It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: J.R. Ewing Dies
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:25 pm 

Don't know how many "Dallas" fans there are here, but I thought I'd pass along some very sad news for those fans of probably the most famous and popular primetime drama ever created:

On Friday, November 23rd (just the day after Thanksgiving) Larry Hagman passed away in a Dallas, Texas hospital. He finally lost his battle with cancer. :cry: Larry created probably the most popular TV villian ever, J.R. Ewing...that we all "loved" to hate. ;) Years before that he was Major Anthony Nelson on "I Dream of Jeannie", with Barbara Eden.

He was surrounded by family and close friends as he took his final breaths...including actress Linda Gray. Gray played Sue Ellen Ewing...his long-suffering wife on "Dallas". Last year, during production of TNT's new re-boot of "Dallas", Hagman was diagnosed with some form of cancer. Hagman claimed it was very cureable and his treatments were going successfully.

After his death, it was revealed that it was throat cancer. The 2nd season of the new "Dallas" premieres this January...and Hagman should be in a few of the first episodes. Don't know how his death will affect the show--but the first season this last summer turned "Dallas" into the most popular & highest rated cable drama on TV! However, "Dallas" will never be the same without its famous "bad-guy" to liven things up. Rest in peace Larry/J.R.!

Larry Hagman: 1931-2012

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: J.R. Ewing Dies
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:54 am 
Site Admin

I heard about it on the day he died.

I watched "Dallas" and like many, I loved to hate JR. When he played Anthony Nelson on "I Dream of Jeannie", I thought he was so cute/handsome. He was able to show his comedic/silly-side in that show, too.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:42 pm 

Yeah, he actually was a very versatile actor...but he became so famous for his portrayal of J.R. that that's what everyone associates him with. Everyone that knew him always stated that he was nothing like J.R., and he was very humorous, a jokester, caring, and kind. Televison will miss him! :(

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:40 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, I'm sure there are millions of people who had no idea of him being on "I Dream of Jeannie", until reading about it in the news of his death.

J.R Ewing is one of the most memorable TV characters of all time.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:59 am 

so sad! :(. I didn't watch Dallas too much, but I did watch him in I Dream of Jeannie! :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:57 pm 

Yeah, in the past few years he reconnected with Barbara Eden and they did several "I Dream of Jeannie" reunion interviews--I think to maybe help promote DVD releases or something.

But, he'll always be remembered as J.R. Ewing--one of the most famous TV characters of all-time for sure! Barbara Eden also had a recurring guest role in the last season of "Dallas" too. To try and bring some of the ratings back up, Hagman thought bringing in Eden (for those who remembered "Jeannie") for a nice "twist" would liven things up. But, it didn't work...and "Dallas" was not renewed for a 15th season.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:13 pm 

---------
Read recently that Larry Hagman's death was kind of a surprise for cast & crew...as he'd made it sound as if his cancer treatments were successful. So, his (aka J.R.'s) death was not planned obviously for the storylines of this next 2nd season of TNT's new revival series.

So, now they are having to change all the scripts for the upcoming episodes to revolve around the death of J.R. He will be in the first several episodes of 2nd season (as Larry filmed almost right up to a few days before he died)...but TNT did say they plan to give J.R. a "Dallas" style farewell, with funeral and all. :(

I think they should have J.R. murdered...say blown up in a plane or something, and everyone has to figure out who did it. Whatever they do, they should make it as shocking as possible...and it might be the 2nd most remembered "Dallas" storyline (Who killed J.R.?) next to the original Who shot J.R.? ;)

The 2nd season of "Dallas" premieres on TNT on January 28, 2013--I believe with a 2hr episode. Can't wait!! :)

Profile E-mail