It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:59 pm 

Hi, Hunter peeps! Boy, I wish there had been a message board around for discussing Hunter back when it was on the air. Instead, I tortured my poor friends and family with my endless theorizing and obsession. Major thanks to LM for keeping a community going for a long-defunct show. I like to think of fictional characters as immortal, but the truth is, they need live discussion to achieve that goal.

I participated briefly in Powderblue's old forum more than a decade ago, and it's heartening to see some familiar names still around all these years later. I doubt there is much left to discuss about the show that has not been said already, but I may drag up some old threads and add my two cents anyway. I was a kid when Hunter was in its initial run, and it's interesting to me now to look back on the show through adult eyes.

Hunter was also the first show for which I wrote fanfiction -- back then it was long-hand, scrawled in the margins of my geography notebook, and shared with only one or two close friends. I had no idea anyone else did this sort of thing, so it has been really fun to see fanfiction 'come out of the closet' over the past two decades. We're practically mainstream now! :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Hello!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:43 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Hi, Hunter peeps! Boy, I wish there had been a message board around for discussing Hunter back when it was on the air. Instead, I tortured my poor friends and family with my endless theorizing and obsession. Major thanks to LM for keeping a community going for a long-defunct show. I like to think of fictional characters as immortal, but the truth is, they need live discussion to achieve that goal.

Hello! Welcome to the forum!

I wish there had been a forum during that time, too. Imagine if there had never been any! The horror! :shock:
I didn't have any friends offline who were really into "Hunter", but at least my mom and brother were fans during the first run of it. I could watch it with them, but we never had any full discussions about it. [sigh]

I'm glad that you and others do appreciate that I'm trying to keep things going. :D Thank you! Yes, we have to keep them "alive" by talking about them. How else would there be newbies to the world of discussing "Hunter", if we didn't? The poor things would be totally lost. :lol:

Quote:
I participated briefly in Powderblue's old forum more than a decade ago, and it's heartening to see some familiar names still around all these years later. I doubt there is much left to discuss about the show that has not been said already, but I may drag up some old threads and add my two cents anyway. I was a kid when Hunter was in its initial run, and it's interesting to me now to look back on the show through adult eyes.

It's funny that you greeted us with the word "peeps", then mentioned Pblue's message board. I say this because, whether you remember or not, there were certain people there who didn't like when I would greet by using "peeps". :lol:
I did not care! It wasn't harming anyone, and as far as I know, the majority didn't mind, so....

Yeah, we've covered so many topics over and over, but there are newbies who have never read them, so it's okay. Besides, some of the topics were sooooo good and need to be repeated. :lol: Bring it on!

Quote:
Hunter was also the first show for which I wrote fanfiction -- back then it was long-hand, scrawled in the margins of my geography notebook, and shared with only one or two close friends. I had no idea anyone else did this sort of thing, so it has been really fun to see fanfiction 'come out of the closet' over the past two decades. We're practically mainstream now!

I recall the days of writing the fanfics out in a notebook. I still have my moments of jotting down notes, but I haven't written a full fanfic in longhand in ages. We were truly dedicated to write in longhand, then type. LOL!

I remember reading fanfiction for the first time on the message board before the one Pblue had on Network54. When I read the first one, I thought it was a lost episode script for the show. I asked on the board and was told it was fanfiction and what that meant. Silly me. :oops: :lol:
My first finished fanfic was a "round robin" that I wrote the ending to and posted to fanfiction.net, "Lovers and Liars". I even gave it its title. :) I thought I was doing something big! :lol:

I just wish that this forum would be as busy as the old board used to be. There are people opening up groups on Facebook, and many are hosted by one person. How many different groups about one show does a person need to host? :|

Once we get Stepfanie to start answering questions here, maybe more people will join and actually post in various parts of the forum while they're here.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:59 am 

Hello and welcome aboard! :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:01 pm 

Welcome to the forum fellow H&M fan!! I am really enjoying your fanfic.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:31 pm 

Location: What kind of question is that? At my computer, silly!
Welcome!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:13 pm 

Thanks for the kind welcome, everyone! :)

LM, it's funny you mention writing long-hand first and then converting to type. I learned to touch-type pretty late for my generation (high school) and that's when it became so much easier to write fiction. I have always tended toward long, involved stories, and finally my hands could almost keep up with my brain. The learning curve was STEEP, though. One of my old fanfics from when I was 14 is posted on Powderblue's message board, so I went and had a look. The typos make me positively cringe now! (not to mention some of the dialogue :oops: )

That's so interesting that you guys did a round-robin fic! I will have to check it out. "Lovers and Liars" is a great title! My stuff is at fanfiction.net as well. I see they removed my XF stories, probably when the "no more naughtiness" decree went into effect. Oops.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:40 am 
Site Admin

Speaking of long, involved stories, I've still been keeping "Fools Rush In" alive. You may recall it from the message board.
It's such an old, old story, and I still haven't written an ending. :oops:
I want to start it from scratch one day and correct the errors in it, but I had requests to post it here as-is until that time.
I've been catching some typos as I post recently, but my word...there is some MAJOR work to be done on that story, and not just with typos. :shock:
:lol:

I'm glad that I've improved with my writing skills, but as they're still not the best, it's funny to see how far I've come and to know how truly bad I was before. LOL!

