said I was and she said she was just checking because she knew I didn't like some horror movies and she was concerned. At one point, I heard a horrible noise and I nearly jumped from the chaise and asked "What was that?!" They started laughing hysterically and my aunt said "Look under your seat." I slowly took a look and saw a huge speaker from the surround sound system. :| The entire time, the weird sounds were coming from the movie! To make matters worse, they had set me up on purpose! :lol: My aunt stopped the movie and showed me several hidden speakers that were all over the room. It was so cool how she'd done that, so all the various sounds were bouncing off the walls, vibrating across the floor, etc., and no one knew where they were hidden. :lol:

They had been exchanging text messages, talking about me and laughing at me the entire time. :lol:

I was pretty nervous at the time, but I found it to be really funny after they let me in on the joke. My aunt said that she knew I needed to have a good scare and a good laugh after all I'd been through, so they had it all planned. I agree that the moment did take my mind off my loss, and when I found out about the joke, it did crack me up and make me feel better. :lol: I really appreciated them for making me laugh, but I wish they would have left out some of the scare tactics. LOL!

We left "The Ring" and went to dinner, then to the theater to see one of the "Matrix" films. After that, we returned home to finish "The Ring", and you best believe that I tried to be on guard for those speakers. LOL!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: My adventure during the first time I saw "The Ring"
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:41 am 

LOL! :lol: That's a pretty cool idea...I've never had surround sound but have always wanted it.

Also, back then it was fairly new and a good way to freak someone out...pretty ingenious! ;) I'm glad you found it funny and it took your mind of what you'd recently been through.

I LOVE scary/horror movies too (as long as they don't totally focus on the gore or graphic sex and nothing else), so I would have enjoyed this too. :)

However, I went and saw "The Ring" in theaters too, and I didn't really like it. :| It was too bizarre and I didn't totally understand it?? :? However, the facial contortions and the weird noises were pretty freaky. :shock:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:46 am 
Site Admin

Thanks. I thought it was cool, too. Like you said, SS was pretty new, so it was easy to catch someone off-guard, especially by hiding the speakers. :) I'm just soooooo thankful that I wasn't at the house alone or that they had gone to bed and I was in the room alone and watching. :o

You didn't like "The Ring"? I didn't like it, either! In fact, I've been known to say that I think it's stupid and that I hated it! :lol:

As I mentioned about my cousin being about 13, being seeming older, she tried to explain/analyze it all for me later that night, and I couldn't get into it like she did. She sounded like a college professor, and I could have done w/o that. I wasn't that eager to learn about the movie. :lol: I told her that I guess I'm not smart enough to grasp it and it's just over my head. I'm not ashamed! :lol:

I'm glad I didn't see it at the theater. I'd have been angry about spending my money on it. I went through that with "District 9". :roll:
My cousins and I were like "What the heck was that crap?!" We left the theater feeling angry and confused. Sheesh!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:43 pm 

Yeah, I hated "The Ring"...and "The Grudge". :| They were just too bizarre, and had really stupid endings. :roll: I've never seen any of the sequels for either movie. There were some truly freaky moments in each movie...but the "bizarrness", the aspect of being too confusing to understand or follow, and the stupid endings just runined them for me.

I don't think I've seen "District 9"...I've seen a really stupid, and pathetic horror/thriller movie called "Session 9". It was one of the dumbest and worst movies I've ever seen! :x But, I don't think I've seen "District 9".

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:52 am 
Site Admin

It seems that the Japanese horror films were really taking over at a point, many being remade into english/American versions. I didn't follow that trend. The Ring and The Grudge were enough, and like you, I didn't care for either.

Oh, I did forget that I watched Shutter, another Japanese film, "turned" American. It was weird/bizzare, too. The ending sort of made sense, once they finally revealed what was what. I had kinda figured it out a few minutes before the ending, though.

I don't think I've ever heard of Session 9.

District 9 is a sci-fi film that looked great to me during the previews. I hated the ending of it, too.
It was on TV last week. I didn't go near that channel. :roll:

Two days ago, I watched what I thought would be fairly intersting and somewhat scary....The Dunwich Horror. I was wrong. That's what I get for thinking. :|
It stars Dean Stocwell (Quantum Leap) and Sandra Dee (too many movies to name). I know what they were trying to do with the storyline, but it seemed to be all over the place and to be missing parts. It wasn't on a standard cable channel, so I think they cut anything out. Weird.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:22 am 

Yeah, the Japanese horror films seemed to be the "craze" for a few years...but it seems to have faded out now...thank goodness!

