It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hi there! Just joined the forum...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:30 pm 

Hey there.. I realize there may not be a ton of activity here, but I have had so much fun going through reading all the old post and conversations! I wish I had looked into forums a decade ago!! I have been obsessed with Hunter since the pilot. I was 7 years old and begged my mom to let me watch the "new cop show". She gave in and I was hooked!!

I thought at a very young age that I wanted to go into law enforcement (specifically a homicide detective), so I watched every cop show on the air.. but none captured my interest like "Hunter". I looked up to McCall-even at a young age I understood how hard it would be to be a woman in a man's profession-but her character was so amazing to me! When I got to high school, I knew that I still wanted to go into law enforcement, but more so on the science part of it. Forensics became my new passion. However life got in the way, and I never pursued my dream.. until now.

At 35, I am back in college to pursue my dream of becoming a forensic biologist. And I know It sounds crazy, but re-watching the "Hunter" series, now on Hulu reminded me of my childhood, and the path I had for my future. No one in my life can understand how a t.v show can change your life, but maybe someone here can relate... LOL.

So I realize I'm rambling, just excited that others out there still have love for H&M! I used to write fanfic for Silk Stalkings, but have never given it a try with Hunter... Oh and aside from Hunter, I am a huge SK fan.. When I was little I would have to beg my mom to let me watch her on the late night talk shows when she was making an appearance. And of course the Bob Hope specials! ;) She always had such a positive outlook on life, and was hysterical! I have enjoyed catching some later interviews with her on youtube.. she is still as amazing as I remember..

Well guess that's enough babbling for now.. Look forward to adding my two cents worth to some of the older post.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Hi there! Just joined the forum...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:45 pm 
Site Admin

kleerphish wrote:
Hey there.. I realize there may not be a ton of activity here, but I have had so much fun going through reading all the old post and conversations! I wish I had looked into forums a decade ago!! I have been obsessed with Hunter since the pilot. I was 7 years old and begged my mom to let me watch the "new cop show". She gave in and I was hooked!!

I thought at a very young age that I wanted to go into law enforcement (specifically a homicide detective), so I watched every cop show on the air.. but none captured my interest like "Hunter". I looked up to McCall-even at a young age I understood how hard it would be to be a woman in a man's profession-but her character was so amazing to me! When I got to high school, I knew that I still wanted to go into law enforcement, but more so on the science part of it. Forensics became my new passion. However life got in the way, and I never pursued my dream.. until now.

At 35, I am back in college to pursue my dream of becoming a forensic biologist. And I know It sounds crazy, but re-watching the "Hunter" series, now on Hulu reminded me of my childhood, and the path I had for my future. No one in my life can understand how a t.v show can change your life, but maybe someone here can relate... LOL.

So I realize I'm rambling, just excited that others out there still have love for H&M! I used to write fanfic for Silk Stalkings, but have never given it a try with Hunter... Oh and aside from Hunter, I am a huge SK fan.. When I was little I would have to beg my mom to let me watch her on the late night talk shows when she was making an appearance. And of course the Bob Hope specials! ;) She always had such a positive outlook on life, and was hysterical! I have enjoyed catching some later interviews with her on youtube.. she is still as amazing as I remember..

Well guess that's enough babbling for now.. Look forward to adding my two cents worth to some of the older post.

Hello, and welcome! :)

It's nice to see another fan join the group.

The forum used to be quite busy, but so many people have gotten busy with life away from the forum, and some just got burned out on "Hunter" for a while, so I've been told. I actually took a long break from watching any of the episodes a few years ago, starting up again, then took another long break. I just watched an episode last week for the first time in a year. I still love my show, though! :)

I had a forum before this one; it was full of spam and posts were automatically deleted by the stupid setup, even though I had it set not to delete, so we moved. That forum stayed fairly busy. About twelve years ago, I met a lot of those people at a Hunter message board and I've become quite close to a few of them.

I usually check the forum a couple of times a day as I'm the moderator and I have to see what's going on. I had considered closing the forum several times as it was a bit much for me to check on as I had a lot going on, but fans said to keep it going. I did, and things still get really slow here at times. I still enjoy seeing the old topics. I just wish that those who come by to lurk, would take a minute to post. They may have something interesting that's worth reading. :)

There have been a couple of stories of how female fans chose their careers because of Dee Dee McCall. One of my friends who is a fan, got into the field of law because of McCall.

Stepfanie is such a sweetheart. :)
She's always very caring and friendly toward her fans, and she truly appreciates them.
She said she'd come to the forum to answer questions when she has the time, but she's always so busy. She'll make it one day.

I hope you'll enjoy your time on the forum, and once syntax6 gets the chance, she'll add more topics. She and I have been trying to keep things moving, but she gets pretty busy, too. She's been writing a lot of fanfiction, lately. You can find her work on fanfiction.net, and I also suggest that you check out work by BJC525 (I've co-written with her), and Dana Benson. I have two here and about four over there. There, my ID is LM5657.

