It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fools Rush In - Part 55
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:50 pm 
Site Admin

---------

(Part 55)

(Dee Dee’s apartment)

Rick looked out the window to see the officer still at his post. “That guy’s gonna stay out there all night. How can I get out and look for Dee Dee?”

“I don’t know.” Michael sighed.

“I can’t take it.” Rick rubbed the back of his neck in aggravation. “I’m gonna lose my mind in here.”

There was a knock on the door and Rick rushed to answer it. He opened it to see the officer who’d been keeping watch. “Do you have word on Dee Dee?”

“No.” The officer replied. “I’m here to tell you that I’ll be leaving now. There’s an emergency and all officers in the area are needed.”

“You mean you trust me not to go after Alex?” Rick scoffed.

“As a matter of fact, I received word that he’s left his residence; quite possibly for days. So we don’t feel you’ll pose any threat.”

“You let him leave?!” Rick’s eyes widened with fear. “He could have taken Dee Dee anywhere!”

He’s not suspected of foul play against Ms. McCall, so we can’t hold him.”

With his anger building, Rick knew it’d be wise to step away from the officer before he grabbed him by the throat. “Just let me know if you hear anything of Dee Dee.”

“Right.” The officer turned and made his exit.

Unsure of what to do next, Rick returned to his seat. “Now that I can leave, I don’t know which way to go.”

“Maybe we should try and find out if Alex has any friends.” Michael suggested. “They might know something that would help us.”

“Wait a second.” Michael’s suggestion ignited and idea for Rick. “Do you know anything about Alex’s mistress…the woman who died in the plane crash?”

“I didn’t know her, but I know she owned Monica’s Boutique. Why?”

“I’m wondering if she had a vacation house someplace.”

“It’s quite possible. Many of the well-to-do have cottages they use during their off time.”

“Exactly!” Rick exclaimed. “She probably had some little out-of-the-way place…something in the countryside. If so, Alex has probably spent a lot of time there.”

“And Alex…”

“And Alex could have taken Dee Dee there.” Rick jumped to his feet. “We have to find out if she has one and where it is.”

__ __ __ __ __

Startled by the ringing, Celise snatched the phone’s receiver from its cradle. “Dee Dee?!”

“No, honey. It’s me.” Michael answered calmly. “We haven’t heard anything.”

Celise’s heart sank. “I don’t know how much more I can take. I’m so worried.”

“I know, sweetheart. Listen. Rick and I need your help. Do you happen to know if Monica Fallon had a place outside of town…a vacation cottage, as Rick said?”

“I don’t know. We can try getting in touch with someone at the boutique. I heard that her assistant took over, but I don’t know her name.”

Michael gave Rick the small bit of information, and then he asked his wife to look up the address.

Celise found the listing for the boutique in the phone directory with the hours of operation. She gave the information to Michael, who in turn instructed her to stay on alert in case Dee Dee called while they were on their way to look for her.

Since the boutique opened at 9am, Rick and Michael decided to be there at 8:30am to meet the new owner at the door. When they realized they only had about three hours to spare, they tried to get a quick nap as they anticipated a long day ahead of them. Both men were so keyed up, that Rick dozed off and woke up several times for the remainder of the time, while Michael was able to get only a steady half hour of rest. At 7:45am, they decided to have some coffee and to eat a bite to help boost their energy. They also agreed to take a couple of thermoses of coffee along to keep them alert for their journey.
At 8:34am, Michael and Rick were waiting impatiently in the car outside the boutique and were somewhat relieved to see the owner walk up to unlock the door at 8:36am.

“Excuse me!” Rick bolted from the car, startling the young woman. “Are you the owner of this shop?”

“Yes, I am.” Kaci took a step back from the two men. “Who are you?”

“My name is Rick Hunter. I’m trying to find Alex Turnan. Do you know him?”

“Yes.” Kaci answered, still a bit leery of the stranger and his companion.

“It’s very, very important that I find him as soon as possible. We’ve tried his house, and he’s gone. What we need to know from you is if Monica had a vacation spot…maybe a cottage or something away from town.”

Kaci moved closer to the door of the boutique. “Why are looking for him?”

“I don’t have time to explain. Just tell me what I’d like to know. Please.”

“You’re not the police and I don’t know anything about you.” Kaci replied. “Why should I tell you anything?”