"Session 9" was a bizarre and really stupid horror/thriller from 2001, filmed at the famous abandoned Danvers State Mental Hospital in Danvers, Massachusettes. I think that Zack dude on Travel Channel's "Ghost Adventures" also did an episode in that same abandoned institution once. Anyway, the filming location was perfect for a frightening film...but the movie wasn't that scary, just stupid, very confusing, and it had a very stupid ending. :roll:

Sadly, since the movie the old Danvers Mental Hospital was demolished for new condominium apartments or something in I think 2007. :( No one cares about history anymore--let's tear down everything historic or worthwhile and build a bunch of styrofoam and plastic crap...that in 7-10 years it's falling apart--why? Oh yeah...because it's styrofoam and plastic! :x

Haven't heard of the "Dunwich Horror" either? Maybe try to find a "complete" version if you think stuff was cut out...I hate it when movies or TV episodes are edited. :|

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:09 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, I think it was time for the Japanese horror films to take a break, at least here in the states. I'm sure that many fans are renting or buying them, which okay by me. To each his own. I just felt a bit tired of every over movie being Japanese-based, you know? Sometimes the storylines were too...out there, but maybe I'm just slow. :lol:

Maybe I didn't miss much with Session 9. :|

Condos now built on the site of a former mental institution? Eeek! :?
:lol:

I'm not so excited about how the US tears down what are or could be great buildings. We're still a very new country when it comes to so many, like those in Europe (I don't think they ever tear anything down), so I would think they'd like to follow by example and leave proof of more actual history. Geeez! :roll:
I would really love to be able to have our future generations visit many locations and know that it's been there for centuries. That would be awesome, but at this rate....not gonna happen. Sad.

Since The Dunwich Horror aired on a movie channel, I was thinking that it wasn't edited and that all of it was shown. I was saying that the story itself was lacking and appeared to have parts missing. I may be wrong, though. It's just that some of the scenes seemed to follow through in the sense of editing, but not in the sense of continuity and explanation. Maybe I was trying to read more into it as I do like to study a movie while I watch. I try to catch many details.
:)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:22 am 

"The Dunwich Horror" was on the Syfy Channel earlier this past week...I watched the first 10-12 minutes of it and could tell pretty quick it was ridiculous and goofy. :roll: I didn't watch anymore and turned the channel.

No, you did not miss anything with not seeing "Session 9"...garbage movie. ;) Have you ever seen "The Amityville Horror"--1979 original or 2005 re-make?

Yeah, the U.S. does not care about or preserve its history...I have major issues with our country when we wipe out our history and then can't figure out why our young/future generations are becoming...shall we say "less informed" each year. :( Other countries have perserved and are still using buildings that were there at the time of Christ! You'd think we'd get a clue...but no. We're smarter-- right? :shock:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:48 pm 
Site Admin

Yep...really corny movie. :roll:

I've seen the original "The Amityville Horror" several times. It was on AMC (I think) during the weekend and I watched it. Good, good movie. Creepy, but good. I still like to pretend that at least some of those things really happened. Makes it scarier. :lol: I don't want it to be true that the boy actually killed his family, but parts of the events that went on with the Lutz family were scary and interesting. I wouldn't have stayed as long as they supposedly did. No way!

I read the book of what was supposed to contain some of the truth about the house and the families. Hmm. Interesting.
I've never seen the remake. I've seen "Amityville Dollhouse" and "Amytiville: The Possesion". That was a weird one. Geeez.

On the topic of preserving buildings, I think it's fantastic that other countries keep buildings intact. It may cause them to have tiny roads since they can't tear anything down to expand, but still.... :lol:

I would love to be able to travel to places where Jesus was known the be, and it was documented in the bible. I'd love to see the Coliseum and so much more.

Considering how young this land is when it comes to others, and how they keep tearing things down, the only thing that will truly be thousands of years old will be anything natural like a tree, a patch of dirt or somethin like that, but only in protected reserves. I guess the Grand Canyon is still safe. Geeeez. :roll:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:05 am 

Yeah, the original "Amityville" was really good. Supposedly the movie really exagerated the events that really happened to the Lutz's...but some of the things were supposed to be the truth.

I've read and seen a lot of articles and documentaries on the real-life case (as well as the Defeo murders--by Ronald Defeo, the oldest son, in the house before the Lutz family moved in). It goes back and forth...some say the evil stuff happened, others say it was a hoax. Either way, it makes a good scary story! ;) The remake was good too...but the original movie best captures the tale.

The other "Amityville" movies were pretty ridiculous...the 2nd movie was actually a prequel and more showcased the events of the Defeo murders. It was okay but still not as spooky as the first movie. The rest of the movies were pretty "campy" and goof-ball.

I would love to travel to the Holy Land and walk where Jesus did...but I think it's pretty dangerous right now too. :| But, yes...there won't be anything historic or of importance left by the time our country gets done with things...it'll all be constant constructing and destructing of plastic and styrofoam junk. :shock:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:57 am 
Site Admin

That Ronald Defeo was crazy and creepy, no matter what. :?

If the majority of what was told about "The Amityville Horror" is fiction, I still say something horrible went on in that house, and not just the murders. It may not have been as intense as the Lutz family said, but I think they had something else to go on, and that's how it call got started and made into something so huge.

I've seen documentaries, too, one family said that nothing ever went on during the time they've been there, but who can say for sure that that's the truth?
They could have some reason for keeping quiet.
Once the house was remodeled, (I think they change the house number, too) it was supposedly keeping people from finding it. I don't know about that. As famous as that house is, plus people who lived nearby knowing exactly which house it was and could tell others.....nah, not so hard to be found.
:|

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:58 am 
Site Admin

That Ronald Defeo was crazy and creepy, no matter what. :?