Have a good one!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:22 pm 

Welcome, kleerphish! It's always nice to meet another Hunter fan. :) Good on you for going back to school to pursue your dream! That takes guts, and I hope it pays dividends for you. I agree that forensic biology is a fascinating subject, and I wish you the best of luck with your studies.

I, too, found Hunter at a young age (11 or 12, I think), and I looked up to McCall as well, albeit for different reasons. I had the unfortunate experience of being raped as a child and then left pretty much alone to deal with it because my shell-shocked parents just couldn't cope. So I was the only 8 year old in the city checking out books on rape from the library. I was looking for stories of women and children who had been through what I had and survived, and it was in this context I found Hunter. That McCall's experience continued to be a part of who she was, but did not define her, was huge to me. It was a very early lesson for me in the power of fiction. Just because the people aren't real doesn't mean there is no truth in the stories.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:36 pm 

The forum used to be quite busy, but so many people have gotten busy with life away from the forum, and some just got burned out on "Hunter" for a while, so I've been told. I actually took a long break from watching any of the episodes a few years ago, starting up again, then took another long break. I just watched an episode last week for the first time in a year. I still love my show, though! :)

I had a forum before this one; it was full of spam and posts were automatically deleted by the stupid setup, even though I had it set not to delete, so we moved. That forum stayed fairly busy. About twelve years ago, I met a lot of those people at a Hunter message board and I've become quite close to a few of them.

I usually check the forum a couple of times a day as I'm the moderator and I have to see what's going on. I had considered closing the forum several times as it was a bit much for me to check on as I had a lot going on, but fans said to keep it going. I did, and things still get really slow here at times. I still enjoy seeing the old topics. I just wish that those who come by to lurk, would take a minute to post. They may have something interesting that's worth reading. :)

There have been a couple of stories of how female fans chose their careers because of Dee Dee McCall. One of my friends who is a fan, got into the field of law because of McCall.

She's always very caring and friendly toward her fans, and she truly appreciates them.
She said she'd come to the forum to answer questions when she has the time, but she's always so busy. She'll make it one day.

I hope you'll enjoy your time on the forum, and once syntax6 gets the chance, she'll add more topics. She and I have been trying to keep things moving, but she gets pretty busy, too. She's been writing a lot of fanfiction, lately. You can find her work on fanfiction.net, and I also suggest that you check out work by BJC525 (I've co-written with her), and Dana Benson. I have two here and about four over there. There, my ID is LM5657.

Have a good one!
[/quote]

Thank you for the welcome. I will have to check out the sites you gave me for other fanfiction!! However, I am a little afraid to find a site that is only fanfic.. I might never leave my computer again!! :lol: LOL!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:53 pm 

syntax6 wrote:
Welcome, kleerphish! It's always nice to meet another Hunter fan. :) Good on you for going back to school to pursue your dream! That takes guts, and I hope it pays dividends for you. I agree that forensic biology is a fascinating subject, and I wish you the best of luck with your studies.

I, too, found Hunter at a young age (11 or 12, I think), and I looked up to McCall as well, albeit for different reasons. I had the unfortunate experience of being raped as a child and then left pretty much alone to deal with it because my shell-shocked parents just couldn't cope. So I was the only 8 year old in the city checking out books on rape from the library. I was looking for stories of women and children who had been through what I had and survived, and it was in this context I found Hunter. That McCall's experience continued to be a part of who she was, but did not define her, was huge to me. It was a very early lesson for me in the power of fiction. Just because the people aren't real doesn't mean there is no truth in the stories.

Hi and thank you! So sorry something so terrible happened to you at all, but especially at such a young age. I always felt like McCall's rape was handled very well. A true test to SK's acting ability. I actually just watched a Hunter episode last night that I had never seen called Any Second Now ( I believe that is the title) and there's a really touching scene where she is talking about how Rick was there for her, let her go through all the emotions she needed to go through for her own healing, etc. It was just very real.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:07 pm 
Site Admin

kleerphish wrote:

Have a good one!

kleerphish wrote:
Thank you for the welcome. I will have to check out the sites you gave me for other fanfiction!! However, I am a little afraid to find a site that is only fanfic.. I might never leave my computer again!! :lol: LOL!

You're welcome.

Nothing wrong with being a bit addicted to "Hunter" fanfiction. :lol:

I read your reply to syntax6 about "Any Second Now", and if you mean the episode with assault survivor Theresa Saldana, yes, you have the right episode title. It's amazing that she went through what she did and lived to tell about it, and even more-so by allowing her story be brought to others by way of parts being told, or somewhat hinted at in shows like "Hunter".

