It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Horror film, "Christine" airs on AMC today at 2pm CST
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:12 pm 
Site Admin

So far, I think Hunterman and I are the only ones interested. :lol:

If you'd like to catch it (edited version, of course), tune in to AMC at 3/2pm today (Sunday).
I think it airs Monday morning at 11am CST, too.

I have to be away from home for a while today, so I hope my recorder works. I haven't seen it in at least a year, so....

Enjoy!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Horror film, "Christine" airs on AMC today at 2pm CST
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:51 pm 

Awesome...thanks for letting me know! :) However, I have the special edition DVD of "Christine" and I watched it a couple weeks ago. I usually watch it once around Halloween time. ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:04 pm 
Site Admin

No problem.
Watching it on unedited DVD is even better. :)

Right now, I'm watching "IT" on Spike. It started at 7pm and lasts until 10pm.
I could have recorded it if I had time, I didn't think I'd have time to get my DVD ready to record, but I'd forgotten that I had one in the machine...the one I hopefully recorded "Christine" on, but I missed the first minute, so I didn't bother adding it to that disc. :|

I hate clowns, but I like "IT"....been a fan since the release in the 90s. Weird. Fingers crossed that I don't have dreams or nightmares of Pennywise. :?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:50 pm 

Yeah, "Christine" mostly has language edited out (at least in the past...nowdays most cussing is left in)--especially the F-word. "Christine" was purposely done with tons of F-bombs to gain a hard-R rating, so teens and young adults would go see it. :lol:

However, one of the famous mobster movies came out around the same time and practically included quadruple the number of F-words that "Christine" did...so "Chrissy" is fairly tame compared to some movies. ;)

"IT" was scary, and very well done for a TV movie at the time! It still wasn't as good as the novel...but hey, it was 1990! They shoud do a theater revised version of "IT"--like "Christine", with today's technological advances they could do wonders with both movies! :) But, yeah, Pennywise was freaky and definitely a creepy clown! :o

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:25 am 
Site Admin

Would that mobster movie happen to be "Scarface"? That's the only one I can think of that may have been made around that time, though I don't follow that type of movie too much. At first, I thought about "The Godfather". I looked it up and saw that it was made in the 70s. Wow. I didn't know it was that old. :|

Yep, I guess the "F-bomb" does attract the attention of many.

As for a theater version of "IT"; someplace along our discussion about horror movies, I thought I posted that they're currently talking of working on a version to be released in theaters. I also read that there's talk of a new two-part TV movie instead of the theater version. I don't know what's what, but I hope they do well with it, either way.
I don't know how I'll deal with seeing a movie screen-sized version of Pennywise. Oooh, what if it's in 3D?! :o
I'm getting nervous just thinking about it. :lol:

I also read that there may be a remake of "Pet Sematary", but I don't know if it's for TV or theater.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:36 am 

Yes..."Scarface" was the mob movie I was referring to. "The Godfather" is much older.

Now that you mention it...you did state earlier sometime that possibly a theater and/or or new version of "IT" is in the works. I'd forgotten that. :oops: I really hope they do a theater movie (not necessarily a 3-D version ;) ) rather than a TV one again. Although TV has made milestones in what they can do with special effects compared to 1990...a big-screen version would still be the best route with trying to capture the "scare" of the novel.

But either way, I'd want to see it! "IT" and "Christine" are my two favorite Stephen King novels/movies. As for "Pet Semetary"---I hope not. :roll: I really did NOT like that novel or movie! :| Even though I know it's Stephen King, "Pet" was a little too sad and sick for even me. Pets and children are just sort of no-no's to kill or torture in my opinion. Stick to the stupid adults. ;)

By the way...speaking of remakes...did you read the post in my "Halloween" thread that they're remaking "Carrie" again? Release date is March 15th. I'll probably see it--but I might wait for video and eventually rent it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:34 am 
Site Admin

Okay.

I think it would be best to have "IT" on the big screen, too. It would give so many other people, possibly worldwide, to learn of the story. :) I also think that they could do more special effects with a theater version.

As for "Pet Sematary", I don't guess I saw it as torturing the kids or pets, but they just didn't let their spirits rest. I guess in a way, that's torturing them. I think the worst of it was for the little girl (Ellie?) who lost her family because her dad couldn't handle his suffering. Geeez.

Yes, I saw your comment about "Carrie". I'll try to reply, soon.
:)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:09 am 

I don't necessarily think "Pet Semetary" had pets and children being tortured...but it did have them being killed in tragic ways and then returning in evil forms. It was just a little too "messed" up for me. :| In reality anyone being killed is horrific and/or tragic...but in the movies killing kids and pets is worse. ;)

Yeah, "IT" would be awesome in a theater version...but we'll have to wait and see if they end up re-doing it and if it's on TV again or in movie theaters.

No big deal about "Carrie"...just thought I'd let you know. :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:23 pm 
Site Admin

I thought the scene of the baby Gage's shoe after he was hit by the truck was a bit much. They could have just moved on to the family gathering during or after his wake. Maybe after, because having the casket (or coffin) fall was not a great moment. Both scenes, featuring a baby/child are pretty horrific. Same goes for an adult.

