Featuring Hunter, JAG, Law & Order:SVU, and The X-Files
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "Fools Rush In" - Part 64
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:24 pm 
Site Admin

---------
(Part 64)

Over the next couple of days, Dee Dee and Rick spent as much time as possible on the phone and he informed her of what he could about the trial. Fortunately, everything was running smoothly and he anticipated the jury coming to a fitting conclusion very soon. Dee Dee went about her normal activities with the inclusion of tasks for the big celebrations. The plans for two events in one day had now become a full weekend celebration. Though many of their guests were able to set their schedules to take that third Thursday off for the actual holiday date, and join the couple for a traditional Thanksgiving, Dee Dee felt that it would be too tiring for everyone, herself included, and too much to ask for her family and closest friends to attend the wedding, and then a late evening dinner at her apartment on the same day, though at the wedding reception, there would have been light hors d'Oeuvres.
The new plan would be to have the original small group of family and friends over on Thursday for Thanksgiving, and the wedding would be that Saturday and would include a larger crowd and a slightly altered setup with the caterers to include a little more than the original hors d'Oeuvres.
Getting the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade, and especially the football games Rick would like to watch, would be pretty tough to do. It’s not like she could have the television networks allowing the airings just for them, so her future husband may have to bring video footage of previous Thanksgiving Day games.

_ _ _ _

(Saturday)

Ryan Jacobs met Dee Dee in the library and greeted her with a smile and a hug. “Hey, stranger. It’s good to have you back.”

“Hey, yourself.” Dee Dee smiled. “It’s so good to be back.”

Ryan gently pulled away and took a good look at her as he thought of her recent ordeal with Alex. “I’m sorry about what happened, and I’m so glad you weren’t hurt.” He pulled two chairs away from a table so they could sit. “Are you sure you’re ready to come back today? You don’t need to rush yourself.”

Dee Dee nodded. “I’m okay and I really miss the kids.”

“They’ve been asking about you and will be excited to have you back.”

“I thought about them a lot while I was away.” She glanced around the library as her smile began to grow. “I’m anxious to get back to working with them. It’s a great feeling to know that I’m being of help, you know?”

Ryan smiled and nodded. “Yeah, I know. I also know that you need time to get settled in, so I’ll talk to you later.” Before leaving the table, he took Dee Dee by the hand. “If you ever need to talk about…anything, I’m here.”

“Thanks, Ryan. I appreciate that.”
_ _ _ _

The day went by rather quickly for Dee Dee as she was able to get back into the swing of the things quite easily with the kids. They all greeted her with smiles, hugs and little pieces of art they each made for her. They were so hyper; full of excitement to see her and to talk about so many things, that she was actually a bit worn out by the end of work, but it was mixed with a feeling of love and accomplishement so she didn’t mind. When she finished for the day, she drove to Celise’s home to pick her up for their errands. They shopped for dresses for the wedding and made notes of which stores to return to to review their favorites. While Rick was in London, she was able to get his input on the wedding décor. Though he didn’t know anything about wedding planning, he was genuinely interested in helping to make things as close to perfect as possible. Decreasing the “to do” list, she ordered the flowers, candles and other items for the ceremony, and she and Celise stopped by the chapel to speak with the pastor about the plans. She was very happy with each successful outcome. It was such a relief to have so many things going right for a change.
_ _ _ _ _ _

“Hello?”

“Hi, sweetheart. I’ve got great news.” Rick announced cheerfully.

“You’re on your way back? Please tell me that’s it.” Dee Dee replied hopefully.

“You got it.” Rick answered cheerfully. “They’ve taken my testimony and I’m free to go. I’ll be on a plane day after tomorrow.”

Dee Dee beamed with excitement. “I’m so happy to hear that. How long will you be able to stay?”

“Only four days. But when I come back the next time, it’ll be for the wedding and I can stay longer.”

“Sounds good to me.”

“How are you feeling? Are the babies okay?”

“We’re fine…just missing you.”

“Same here. Did you get some of the things crossed off the list?”

“I did, and though I have more to do, I think everything is going to go well.”

“Good, but don’t overdo it, okay?”

“I won’t.” Dee Dee appreciated his concern, but didn’t want him to worry about her. “They’re such small events that there really isn’t a whole lot to do. We have caterers to prepare the food for the reception, and I can handle the turkey, dressing a few sides and a couple of desserts for the Thanksgiving dinner.”

“I don’t know. Holiday and wedding preparation…sounds like a lot of work.”

“I can manage. I really want to cook something since it’s Thanksgiving. You know how my schedule in LA kept me from putting together any decent holiday gatherings. I want to do this.”

“I understand and it does sound nice.” Rick sighed. “I just don’t want you to be too tired or get stressed out. I worry about you.”

“Yes, I know. But don’t. I’m fine and so are the babies. I won’t jeopardize their health or mine. Besides, Dr. Cameron doesn’t object. And…with all the other stuff that’s happened…” She began slowly. Though we have the wedding and the birth of the twins to look forward to, I could use something like this that’ll bring a little more joy around, you know? To me, it’s like the start of all the great things to come in the following months.”

Rick knew Dee Dee’s mind was set and there was no way he could change it, and he also knew that she did deserve as much joy as possible. “Okay, you win. My mom said she’d like to cook something, too, so….”

“And she’s more than welcome to cook whatever she likes. I’m looking forward to it.”

“Great. I’ll let her know and she’ll call you with her plans.”

The couple spoke for nearly three hours about various topics. After hanging up, they both felt great contentment with hearing each others voices and knowing the other was safe.
Still, Rick felt that as long as Alex is still alive, they may never truly be protected from him.

= = = =

(Continued....)

Profile E-mail