Featuring Hunter, JAG, Law & Order:SVU, and The X-Files
It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fools Rush In - Part 51
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:37 pm 
Site Admin

---------
(Part 51)

Rick, Celise and Michael stood beneath the store’s awning, out of the rain.

“Guys, I just thought of something.” Celise turned to Rick and Michael. “What if it’s one of those men from work?”

“What do you mean?” Rick asked.

“She told me that a few guys had been flirting with her, and a couple of them were really relentless and didn’t care if she was pregnant or engaged. One of them said he could even take her away from you, Rick, but she said she wasn’t worried. She said it was only talk, but I told her it could be more than that.”

“How long has this being going on?” Rick’s eyes widened. “She never said anything to me. Why?”

“It’s been going on for a few weeks, and I wanted her to tell you. She said she would if things got out of hand. I told her not to wait. I hope one of them didn’t take her.”

Rick cringed at the thought. “Do you know any of them? Can you give the police anything to go on?”

“No, not really. She described a couple of them, but if they’re actual clients, maybe they can be tracked down.”

Rick nodded as he clinched his jaw. “Okay. We’ll tell the police, but when I find out which one he is, he’ll wish to God that I hadn’t.”

When the police arrived, they questioned the three, as well as employees in the store, but didn’t seem too concerned with Dee Dee’s disappearance. “We’ve taken down your information and we’ll look further into questioning these men if she doesn’t return, soon.”

Rick moved closer to the officers. “Are you telling me that you’ll do nothing to find her?” He asked angrily.

“We’ll pass the word along, but she’s an adult. We can’t speculate anything is wrong right now. Perhaps she went for a walk.” Neely added casually.

“A walk?!” Rick shouted. “My pregnant fiancée abandoned her car and is taking a walk in the rain, in the dark, alone?! That’s bull****, and you know it!”

“Maybe she was upset about something.” Officer Cole chimed in. “Did you two have a disagreement which may have caused her to take some time for herself? Maybe she just wants to put a little fear into you and decided to go to a friend’s house or to a hotel.”

Rick gritted his teeth as he struggled to keep from punching Cole. “We didn’t have a disagreement! She wouldn’t go anyplace but home without telling me, unless something was wrong and she couldn’t contact me! Will you please just do something useful?!”

Officer Neely stepped in. “Sir, we’ve handle this sort of thing before. This is our line of work, you know?”

“I suggest you find another line of work because you sure as hell don’t know what you’re doing in this one!” Rick glared at the officers and walked away. He crossed his arms and leaned against the cold brick building.

Neely moved to question Celise. “Mrs. Grey? What happened the last time you saw Ms. McCall?”

“We work in the same building and we have lunch together every day and did so today. She was so happy, so excited to talk about her engagement and the wedding plans. We returned to work, and when our workday was over, she said she’d come to this store for some items before going home. She was supposed to call me when she got home, but Rick called me to ask about her. You’ve got to look for her. Bring her home.” She fell into Michael’s embrace and let her tears flow as the officers moved back to look at Dee Dee’s car.

Rick bolted from the building and ran back to the Grey’s and the officers. “It’s Alex! He’s got her!” He shouted. It’s got to be him! Damn it! Why didn’t I think of him first?!”
Surprised for just a moment, Michael and Celise were now thinking the the same as he was.

“Who is Alex?” Officer Cole asked.

“He’s her ex-husband. Alexander Turnan. He physically abused her almost every day while they were married. He threatened her life several times. It’s got to be him.” Rick started toward Michael’s car. “Let me have your keys. I’m going to his house.”

“We’ll both go.” Michael replied.

Officer Neely stepped up to Rick. “Mr. Hunter, you can’t go to a man’s home and accuse him of kidnapping.”

“Try and stop me.” Rick retorted through clinched teeth.

“We can stop you and then put you under arrest. Is that what you want?”

Celise stepped closer to Michael and Rick. “Don’t do it, Rick. You can’t help Dee Dee if you’re locked up. You need to be around when she…” Celise, though fearful, tried to be optimistic. “When she comes home. She’s got to come home.”

The two men listened to Celise’s reasoning. Rick was more reluctant to agree, but found the will to do so. He looked toward the officers. “Will you go over and talk to him?”

“Yes. We’ll question him.” Neely replied. “You all go back home. She might be trying to reach you by telephone or she could already be at home.”