Thanks for the compliment on the title of the "round robin" :)

Fanfiction.net no longer allows naug-ty (spelled it that way since forum says it's a banned word) :? X-Files fics? Interesting. I have a friend who write's XF fics. I need to ask if hers have been removed.
I wonder how naug-ty is too naug-ty? :?
There has to be some love scenes from M&S.

Have they been saying that the show's owners are asking them to remove the stories? I'm curious since it seems that so much about copyright is showing up in the news, lately. :|

As for the banned words, I don't recall setting some of them, so I need to check into that. I did add a few that could be connected to the adult film industry, so maybe that one got picked up somehow. There used to be an awful amount of spam and vulgar images and text on my previous forum, and I didn't want to go through that, here. Still....it's funny and annoying that some of the tame words aren't allowed.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:55 am 

Oh, LM, you make me smile. Love scenes for Mulder and Scully? Those two have done it in pretty much every possible imaginable situation, position, episode, etc. I am not sure any two fictional characters alive have had as much nookie as they have had. I know I'm personally responsible for at least two dozen times :? .

I think fanfiction.net is supposed to be pretty tame now, so I am quite sure I'm over the line. If they kick me off, I suppose I will find somewhere else. Maybe I will throw the Hunter stuff up on my personal website (which now only has XF). There is a new archive A03 (an Archive of our Own) that allows mature content. It was formed in response to the fanfic.net crackdown last summer. But I don't believe there are any Hunter stories there yet, and I am loath to blaze the trail.

I am impressed that you would consider completely overhauling such a long story. I certainly understand the desire but I'm not sure I could ever summon the necessary energy.

I didn't read much Hunter fic back in the days of Powderblue's message board. A few, but not many. I was around for only a short while before I fell headlong into the XF fandom for around 10 years. That is still my primary stomping ground, although I'm in trouble over there for leaving a long story hanging. I hope one day to get back to it. (I can imagine you relate to this, LM! :))

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:40 pm 

naebells wrote:
Welcome to the forum fellow H&M fan!! I am really enjoying your fanfic.

Syntax.. where is your fanfic posted? FF.net? Or here? I would love to read it!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:52 pm 

Hi, BrassCupcake76! Thanks for your interest in my stories. They are all at fanfiction.net:

Hope you enjoy them. :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:12 pm 
Site Admin

syntax6 wrote:
Oh, LM, you make me smile. Love scenes for Mulder and Scully? Those two have done it in pretty much every possible imaginable situation, position, episode, etc. I am not sure any two fictional characters alive have had as much nookie as they have had. I know I'm personally responsible for at least two dozen times :? .

I think fanfiction.net is supposed to be pretty tame now, so I am quite sure I'm over the line. If they kick me off, I suppose I will find somewhere else. Maybe I will throw the Hunter stuff up on my personal website (which now only has XF). There is a new archive A03 (an Archive of our Own) that allows mature content. It was formed in response to the fanfic.net crackdown last summer. But I don't believe there are any Hunter stories there yet, and I am loath to blaze the trail.

I am impressed that you would consider completely overhauling such a long story. I certainly understand the desire but I'm not sure I could ever summon the necessary energy.

I didn't read much Hunter fic back in the days of Powderblue's message board. A few, but not many. I was around for only a short while before I fell headlong into the XF fandom for around 10 years. That is still my primary stomping ground, although I'm in trouble over there for leaving a long story hanging. I hope one day to get back to it. (I can imagine you relate to this, LM! :))

I think I mentioned in another post that Sully and Michaela (Dr. Quinn: Medicine Woman) got it on most everywhere, too. Maybe not quite like Mulder and Scully, but for a couple in the 1800s, they did their "thang", even hen she had a head injury. LOL!

Thanks for the kind words about my plans to take on Fools Rush In from the start. I both dread and look forward to it. I just hope my nerves can handle it.
:?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:19 pm 

lm_mccall_l57 wrote:
[

I think I mentioned in another post that Sully and Michaela (Dr. Quinn: Medicine Woman) got it on most everywhere, too. Maybe not quite like Mulder and Scully, but for a couple in the 1800s, they did their "thang", even hen she had a head injury. LOL!

Thanks for the kind words about my plans to take on Fools Rush In from the start. I both dread and look forward to it. I just hope my nerves can handle it.
:?

Yes, I did watch some of Dr. Quinn with my college roommate, and it's funny that you would bring this up, because I remember a review (TV Guide, maybe?) of the episode where Sully and Dr. Quinn finally consummate their relationship. The review said, and I quote directly, "The lovemaking does go on and on." Hee!

Poor Mulder and Scully didn't actually get it on where we got to see. It took until the second movie for there to be even a well-lit kiss. But in fanfic, well... let's say they have been very busy indeed. ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:38 pm 
Site Admin

---------

Since Joe and Jane dated in real-life, I think they found it easier to crawl all over each other at times. LOL!

I think with the M&S fanfics, people had to "run with it" because there was so much tension built up, both between the characters and in the minds of the fanfic writers. Things needed to be done and writers made sure they were.

Profile E-mail