Featuring Hunter, JAG, Law & Order:SVU, and The X-Files
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fools Rush In - Part 58
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:53 pm 
Site Admin

---------

(Part 58)

As Michael drove, Rick held Dee Dee close to him in the backseat.

With his arm snugly around her, Dee Dee lay her head against Rick’s shoulder. “I’m so glad we’re finally on our way home. I was worried…scared that I wouldn’t see you again...that you wouldn't see our babies.”

Rick’s eyes were teary. He was reminded that he may not have had the opportunity to ever hold her again. “I’m so sorry I couldn’t get to you sooner. I tried to find you. We’d made it to that cottage, but he’d already taken you away.”

Dee Dee raised her head and looked at Rick. “Don’t blame yourself. You did what you could.”

“I should have tried harder.” Rick sighed and looked out the window.

“I think you did your best, Rick.” Dee Dee stroked his cheek with her hand. “We’re going to be okay, now.”

Rick pulled her a little closer and kissed the top of her head, while gently caressing her stomach. “Yeah. We’re okay.” He wasn’t sure if he believed that or not. He knew that that Dee Dee hadn’t fully dealt with her emotional trauma during her marriage to Alex, and now she has to suffer through the memory of the past couple of days. He could only hope he’d be strong enough to get her through it all.
---

Michael had called Celise before they left the hospital, and she was waiting for them inside Dee Dee’s apartment when they arrived. Before Rick could use his key, she’d already opened the door. “Oh, my God! Dee Dee! I’m so glad you’re okay!” She burst into tears and pulled Dee Dee into her arms. “I was absolutely terrified while you were gone. When we saw your car at the lot and there was no sign of you…I…I….” She sobbed even harder.

Dee Dee began to cry as well. “I’m sorry I put you guys through so much.”

“What?” Celise stepped back and looked at Dee Dee. “Don’t you dare apologize. It’s not your fault. You were taken against your will, and Alex is the only one to blame.”

“I wish I could have done something to stop him.” Dee Dee replied.

“You did what you had to do.” Celise took Dee Dee’s hand and led her to the sofa. “I think you were very brave. You knew you had to protect yourself and your babies, so whatever you did was the right thing. Don’t ever doubt that.” She offered a smile through her tears.

“I agree with Celise.” Michael said.

“So, do I.” Rick said, while taking a seat on the other side of Dee Dee. “Alex had a gun drawn on you. You had nothing. What more could you have done?” He squeezed her hand in support. “You kept your cool and you kept yourself and our children safe. You did great, sweetheart.”

“Thank you.” Dee Dee said with a sigh. “But I just felt so helpless. You know, it’s been hard trying to adjust to not carrying a gun all the time. I know it’s the law, but still...” She sighed in frustration. “For a split second, I started to reach into my glove compartment for my weapon. I kept one with me even off duty. If I’d had it….”

“Let’s not worry about that.” Rick interrupted. “You’re home, and you’re safe.”

Dee Dee nodded in agreement. “I’m glad to finally be back with all of you.”

“Me, too.” Celise said with a smile.”Are you all hungry? I’ve made dinner.”

Dee Dee nodded. “My stomach is still a bit upset due to my nerves, but I'll try to eat something. I know I should.”

The foursome settled in at Dee Dee’s dinette table and began their meals. While they ate, they tried to keep the conversation light, but after they finished eating and returned to the living room, Dee Dee explained what went on in the cottage, and then she and Rick both explained what they’d learned from Alex’s doctor. The Grey’s were shocked by the news, and though they didn’t make it known to their friends, neither felt sure if Alex’s condition should be completely accountable for is actions.

Celise shook her head in disbelief. “I’m sure I could never have survived like you, Dee Dee. I’m so proud of you for being such a strong woman.”

“I think you’re pretty amazing, Dee Dee.” Michael stated with a smile.

Rick put his arms around Dee Dee. “I know she’s amazing, Michael. She always has been.”

“Thanks…all of you.” Dee Dee said. “I know that what courage I had, was due to wanting my babies safe and wanting to see all of you again.”

“Well, like I said, you’re amazing.” Michael added. “And I’m quite sure you’re also exhausted. We should let you both get some rest.”

“Michael…” Rick began. “Thanks for everything. I really appreciate you helping me get to her.”

“I’m glad I could help.” Michael bent down as Dee Dee stepped up to kiss his cheek.

After the hugs and handshakes were done, the friends parted for the night. As soon as the door closed, Rick pulled Dee Dee tightly into his arms. “I need to hold you, okay?”