The trio quickly headed to Michael’s car. As they drove away, Rick watched Dee Dee’s abandoned car fade into the fog and pouring rain. He felt one-hundred percent sure that Alex had taken her, and he began to imagine how afraid she must have been. He whispered a prayer. “Please, God…don’t let him hurt her.”
----

Twenty minutes after dropping Rick off at Dee Dee’s place, Michael and Celise were in their own living room.

“I wonder how Rick is doing.” Celise said. “He’s all alone, waiting and worrying. Should we call him?”

“No. He’ll think it’s Dee Dee.”

“Right. I wasn’t thinking. You should have stayed there with him. Go and be with him.”

“Maybe I should.” Michael would worry about his wife, but knew she was right. “Are you sure you can manage being alone?”

“Yes, I’ll be okay. Just go to Rick. I’m still worried that he may find Alex and do something he’ll regret.” Celise kissed her husband’s cheek. “Drive carefully. It’s really pouring.”

Michael left right away and arrived at Dee Dee’s place shortly after. He rang the bell and knocked on the door several times and got no answer. He and Celise each had a key to Dee Dee’s apartment, so he used his to enter. Without disturbing anything, he searched the rooms for Rick. He shook his head. “He’s gone after Alex.”

When the doorbell at the Turnan home rang, Alex took a look through the peephole and saw Rick. When Rick rang the bell again, pounded on the door and yelled out Alex’s name simultaneously, Alex quickly opened the door to keep the neighbors from getting too curious.

“Where is she?!” Rick rushed inside, causing Alex to quickly step backward and out of his way. “Where is Dee Dee?! Tell me, now!”

“I don’t know.”

“You’re lying! Damn it, Alex! Just tell me where she is!” Rick grabbed him by his shirt collar. “Tell me or I’ll beat it out of you!”

“Rick, I swear I don’t know where Dee Dee is. Is she missing?”

“I can’t believe you just asked me that!” Rick snapped furiously. “I don’t have time for games, you *******! Where is she?!”

“I’ll be honest with you. I saw you two, downtown a couple of days ago. You walked across in front of my car while I was parked. You went to a parking lot and then I drove off. That’s the last time I saw her.”

“You expect me to believe that you don’t have anything to do with her disappearance?! You’ve been stalking her, haven’t you?!”

“That’s not true!” Alex said in defense. “I just happened to be on the same street as you were!”

Rick turned and shoved Alex. “When she was with you, you tortured her every day! You thought she’d never leave you, but she did and you hate her for it and you’re hurting her again!”

“If I treated her badly when we were married, I honestly didn’t know what I was doing or why I did it.”

“Spare me the bull****!” Rick huffed. “Just tell me where she is!” He snatched Alex by the collar again.

“I don’t know!” Alex shouted.

Rick balked at the comment. “You’re a liar!” With that, he landed a blow on Alex’s chin. “Tell me!” Rick hit him a second time and sent him off balance.

Alex regained stability and verbally defended himself. “I’m not lying, Rick! I have no idea of where she is! I swear I don’t!”

“Mr. Hunter!” A voice halted the third punch to Alex’s face.

Rick turned to see Neely and Cole standing behind him.

“Let go of him, now!” Neely demanded.

Rick hesitated and the officer demanded again, along with a threat to arrest him. Rick let go of Alex and stepped back.

“Are you alright, sir?” The officer asked Alex.

Alex nodded. “I’ll be fine.”

“We could arrest him if you want to press charges.” Neely said.

“No…thanks. Just get him out of my house and make sure that he doesn’t come back.”

Michael Grey had just stepped inside Alex’s home. “What’s going on, here? Rick, are you okay?”

Neely recognized Michael from the store’s lot. “Nevermind, Mr. Grey. We have everything under control. Just keep an eye on your friend.” He motioned for Rick to exit the home, and then told him not to return.

“Wait.” Alex said. “I’d like to say something to Mr. Hunter.” He moved close to Rick and lowered his voice to be heard only by Rick. “I may not know where she is, but when I had her, she was all mine. You lost her to me at one time, and now it looks like you’ve just…lost her. Possibly for good.” Alex smirked proudly and then stepped behind the officers.

“You son-of-a-*****!” Rick lunged at him. “You took her! I swear that I’ll kill you if you hurt her!”

Michael had been prepared and quickly grabbed his friend by the waist. “Rick! Hold on! He’s not worth it! He wants you to hit him again so he can have you arrested! Stay focused! You’ve got to find Dee Dee!”