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:50 am 

Quote:
Hi and thank you! So sorry something so terrible happened to you at all, but especially at such a young age. I always felt like McCall's rape was handled very well. A true test to SK's acting ability. I actually just watched a Hunter episode last night that I had never seen called Any Second Now ( I believe that is the title) and there's a really touching scene where she is talking about how Rick was there for her, let her go through all the emotions she needed to go through for her own healing, etc. It was just very real.

Yes, Any Second Now is a great episode on a lot of levels, and as LM mentions, especially meaningful in that it was a way for Theresa Saldana to talk about what had happened to her and her efforts to spur on anti-stalking laws. We've come a long way since then, although of course the laws will only go so far. I think every woman should read The Gift of Fear by Gavin De Becker as a kind of blue print on how to deal with potentially threatening situations. We are socialized to be nice and repress our own instincts, but listening to your gut can be life-saving.

Anyway, thank you, yes, I am fine now, truly. Happily married to a great guy and just basically living the life of Reilly. But I wanted to say that I do understand, perhaps better than most, how a TV show can change your life. ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:52 pm 

you know I recognized the actress from other roles, but I never knew about her attack in real life until I googled her yesterday!! All I can say is WOW!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:22 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, pretty intense situation for her. She's a true fighter! :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:56 pm 

Location: What kind of question is that? At my computer, silly!
I know I don't get to come around often, but I just wanted to welcome you to the forum as well.

I also wanted to congratulate you on following your dreams - I can completely relate! Many, many, years ago - my high school sweetheart and I had a dream of running our own law firm. He went away to pursue law school, and I stayed to attended a college closer to home and decided to go into teaching instead ( don't get me wrong - I LOVED every bit about it and watching the children grow, but I out grew it), and eventually - like most HS sweethearts - we broke up (for awhile ;) ). Now - flash forward a few yeas, and my life is wonderful. My HS sweetheart is now my husband, and with is encouragement, I applied for law school! With two semesters down, I feel great and can't wait to work along side of my husband and my FIL, and SIL.

And I can only hope that you find much success. Best of luck! Keep us updated!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:37 pm 

Thanks HATBC for the welcome.. congrats on Law school.. how exciting... I'm working towards my masters and boy has life been crazy this last month or so.. as if school and work (both full time) weren't enough, I was given the opportunity to intern one day a week at the GBI's crime lab.. no way could I turn that down.. would love to get on there permanently :ugeek: still have a ways to go.. but keeping my fingers crossed 8-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:32 am 
Site Admin

HATBC wrote:
I know I don't get to come around often, but I just wanted to welcome you to the forum as well.

I also wanted to congratulate you on following your dreams - I can completely relate! Many, many, years ago - my high school sweetheart and I had a dream of running our own law firm. He went away to pursue law school, and I stayed to attended a college closer to home and decided to go into teaching instead ( don't get me wrong - I LOVED every bit about it and watching the children grow, but I out grew it), and eventually - like most HS sweethearts - we broke up (for awhile ;) ). Now - flash forward a few yeas, and my life is wonderful. My HS sweetheart is now my husband, and with is encouragement, I applied for law school! With two semesters down, I feel great and can't wait to work along side of my husband and my FIL, and SIL.

And I can only hope that you find much success. Best of luck! Keep us updated!

I'm glad that things are still going well with school. Is "D" helping with your homework? :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:00 pm 

Thanks, LM! Hope all is well for you also!

Yes, "D" is very good with the homework help. Actually, he's a pretty good teacher, too. Maybe he missed his calling? LOL

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:21 am 
Site Admin

You're welcome.

Hmm. Maybe if "D" has a break from work at some point, he could start teaching or at least do some guest speaking at some colleges or high schools for those interested in that line or work. :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:59 pm 

Actually, it's funny that you mentioned that. With us spending an arm and a leg on school, I jokingly tell him that if we ever have kids we're both going to have to become professors so our kids can get tuition deferment (I don't even want to think of the price of higher education in the next 20+ years!).

Well, he thinks I'm joking....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:23 pm 
Site Admin

Hmm, a deferment probably does come in handy for a lot of people. :)
Eh, it wouldn't hurt to become professors on the side. :lol:

I'm sure the cost of education in 20+ years will be outrageous. I'm guessing people said the same thing twenty years ago. I don't guess there's ever a break in that, is it?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:23 pm 

I'm actually looking into teaching at the local university. For as much as I love law school, I don't know if I actually want to practice law. After I finish my degree, I'd be eligible to teach some of the criminal justice classes, so we'll see what happens. I did enjoy teaching, and I know college level teaching is much different than what I am used to, but some changes may be good!

It's a never ending cycle! Inflation at it's finest! :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:33 pm 
Site Admin

---------
Sounds good, so go for it. :)

Since you're interested in law and teaching, you'll have a bit of both worlds.

You might miss out on the construction paper art when it comes to college students. :lol:

Best of luck!

Profile E-mail