If the majority of what was told about "The Amityville Horror" is fiction, I still say something horrible went on in that house, and not just the murders. It may not have been as intense as the Lutz family said, but I think they had something else to go on, and that's how it call got started and made into something so huge.

I've seen documentaries, too, one family said that nothing ever went on during the time they've been there, but who can say for sure that that's the truth?
They could have some reason for keeping quiet.
Once the house was remodeled, (I think they change the house number, too) it was supposedly keeping people from finding it. I don't know about that. As famous as that house is, plus people who lived nearby knowing exactly which house it was and could tell others.....nah, not so hard to be found.
:|

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:58 pm 

Yeah, Ronald Defeo was crazy...and definitely creepy! :shock: He reminds me somewhat (even with physical looks too) of Charles Manson.

Yeah, the reall-life Amityville house that all this supposedly happned in was remodeled some and the house numbers changed. But, I've read the new numbers and directions on how to find the house online before. So, I don't think that helped. :lol:

I truly believe evil was at work in that house...especially with the Defeos. Whether or not actual evil spirits/demons were in the house and what happened to the Lutz's was true...not for sure? But, I agree something was not right. :o

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:11 pm 
Site Admin

Yep, Ronald reminds me a bit of Manson, too. Ultra creepy psycho.

I guess with the age of the internet, it does make it a bit easier to find the house. Google Earth! :lol:

Something was totally off in that house, actual demonic forces or not.
I just feel so bad for the Defeo family....the surviving relatives like grandparents/in-laws, aunts and uncles. Wow.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:56 pm 

Yeah, the remaining family members of both families are the ones who suffer, and will never forget or live-down the events of what happened to them in that house.

If I remember right, I think both George and Kathy Lutz are now dead. But, their kids are still alive--and I think the eldest son has recently done his own documentary and what happened to him and his family in the house. I sooo want to see it! I'll have to see if it's available to rent somewhere.

I think one of the eldest Defeo sisters survived their ordeal, besides Ronnie. In fact there are suspicions that she was involved with and/or knew about the murders. Other than that, I think Ronnie killed the rest of the family.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:05 am 
Site Admin

I knew George had died, but I wasn't sure about Kathy. I just looked it up, and you're right about both being dead.

I didn't know that their oldest son had made a documentary. Interesting. I'd like to see that, too.

I hadn't heard anything of the older Defeo girls surviving. I did a quick scan on a webpage and didn't see anything, unless they're hiding the fact that she's alive to protect her from the press and "fans".

I did read that Ronnie told police that his sister was one of the murderers, plus some of her and/or his friends were involved. At first, he said someone in the mob had done it, didn't he?
I have the book, and like the book of "Christine", it was pretty intense. I like the movies, but reading allows our imagines to work even harder, so we can freak ourselves out.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:26 am 

Yeah, maybe the sister was killed too...and Ronald just said she'd been involved after the fact...couldn't exactly remember.

The Lutz's son just made the documentary within the last year or two, and it just recently got released--I think. I'll have to look it up and see for sure.

I have the "Amityville Horror" book too...and even though the movie is awesome you are totally right that novels allow us to use our imagination and it's that much scarier! ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:38 am 
Site Admin

Okay, maybe I'll come across some info on the docu before long.

Yep, I love reading so much! The car chasing Buddy in "Christine", the novel, scared me more than the film version, though still quite scary and creeped me out. :lol:

I think it's because the novel described the gore. Eww.
:?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:23 am 

Perfect example comparing a novel to a movie...using Buddy Epperton getting chased by Christine. The novel is much more descriptive and much scarier...it was awesome! :o Even Christine going after Moochie Welch was much more frightening in the book.

However, for the time and what was available for special effects back in 1983, the movie "Christine" did try to capture as much from the novel as it could. Even though the novel was more descriptive and scarier...I did like the movie version of Christine coming after Moochie: He gets out of this semi after hitchhiking, and sees the silhouette of Christine in the dark. Suddenly Christine's engine turns over and she starts slowly driving towards Mooch...with her lights still off. Moochie realizes it's Christine and assumes Arnie is driving. He stammers: "Hey, Cunningham...you ain't mad are ya?" In that instant Christine's bright headlight beams engulf Moochie and she burns rubber--roaring towards him! The chase is on! :shock:

I have a diecast 1:18 model of Christine and I usually put it out along with my DVD around Halloween time. :lol: It's probably the closest to a bright red 1958 Plymouth Fury Sport Coupe I'll ever get. ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:10 pm 
Site Admin

---------
I think the special effects were really good for that time, too.

As for the books, a lot of times they do tend to cut out some great parts once they turn them into a film. Yes, time does play a huge factor.

In the book and on film, the scene with Moochie running from Christine is great, but the book went more into the description of the injuries and made it more intense in that way, but seeing it on film was great...spooky, erie....just great. :)

Another good and creepy scene in the movie is when that guy with the cigar gets his payment from Christine. I can't recall the details of that part in the book. :|

You have the die-cast mini of Christine? Will she be parked in front of the Myers house and waiting to get Michael?

Profile E-mail