Still, I think it's a pretty good movie.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:50 pm 

It was a good freaky movie and pretty much captured the book...I'll give it that. It's been years since I've seen it (as I've only seen it once), maybe sometime I'll watch it again. "Cujo" also is not one of my favorite King novels/movies. It too is tragic and sad--as a loving dog becomes evil and psychotic with rabies and ends up trapping a wife and child in their car...the boy ending up dead (at least in the book he died from dehydration and no food/water for days). :(

"Christine" and "IT" are my favorite Stephen King novels/movies. "The Shining" was good too...but I like the 1997 TV Mini-Series re-make much better than Jack Nicholson's original 1980 version. I'm not a Nicholson fan (except for his portrayal as The Joker in 1989's "Batman") and I thought the original "The Shining" movie was boring and bizarre. :? I also do not care for Shelley Duvall...in my opinion she is not attractive and was just weird in that movie. :|

Stephen King himself actually was on set and helped with the 1997 TV Mini-series re-make...and even he stated that version was much better than the original movie version, and captured more of the "scare" from the novel.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:41 pm 
Site Admin

I can't watch watch "Cujo" because that dog is so gross! I remember when it first aired on TV many years ago (probably on HBO or Cinamax), and my great-granddad was watching it in his den. My great-grandma was in the kitchen, so my mom, brother and I decided to visit with great-granddad and see what the movie was about. We'd just come in on the part where the mother and son are trapped in the car. Gross! One by one, we left the room...starting with me, then my brother, then my mom. LOL! My great-grandma said that's why she was in the kitchen. :lol:

I've never read the book as I've never had any interest in the story. When it's on TV, I skip over it like I did this Halloween season. Ugh!
I didn't expect the spoiler about the little boy dying. Hmm. That's really sad. I don't know what happens to him in the movie for sure, but I think I read that he and maybe his mom both survive.

I don't recall seeing the TV version of "The Shining". I do like the movie, (can't watch the scene of the woman coming out of the tub....gross) but I'm not really a fan of Jack's, either. Shelley Duvall was okay, I guess. Her character was quite wimpy and annoying, though. Hmm. It just dawned on me that I used that word and was reminded of the movie "Popeye", the character of Wimpy, and Duvall also bing in the movie. :lol: I've never seen that entire movie as Ididn't care for what little I saw. Anyway, it was nice to finally see that Duvall's character in "The Shining" finally gained some strength, but I think little Danny was always the stronger of the two.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:45 pm 

Yeah, I did not like the novel or the movie "Cujo"...and I agree--gross! I've only read the book once years ago...but I could swear in the novel the boy dies and the parents have to learn to deal with his death, while in the movie I think he does survive. But, I could be wrong...maybe the kid lives in both? I really don't care to go back and find out. ;)

Yeah, in 1997 they decided to do a re-make of "The Shining". They actually filmed it at The Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, Colorado--the hotel Stephen King originally stayed at in the 70's and gave him the idea for the book. If I remember right I think it's called The Overlook in the book and movies. It was a TV Mini-Series and I think I actually still have the 3-part 1997 original airing on VHS tape boxed up somewhere, :lol: . But, I also have a DVD now too.

Danny Torrance was always the stronger of his family--of both his parents, and the hotel knew it. He was the most interesting character (besides the haunted hotel itself) and I liked the kid who played him in the 97 version (Courtland Mead) better than the 1980 kid too. Steven Weber (from the sitcom "Wings") played the dad Jack Torrance and Rebecca De Mornay played the mom Wendy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:28 pm 
Site Admin

I may decide to check online for some info about the book.
I don't want to buy it, I only want to see if there's a note about what happened to the little boy.

I still watch "Wings" each weeknight, and Steven Weber (Brian) is always so funny. :lol:

I can't imagine living in such a huge, empty hotel in the middle of nowhere, knowing that I was basically stranded there. It wouldn't help at all to know that it's haunted and that my husband is a psychotic killer who has been around much longer than one previous thought. I've been to haunted places before, but something like that....no thank you. :lol:

We talked about Shelly Duvall, earlier. I read online that she received the Razzie Award for worst actress for "The Shining". Geeez. LOL!

I looked for a clip of the version with Steven Weber on Youtube, but didn't see one. Seems like I do recall at least a preview, now that you've told me who starred in it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:32 pm 

I checked online after the other night about the novel "Cujo". I was unfortunately right...the little boy (Tad I think) did die at the end of the book. However, I think he does survive in the movie version. But, I dislike both the book and the movie as they're sad and like you said...just gross. :( :|

As for being cooped up in a gi-normous hotel all winter...as long as I had plenty of food, books, movies, perhaps "drink" ;) , and could be able to have contact with someone I'd maybe do it. But as for the haunted part...probably not. I've been to some so-called haunted places before too...but nothing really ever happened. ;) It's just fun to check them out if I know where they're at.

