It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: More computer issues...crackle, pop, smoke, burn. Ouch!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:07 am 
Site Admin

Hello, there!

I'm currently typing on my the tiny keyboard that connects to my drawing tablet. Last week, I was working on my laptop and the screen would go darker and lighter as if the cord was loose, but I saw that it wasn't. I picked the cord up from the floor to see if the part with the power pack was loose. It wasn't, but that part of the cord had been damaged.

I heard a crackling sound, a pop and then the next thing I knew, I was dropping the pack because my hand was in pain. I'd gotten my hand shocked and slightly burned. :shock:
I saw smoke and a tiny flame coming from the pack as it lay on the floor. :?
I snatched the cord from the computer and then from the wall. I know...I should have done it the opposite way. Try to save your house, first. LOL!

Thank God it was nothing more than a small electrical short that did its fire damage at the pack. :D

Since I didn't have anything more than redness on the surface of my hand (inside below the thumb), but it was hurting a lot and I had muscle spasms, I called my brother to see what he thought. After he explained, I came to realize that it had aggravated my nerves and muscles with the shock instead of being an actual burn on my skin.

It's still a little sore if I press down on it, but I'm okay. As for my computer, it has no power. The battery needed replacing a long time ago as it only holds a 25min. charge, and I used that up after the cord burned. I hope to get a new cord next week, but until I do, I can't post any fan fiction as they're all on my laptop, and even if I transfered them to this computer, it's too slow and the keyboard is annoying as it's so small and I always hit the wrong keys. :roll:

Fingers crossed that I get that new cord next week, and that I can get a new computer in the near future. That was has given me a hard time for a while, now.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: More computer issues...crackle, pop, smoke, burn. Ouch!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:51 pm 

Location: What kind of question is that? At my computer, silly!
Oh my goodness! That is so scary!

I'm very sorry to hear about your laptop but I am so relieved to know that you (and your house - lol!) are okay!

How are you feeling now?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:02 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, it was a bit scary, though I tried not to panic. It seems that I did a little, considering I thought about the computer before the house. LOL! Honestly, I thought I'd get a bigger shock or electrocuted if I went for the wall socket, so with that fear, I hesitated. :oops:

Thanks. I'm glad that my house and I are both okay, too. :)

My hand is still sore. I just got back from running errands and I think the steering wheel aggravated it a bit, though I tried not to steer too much with it. I'm left-handed, and since it's my right hand that's injured, I can get by pretty well.
I've noticed that typing seems to bother it, too. I guess it'll take a few more days for the muscle to do what it needs to do in the way of healing and having the spasms stop.

Thanks again for your concern.
:)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:14 pm 

Yikes, LM! Sorry to hear that you got zapped, and I'm glad you -- and your house -- are okay! I hope your laptop is back in service soon and that you can get back to the fanfic writing! :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:33 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks! :)

I'm so glad that it wasn't anything more serious, and I'm glad I was home/in the room to catch it before it may have done damage to the house or computer. :?

Once I get the new cord and my hand feels better, I hope I can get a lot of writing done.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:01 pm 
Site Admin

I ordered my new cord, and it's due to arrive on Monday. I hope it does get here by then. My wrists and fingers need a break from this little computer. I'm glad to have it to get online, but the keys are hard to press, the keyboard is too small, and I simply miss my larger laptop. :|

Fingers crossed that I'll be able to get some work done at a faster pace, and will also be writing and posting my stories, again.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 4:37 pm 

Location: What kind of question is that? At my computer, silly!
Great to hear!

I hope it arrives smoothly and everything is back to normal.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:12 am 
Site Admin

---------
Thanks a lot, HATBC! Glad you were able to stop by! :)

Profile E-mail