“I need you to hold me. No one else but you.” Dee Dee wrapped her arms tightly around Rick’s waist.

After several minutes passed, Rick realized that he should get her to be more comfortable. “How getting you comfy on the sofa or in bed?” He asked.

She sighed. “Yeah, but I need a shower first. I’ve got to get this grimy feeling off of me.”

Rick kissed her gently on the lips and attempted to lighten the mood. “Interested in water conservation?”

She didn’t want to hurt Rick’s feelings, but she had to tell him the truth. “Not tonight. I just feel…” Biting her bottom lip, she quickly looked away and then back again. “I need to wash away every reminder of…I just…” She wrapped her arms around herself.

“It’s okay. You don’t have to say anymore.” He placed his fingertip under her chin to have her look at him. “I know you need some time to get yourself together, and I was just joking to try and make you smile. Whatever you need…whatever amount of time you need…for anything, you tell me. I’ll make sure you have it.” He smiled softly.

“Thank you.” She said with teary eyes.

“It’s gonna be alright.” Rick kissed her temple. “Come on.” He took her hand and led her down the hall to the bathroom. Go on in and take your shower. I’ll watch TV in the bedroom while you’re in, and then I’ll take mine.”

“No. You go first.” She answered. “I just want to sit and enjoy the babies for a few minutes. I was scared for them, and I’m glad they’re safe. They’re really moving a lot.” She sat on the bed. “Feel.”

Rick smiled at feeling the little kicks and punches from their children. “Hello, my little girls.” He sat as he caressed their mother’s belly. “Daddy loves you. Now, behave yourselves and don’t kick mommy too hard. I’ll be back to play in a few minutes.” He chuckled and kissed Dee Dee on the lips. “I’ll be out in about five minutes.” He added.

Dee Dee nodded and continued to keep her hands on her belly. She felt herself becoming overwhelmed with emotion; from wanting laugh, to scream and to cry from joy and distress all at once. She tried to concentrate more on her children, but the horrific thoughts from the recent events kept making themselves known. She heard the bathroom door open and very soon after, she saw Rick walking into the bedroom with a towel around his waist.

“It’s all yours.” He smiled.

“Thanks.” Dee Dee smiled gratefully and went inside the bathroom. She welcomed the warm pulsating water and the gentle aroma of the raspberry body-wash and exfoliant. She massaged shampoo vigorously through her hair and enjoyed the feeling of cleanliness on her scalp. She’d begun by gently caressing her skin with the soft sponge, but within minutes, she found herself scrubbing roughly and rapidly with the much coarser loofah. The harder she scrubbed, the more agitated she became. Her skin began to redden and sting as the cleansing intensified.

Rick had put on his pajama pants and a t-shirt, and sprawled across the bed to watch TV. He’d been watching for more than thirty-five minutes before he realized how much time had passed. Concerned, he went to the bathroom door and knocked. “Dee Dee? It’s been a while. Are you okay?”

“Yeah, I’ll be out in a minute.” Dee Dee answered with a shaky voice. She began to scrub her tingling skin even harder.

“Do you want me to make you some chamomile tea?”

“Yeah…thanks.” Her voice quivered. At the moment, she’d accept anything to get Rick away from the door. She didn’t want him to her the distress in her voice. Every second that passed seem to drag on and on. She couldn’t wash away the memories of the day. She couldn’t wash away the feeling of Alex’s hands on her. She couldn’t wash away the smell of his cologne. She couldn’t wash away the sounds of his screaming threats at her. She began to wash from head to toe again.

Five minutes later, Rick called to her again. “Dee Dee, your tea is ready. Come on out before it gets cold.”

She didn’t answer.

“Dee Dee?”

Rick didn’t hear the water anymore, so he knew she should have heard him easier than before. “Dee Dee?” He slowly opened the door. To his surprise, he saw her in her bathrobe and sitting on the edge of the bathtub with her head lowered and her face hidden by her hands.

“DeeDee? Sweetheart, what’s wrong?” He knelt down in front of her as panic mounted. “Do you need a doctor?”

Dee Dee shook her head. “No.” She heaved a sigh and wrapped her arms tightly around Rick’s neck. “I can’t stop thinking of Alex. The things he did to me when we were married…his kidnapping me the other night. He could have caused us to lose our babies.” Her body trembled as she sobbed into Rick’s shoulder. “You know he wanted me to when he threatened to push me down those stairs.” Her eyes burned with more tears as she remembered. “He hated me for betraying him and he wanted to get even. He wanted to get revenge against the both of us, Rick. When he kidnapped me, he...he could have…killed me. He could have...killed our...babies. We could have lost them, Rick.”