Youtube is getting to where you can't find that much on there of movies, TV shows, or music--unless it's put there by official studios or companies that own the rights to the movie/show/song. So, I've never looked for the '97 version of "The Shining" there before. But, like I said I have the DVD so I don't need to look for it anywhere else. I just liked it better than the 1980 movie, and it seems to capture more of the novel.

Check out the Wikipedia section for the '97 "The Shining"...it pretty much tells all and also talks a little about Stephen King's dissatisfaction with the original 1980 version and that he did not like Jack Nicholson's portrayal of Jack Torrance. It also talks about the '97 version actually being filmed at the Stanley Hotel in Colorado--the hotel King originally stayed at that helped insipire him to write the book.

It doesn't surprise me that Shelley Duvall receiving the worst actress award for her part in the original "Shining"...she was just weird and bizarre--but the whole movie basically was. :roll:

Here is a pic of the DVD cover for the 1997 "The Shining":

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:23 pm 
Site Admin

I've encounters will actual ghosts, and thankfully, nothing as bad as what was shown in "The Shining". :?
I hope I never come across anything like that. If think if I had a drinky-poo while in such a place, it may make things worse for me. :lol:

I read about the TV version on wikipedia.org a few days ago to compare, and a photo, there. Thanks, anyway. :)

As for Shelley, I guess someone thought she'd suit the part, but maybe they should have thought about that again. I wonder who else they had in mind?

Yes, it's getting tougher to find some of the movies and TV shows, but here lately, I've been finding a lot of old movies on Youtube that have been uploaded by what I assume are fans. I found "Duel" (starring Dennis Weaver) and watched it the night before Thanksgiving. Great movie, in my opinion.
There are many, many others that I wish someone would upload "Angel City" starring Ralph Waite of "The Waltons".

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:16 am 

I've been to the Myrtles Plantation in Lousiana and the Stull, Kansas Cemetary with abandoned remains of an old church--both of these are supposedly a couple of the most haunted/evil places in the U.S. I have pics of both places...however, nothing happened at either. ;)

Sadly, the old church in the Stull cemetary is now gone...as I was there several years ago. The Myrtles Plantation is actually somewhat famous and was built in the 1700's--and has a very bloody and violent past. You can even book rooms to stay there, and I would love to do that sometime! But, it's expensive and you have to book quite a while in advance before planning to stay as it's usually booked up. We just toured it back in summer 2010. Nothing happened but in a couple of the pics we took there ended up being some weird orbs of light. But I don't really believe in "orbs" as ghosts and it could've been the sunlight affecting our camera. ;)

I've also been to my own public library tons of times...that my very own great-great-great aunt supposedly haunts! Sounds silly, but no kidding! :lol: Ida Day-Holzapfel was the head librarian in our town's first library...then again in the one they built in the late 1940's (which is still the library today). In 1954 she retired and went out to California (where some relatives lived) to take a lesser stressed job of assistant librarian. Sadly, on her first day of work there...on the way to that library she was hit and killed by a car. Supposedly not long after that our town's library workers started seeing her and hearing/seeing strange things in the basement/book storage part of the basement.

She was my mom's great-great aunt and my mom did know her when she was little. She's sort of one of the few famous ghost/legends in my small town...although she's never paid me any visits the hundreds of times I've been in the library. :P Supposedly (and this is not confirmed as actually true) the producers of "Ghost Busters" back in 1984 heard about this ghost story of Ida Day (for some reason her married last name is usually left off) and included a "sillier" version of it towards the beginning of the movie...aka the ghost librarian.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:11 am 
Site Admin

I've heard of the Myrtles Plantation and have seen it featured on the History Channel, or maybe Discovery. The stories were very interesting and the re-inactments were chilling. Nice! LOL!

I've never heard of Stull cemetery.
While in New Orleans on our way back from our cruise, we drove through a couple of cemeteries. One was the New Orleans Masonic Cemetery. It had some interestings tombs, and one looked something like a small castle. Have you been there? We didn't have time to walk around, but I took photos from the car.

When it comes to orbs, a lot of people don't go by those as proof, but thought it's hard to describe how, I've learned to tell the difference, so I do. I was reading information on a site about the paranormal (a team that will research a person's home) and they don't believe in using orbs as any proof, either. It's true that it's more likely to be nothing than something, but I've come across a few that were something.

What do you think of having your aunt's ghost cause the library to gain some fame and to have her somewhat "featured" in a movie? I'd think it's pretty cool.
:)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:14 am 

---------
LOL...Yeah, it's kind of cool, and people in town think it's awesome when I tell them I'm related to the "ghost". :lol:

Someday I plan to return to Myrtles Plantation and stay a night or two...just to see if something happens. ;) I've never been to any cemetaries in New Orleans...but I have been to some in Natchez, Mississippi. One was really creepy at night--and there was some stories about weird things happening in one in particular. There was a lot of Civil War things and buildings from that time period still standing that are said to be very haunted and have activity all the time.

Anyway, I've never had too many "ghostly" experiences...just heard stories and I've been to some places that are said to be haunted. Don't know how much you should really "flirt" around with stuff like that ;) but it's kind of fun and thrilling.

Profile E-mail