Rick felt his agitation growing with his desperation. “I’m trying to find his ex-wife, who is now my fiancée. She’s missing and I think Alex has her. We’re not getting any help from the police, so we’re doing this on our own. Will you please help me find her?”

Kaci was silent, but did seem interested.

“Please help me.” Rick continued. “Alex abused her when they were married. He threatened her life more than once. She’s pregnant with our babies; Alex knows this, and I’m afraid for their lives. Alex hates me, and I feel he’ll hurt her out of spite for me.”

Rick’s pleading voice and the concern in his eyes were getting to Kaci.
“Come inside. I think I can help.”

Michael quickly followed the two inside.

“I have an address of a little cottage where Monica would spend some of her holidays. She told me that she and Alex spent time there together.” Kaci took and address book from beneath the counter. “This is it.”

Rick’s heart fluttered at the thought of getting closer to finding Dee Dee. “Where exactly is this?” He turned to Michael who looked over the information.

“I’m not sure, but the postal code doesn’t look like any near here. Can you tell us how to get there? How far is it?”

“It’s about a two hour drive from here.” Kaci replied. “I have a map that should help.” She pointed out the general area, and then circled the spot on the map that should get them fairly close to their destination.

Rick shook the woman’s hand. “Thank you, so much….uh…

“Kaci.” She replied.

“I’ll remember you, Kaci.” Rick added. “You have no idea of what hell I’ve been going through, and now, thanks to you, I might be bringing her home…hopefully safe and sound.”

Kaci offered a small but sincere smile. “I wish you the best of luck.”

“Thank you.”

Rick and his friend dashed out the front door. Since Michael knew more about the first few parts of town that would lead to their destination, he drove, and let Rick read the map when he reached unfamiliar areas. They weren’t sure what they’d be getting themselves into, and going into the unknown, reminded Rick how much he missed not having his gun on him.
_ _ _

(Monica’s cottage)

Alex looked to Dee Dee for support.“You’ll help me, won’t you?”

Dee Dee remained silent. It wasn’t in her nature not to help those in need, but when it came to Alex, she wasn’t sure of what to do.

“Dee Dee. I really do need to see a doctor. I can’t…” Suddenly Alex was silenced by the searing pain in his head. For several moments, Dee Dee watched as he moaned and groaned in pain. When he was finally able to speak, he pleaded with his ex-wife. “Please, Dee Dee. I’m begging you.”

A spark of anger came about within Dee Dee. “Why should I help you?! How many times did I beg you to stop hurting me?! How many times did I beg you to let me leave?!”

“I don’t now. A few times, I guess.”

Dee Dee stood, stunned. “A few times?! Are you serious?!”

“Alright, alright! Maybe it was more than that! All I know is that I wasn’t able to control myself. I couldn’t help it.”

“I don’t know if I can believe that.”

“It’s the truth. I swear. Just help me and you’ll find out just exactly what I’ve been going through. Come on, Dee Dee. Do this for me.”
----

Rick and Michael had been driving as quickly as possible to their destination, worrying, hoping and praying along the way.

“If Alex has hurt her, I’ll kill him. I swear it.” Rick said in anger. “I just know he’s got her. Why couldn’t I have seen this coming?”

“Look, Rick. You did what you thought was right. You didn’t know that Alex would take her.”

“I should have known.” Rick said solemnly.

“Even if so, how would you have known when or where?”

Rick knew that Michael made sense, but it didn’t lessen his feeling of guilt. “I love this woman with every fiber of my being. I can’t lose her. I just can’t.” Rick’s stomach twitched at the thought of losing Dee Dee and their children. I wouldn’t want to live.”

“Rick, I know you’re scared to death, but try to be positive. You and Dee Dee have two babies waiting to be born, and….”

“But he could have already hurt all three of them. If so, what am I to do?”

“Let’s just wait until we know something. You’ve both told Celise and me of how you can sense what’s going on with each other…how you get a gut feeling about situations. I say focus on Dee
Dee. Get in tune with her and you’ll know that she’s okay.”

Rick was grateful to have Michael remind him of the telepathy between Dee Dee and himself. He tried to focus on the fact that she could very well be fine, and that he’d reach her in time. - ‘Hang on, sweetheart. I’m coming. I’m bringing you home.’
= == =

(Continue....)

Profile E-mail