“I know. I know.” Rick gently stroked the damp waves in her hair. “But you’re safe, now. We’re all safe.”

“But for how long?” Dee Dee raised her head and looked into Rick’s eyes. “We thought we were safe before he took me at gunpoint, didn’t we?”

Rick felt disappointment within himself; that he’d let her down for not protecting her. “I’m sorry. I wish I could have prevented that from happening.”

Dee Dee placed her hand on his cheek. “I’m not blaming you, Rick. Please understand that’s not what I meant. I’m sorry if it sounded that way.”

“I blame myself and I feel that I should.”

“Don’t . This is what I’m so tired of. Alex has caused us so much anguish and we’re feeling the blame for what he did. I just wish I could forget it all.” She sighed heavily.

“It’ll get better with each day.” Rick held her tightly as he tried to console her. “You’ll make it through this, Dee Dee. We’ll make it through.”

When Dee Dee sat up to dry her tears, Rick grabbed a towel and quickly, but gently dried her hair as much as possible. “Come here. You need to relax.” He helped her to her feet and led her by the hand into the bedroom. He helped her get comfortable by putting pillows behind her so she could rest her back against the headboard, and then handed her the cup of tea and began to massage her feet. “If you think talking more about it will help you, I’ll listen.”

Without a second thought, Dee Dee continued to express her feelings. “I couldn’t believe he said he wanted to start over with me...that I should give up the babies to be with him. I’d never see them or you again. Ever.” She heaved a ragged sigh and took a sip of tea. “I was so scared and so angry at him. I wanted him to die, Rick. I wanted Alex to die. When he collapsed from the pain in his head, why didn’t I kill him, then? He was lying on the sofa…asleep from the sedatives. I could have…should have killed him then. I wouldn’t have to worry about him coming after me…after us again. I could have taken a knife and…”

“No, sweetheart. Don’t do this to yourself.” Rick took her cup and placed it on the bedside table. “Come here. Let me hold you.” He pulled her to his body as his eyes watered. He didn’t know the exact pain she felt, but he had an idea of it. “You’re not a cold blooded killer. And you sensed that he must have been mentally ill. He should be grateful to you, that you were there to help him. Maybe he is, but you shouldn’t worry about it.”

“To be honest…” Dee Dee pursed her lips. She wasn’t sure of what Rick would think of what she’d say. “Now that he could die because of that tumor, I don’t know for sure, but maybe deep down I want it to kill him. But at the same time, I think I might feel bad for him. Why should I feel bad for him, though?”

Rick didn’t criticize her feelings. He knew it had to be confusing for her, though he didn’t feel the same compassion she may be feeling for Alex. “It’s your nature to be caring of people. That’s something to be proud of. I know you hate Alex for what he’s done to you…to us, but it’s also okay if you feel bad that he’s sick. It would also be okay if you didn’t feel bad.”

Unsure of how to respond, Dee Dee moved on to her next thought. “I wonder what he wanted to say to me.”

“Do you regret not going to see him?”

“I don’t think so. I guess I’m just a little curious, but not so much that I feel I had hear him out.” Without bothering to change out of her robe and into a nightgown or to blow dry her hair, Dee Dee slid down beneath the covers. “Hold me.”

Rick slid down behind her, pulled the warm and comforting quilt up around them, and put his left over across her belly, allowing his hand to gently caress it.

“Hold me tighter.” Dee Dee said.

Rick obliged without hesitation. He held her and kissed her hair and whispered to her that he loved her and their children. He reminded her that they’d be enjoying happier moments together, and that he would always take care of them all.

As the raindrops fell softly against the window pane, Rick imagined that because of Alex, and other tragic events in her life, Dee Dee must have cried as many tears as there were raindrops. He couldn’t stand to know that she was hurting, and he still wanted Alex to pay for what he’d done. Maybe he was paying with his illness, but at the moment, Rick didn’t feel it was enough.
As he felt the love of his life begin to settle in more comfortably and breathe out a sigh of tension, he hoped that she could get a peaceful night of sleep. It took another half hour before he noticed that she had drifted off to sleep. He was grateful for the calm she’d found, but he himself was agitated as he dreaded the next morning. He didn’t have the heart to remind her that he only had one more day to spend with her before returning to LA.

=== ===

(Continued...)

Profile E-mail