It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gillian Anderson on Graham Norton Show
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:45 am 

Over 18's only!

And another clip Graham Norton is so funny!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Gillian Anderson on Graham Norton Show
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:57 pm 

Clare,

That was really funny!

Karen

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:59 am 

Glad you liked it. Graham is one of my favourite TV presenters, he really cracks me up. Oh and I am now confused about Gillian's accent. Does she put on an American one for X-Files? I seem to recall when she did "Bleak House" she had an English accent, but assumed she had just done that for the part. Some people on youtube insist she puts on the American accent for X-Files.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:01 am 

Location: What kind of question is that? At my computer, silly!
I don't know about her accent, but I just have to say....

I wonder, if I grew up in the UK, how I think and American accent would sound. I love the British accent, so I'm just curious. LOL!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:43 am 

And don't forget that like you have in the States, we have regional accents. So you might find some you like better than others.

One of the fans on youtube said that Gillian was born in America, but raised in England until she was 11, then she was back in the states again. I am guessing that she would therefore be able to do either accent at will.

I have a friend who was born and raised in America but has lived over here for some years now. She sounds American to me and my friends, but she says when she goes back home they think she sounds English. Really strange. She also still says a lot of American sayings/names for things but also says some English things (e.g. she says holiday instead of vacation).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:05 pm 

Here's a quote from Gillian's official site which explains the whole accent thing.

Of course, growing up in England and then moving back to the U.S.A. was not a simple thing, as her mother recalls: "The contrast was just incredible. Plus she missed all the friends she had grown up with in London. And her classmates all thought she talked funny because she didn't have an American accent. Gillian had to learn to speak like an American for the first time in her life, just to fit in."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:42 pm 

Quote:
And don't forget that like you have in the States, we have regional accents. So you might find some you like better than others.

Oh, yeah! I hadn't thought of that! I need to travel to Europe! I would love to go to Italy....even though I probably wouldn't understand much b/c of their dialects. LOL! I only know "official" Italian, and a little bit of Sicilian. I think they have different accents throughout Italy, too.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:40 pm 

Well you probably know more Italian than me. I don't know any! I know more French and some Spanish from holidays to some of the balearic islands as well as the canary islands. French I know from school.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:09 pm 

I'd love to learn French. I know a tiny bit, but nothing useful. LOL!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:40 pm 

I find it easier to read it than to listen to it, although we did all different ways at school - listening, reading and writing French. Some of it I found easy, but I'm sure I don't know all of it by any means. I think I'd like to learn more langauges but always thought I'd then get them muddled up with each other!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:20 pm 
Site Admin

Cute.
Has anyone seen the show with the stars of Cagney and Lacey (Sharon Gless & Tyne Daly)? They were in the ladies' room stalls (by way of hidden mics) and making some "not-so-lady-like" sounds. :? The looks and reactions from women outside the stalls.....too funny.
:lol:

clare wrote:
Oh and I am now confused about Gillian's accent. Does she put on an American one for X-Files? Some people on youtube insist she puts on the American accent for X-Files.

Gillian has said on a few talk shows that when she's in the US, she speaks with a bit of both accents, but her family and friends kid her about the British accent and lingo, so she tones it down a lot. When she's in GB and speaks with an American accent, she's teased and has lots of questions about where she's from, and since she was born and partly raised in the UK, why she doesn't speak as such. So, she switches and tones them down, depending on where she is. :|

People would just have to ask me a lot of questions about my accent because I don't think I'd be up to all that switching back and forth. If they understand me, good...if not, they'll still survive and so will I. I know I'd have to use certain words in order for some people to know what I mean, depending on the region, I suppose - Baby Stroller = Pushchair, Lorrie/Lorry= Garbage Truck, Lolly = Sucker/Lollypop, and so on, but I'd hope those over there would be open to learning and accepting my American words and lingo, too.

Many people, here, make fun of Southern accents as well as some Eastern accents more than others. I'm a Southerner, but I don't have what may be called a typical Southern accent. I've never had one, but I also don't sound like someone from up North, either. Not sure of what type of accent I really have. I think it's it blend of various parts of the US. It's keeps people guessing about where I'm from. That's fine with me.
:)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:24 am 

But I can understand how she feels about fitting in too. Sometimes people take the mickey out of me for talking too posh and then other times I berate myself for not speaking properly - i.e not pronouncing a t or an s in a word. You see I started doing that when I felt I was talking too poshly at school. So I can speak properly (which I do most of the time) and even more if I feel like I need to, but can also speak with more of the local accent, but not too Wiltshire-ish like a farmer lol!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:07 am 
Site Admin

I've been accused of speaking with a "proper/Northern" (posh) accent on occasion, but mostly by those Southerners who use incorrect English/slang terms all the time. I've spoken with Barb and 9 over the phone, and they can tell you that I don't have a strong Southern accent, but I don't really have a Northern one, either. I've been told I can pass for someone from nearby California. LOL!

You can tell by my posts that I'm not all about being correct 100% of the time. LOL! I do know when and where to be correct, though.

I can't stand the way the kids are using all these words like dat = that, dis = this, yoo-own-no = you don't know, etc. They get that from a lot of hip/hop and ghetto slang. Not good!

Many expect all people in the South to speak with improper English. We don't all speak that way. I used to get picked on, too, when I was younger because my friends weren't using proper English and I was.

In order to keep from offending any particular person who doesn't speak proper or anywhere near proper English, many of us say that someone talks "country", but I still think some may find it offensive. :| Then again, many are proud to have that long, drawn out, twang of an accent with broken words. It's just not the way I speak. Now, when I want to be silly with my family and friends, I can break it down with some Southern/country/hillbilly/ghetto slang. :lol: Hillbillies have a totally different way of talking. I don't understand a lot of what they say, but that's okay, too.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:08 am 

Some accents are hard to understand, and some slang if you're not familiar with the meanings. I know with strong scottish accents it takes a few seconds for my brain to work out what has been said.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:48 pm 
Site Admin

---------
It used to drive me crazy when I had to correct my former students when they'd destroy simple words and phrases by using slang, or incorrect English. :|

I'd have to hold in a laugh many times because it seemed to take an hour for them to get one sentence out because I'd keep stopping and correcting them. The expressions they'd make cracked me up.
:lol:

Profile E-mail