Featuring Hunter, JAG, Law & Order:SVU, and The X-Files
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "Fools Rush In" - part 63
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:53 am 
Site Admin

---------

(Part 63)

Only once during the night did Dee Dee reach over to rest her hand of Rick’s chest, to realize he wasn’t there. Without being fully awake, she inhaled the aroma of his cologne on his shirt and went back to sleep.
By 7am, she was lying awake on her back, staring at the ceiling with thoughts of getting back to work and of Rick’s trip home. With the exception of a few flashes of Alex in her dreams, she slept more peacefully through the night than she expected to. Memories of the dream where disrupted by the twins. “You’re thinking of daddy, too?” She said to her little bundles that moved about inside her belly. “He’ll call us soon.” She spoke to the babies as she tried to reassure herself. By 7:10am, her bladder had taken control of the situation and she had to get up from bed. Feeling that Rick could call at any moment, she quickly brushed her teeth and washed her face, deciding to hold off on the shower for as long as possible in order to catch his call. “Well, girls. Let’s find something to eat while we wait for daddy.” She stretched her arms above her head and then grabbed her robe from the foot of the bed. As soon as she halfway down the hall, the phone rang. Unsure of which phone was closer, she quickly looked toward the bedroom and the living room. She quickly decided on the bedroom and hurried back inside. “Hello? Rick?”

“Hi, sweetheart.”

“Hi.” Dee Dee sighed contentedly. “I’m so glad you called.”

“I’m glad I had a chance to. I’m in New York, but only for a moment. A few more hours and I’ll be home. How are you feeling?”

“I’m good. I miss you.”

“I miss you, too.” Rick sighed. “Thanks for putting the pillow and pictures in my bag. You spoil me, you know?”

“I try.” Dee Dee said with a smile. “I love the letter you left for me, and I appreciate the shirt and cologne, too.”

“You’re welcome. How’d you sleep last night?”

“Other than missing your arms around me, I did okay.” Dee Dee didn’t see any sense in mentioning the brief vision of Alex in her dream. “The girls even slept pretty well, too.”

“Oh, really? Maybe you three don’t miss me after-all.” Rick laughed.

“Of course we do. Don’t ever think that.”

“I know. I was just kidding.” Rick said with a light and loving tone. “Are you still going to work today?”

“Yeah. I’ve taken off enough time, plus I’ll need time off again for the wedding.”

“That’s something to look forward to.” Rick growled “Especially the wedding night, which I'm definitely ready for.”

Dee Dee laughed. “You’re always ready.”

“This is true.”

Dee Dee could hear the various announcements over the intercom in the background. Her stomach tightened at the thought of having to hang up soon. “Have they called your flight, yet?”

“Yeah, they just did.” Rick sighed with a heavy heart. “I should get going. I’ll call you when I get home, okay?”

“Okay. Be safe, and know that I love you.”

“I will and I do know it. I love you, too, Dee Dee. I’ll call you in a few hours.”
---- --- ---

Dee Dee and Celise intended to have their lunch in the park, but the cooler temperature foiled their plan. The fall season was moving in quickly and they would soon have to skip the park for a few months, unless there are unseasonably warm days ahead. Once inside a favorite restaurant, Dee Dee brought up the plans for her upcoming wedding. Celise was happy to listen and offer more help in the planning, but she was concerned with Dee Dee’s emotional state since her very recent kidnapping and now having to be without Rick for an unknown amount of time.

“How are you holding up?” Celise asked during a pause in the planning.

“I’m okay. Why?” Dee Dee replied.

“Well…” Celise wanted to tread lightly. “Considering what you went through with Alex recently…and, well having Rick go back home, I just…”

“Aww, don’t worry. I’m okay.” Dee Dee smiled. “I miss Rick, but he’ll be back. We’re getting married, remember?” She smiled a little broader as she raised her hand to show Celise the reminder on her finger. “And as for Alex…well, he’s no longer a part of my life.”

Celise noted how quickly her smile faded. “You know, Dee Dee. It’s okay if you’re still a little afraid or worried. With all you’ve been through, you have a right to have a few jangled nerves.”

“I…” Dee Dee looked down at her plate and picked at the lemon pie with her fork. “I just want my life to be normal, you know?” She sighed heavily and looked up at Celise. “I want to start a new life with Rick and the babies, and I don’t want to feel like I have to be on guard all the time. When I was a cop, it was business…my profession to be on guard to save others as well as myself and my partner. I’d do anything to protect my babies and my husband, but I don’t want to feel as if I’m not safe in my own home. How can I make my family happy if I’m always worried and wondering? How do I know that Alex won’t ever come after me again?”

Celise shook her head. “I don’t know. But I think you should talk to Rick about how you feel. If I can tell something’s wrong, he definitely can.”

“Right. But he’s just started feeling content enough to know I can accept being married to a cop, and dealing with what may or may not happen to him on duty. I don’t want to add something else to the list of worries. He’s got to concentrate on his work, and I couldn’t live with knowing he got hurt because his focus was on me and not his job.”

Celise nodded understandably. “That does make sense. You’ve just got so much to deal with, but you know I’m here to help you if I can.” She reached across the table and took Dee Dee’s hand in hers.”

“Thank you.” Dee Dee replied. “I really appreciate that you’re such a great friend.”

“I feel the same about you.” Celise said as her eyes misted. “Hey, let’s get back to our dessert before our emotions get the better of us and we cry in our pie.” She laughed.

“I’m for that.” Dee Dee laughed.
- - - -

Later in the evening, Dee Dee sat in the living room and went over a few details for her upcoming wedding and Thanksgiving holiday. She and Celise would go shopping for dresses on Saturday and they would meet with the caterers on Monday. When the phone rang, she jumped as her concentration was broken. “Hello?”

“Hi, honey. I’m home.”

Dee Dee smiled and sighed with relief. “It’ll be nice to hear you say that when we’re in the same house.”

“I’m looking forward to it.”

“Are you very tired from your trip?”

“Umm, tired, but not very.” Rick stifled a yawn. “How are you?”

“I’m good. I was just anxious to hear from you.”

The couple talked for nearly two hours about how they’d cope with being apart, and plans for Thanksgiving and the wedding. Surprisingly enough, it was Dee Dee who found herself slowly trailing off to sleep.

“Dee Dee?”

“Hmm?” She answered softly.

“You’re falling asleep, aren’t you?”

Feeling embarrassed, she hesitantly admitted the truth. “Yeah, but it’s because I feel so relaxed at hearing your voice and I’m relieved to know you’re safe.”

“That’s good to know.” Rick said with a smile in his voice. “Go ahead and get some sleep. We’ll talk more tomorrow.”

“Okay. You get some sleep, too. The girls and I love you.”

“I love you and the girls.”

= = == = =

(Continued....)

Profile E-mail