He knew that Michael was right, and began to settle down. “You’re a coward Alex. You talk **** and then hide behind the cops. Just know this; you haven’t heard the last of me.” He looked at the officers. “You two can take that however the hell you want to take it. Take it as a f-cking threat to him. I don’t care. If I find out he’s guilty, his *** is mine.” With that, he walked out of the house with Michael close behind. “I hate that *******.”

“You’re not alone.” Michael replied.

Rick turned to Michael with hope. “Did you find something? Is that why you showed up?”

“No. Celise wanted me to check on you at Dee Dee’s because she had a feeling you’d go after Alex. She couldn’t stand the thought of you being arrested when Dee Dee needs you.”

“What the hell do I do, now?”

“We go back to her place and gather our thoughts. We’ll come up with something.”
---

“How did you know Hunter was here?” Alex asked the officers.

“We didn’t.” Cole answered. “We came here to talk to you. May we sit?”

“Sure.”

“You are Alexander Turnan, correct?” Cole asked.

“Yes.”

“When was the last time you saw or heard from your ex-wife, Ms. D’Andrea McCall?”

“I saw her a few days ago, but I didn’t have any contact with her. She was walking downtown with Rick. Is she really missing?”

“Her abandoned vehicle was found in an empty lot at a local store.” Neely answered. “Now if you would, please tell us anything that might be of help. Do you know of where she could have gone?”

“I don’t know if she’s living with Celise and Michael Grey or not, but they’re the friends that came with her to pick up her things a few weeks ago.”

“We’ve spoken to them. Is there anything else?”

Alex told the officers about Dee Dee working at the community center, and that she and Ryan Jacobs had become good friends. “Do you suspect foul play?” He asked.

“Not as of yet.” Cole replied.

“That’s good. I do hope she’s alright.”

Neely pressed on. “Seeing as how Ms. McCall did file a report of abuse against you, we have a warrant to search your home.”
“Fine. I don’t have anything to hide.”

The officers searched the entire home and found nothing to prove that Dee Dee could be there. Once they finished, they returned to Alex and thanked him for his cooperation.

After the officers left, Alex sat on the living room sofa and put his head in his hands and questioned aloud - “Why, Dee Dee? Why did it turn out this way?”
----

As Rick and Michael drove along the street, they searched for any sign of Dee Dee. They found none.

“I know Alex is responsible.” Rick sighed. “If those cops hadn’t come in, I might have found out where she is.”

“So, now what? Whatever you want to do, you can count me in.”

“I don’t know. I need to get my head together, first.”

When they pulled up in front of Dee Dee’s apartment building, a police car was parked there.

Rick jumped out of the car before it was completely stopped. “Have you found her?”

“No. Mr. Hunter, I’m here to make sure that you don’t return to Dr. Turnan’s residence. He’s put a restraining order against you. If you break it, you’ll be arrested.”

“What?! Oh, you’re kidding me!” Rick threw his hands up. “This is ridiculous! He’s the one that should be arrested! He’s kidnapped Dee Dee!”

Michael leaned against his car. “Have you heard any update on Dee Dee at all?”

“No, I haven’t.”The officer replied. “And like I said, I’m here to keep an eye on Mr. Hunter. It seems he has issues with Dr. Turnan. Maybe he needs help containing his anger.”

Michael took note of the officer’s attitude. “Yeah. Right. Why don’t you just let me worry about my friend? He’ll be fine.”

“I have my orders.” The officer replied.

“Let’s go inside, Michael.” Rick said. “I’ve had enough of this guy.”

Rick saw that the light on Dee Dee’s answering machine was burning steady, indicating there were no new messages, but he pressed the play button anyway. Nothing.

He and Michael sat and talked about the various possibilities of getting the truth from Alex, and how they’d both like to handle him.
“This is nothing like back home.” Rick sighed. “I could get help from the force. They’d help even if she wasn’t on the force anymore. I just feel so helpless…so lost.” He slumped down onto the sofa. “I feel like I’m an outsider over here. I can’t carry a weapon, I don’t have police officers to help me; it’s like they’re not taking this seriously. Hell, Dee Dee couldn’t even carry a weapon to protect herself.”

Michael nodded. “I know it must be rough to have to abide by a law that prohibits carrying a gun, especially when you’re so used to always having one.”

“We’ve got to come up with something. I’m so afraid for her. She told me that she felt that Alex could actually kill her, and I believe that. I hope to God that he hasn’t killed her.”

== ==

(Continued....)

Profile E-mail