It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Castle interview with Nathan Fillion & Stana Katic
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:48 pm 

Location: What kind of question is that? At my computer, silly!
Quote:
Season 5 preview: Nathan Fillion on the 'honeymoon' phase

“Something I see in the very first episode — the very first scene we shot — there’s a playfulness that’s come back to Castle,” Nathan Fillion says, reflecting on the start of tonight’s fifth season.
And after a fourth season that had more than it’s fair share of trials for the beloved characters on the ABC hit — Beckett with her post-shooting PTSD and Castle with mounting frustrations toward his partner and friend — it’s time to give the characters and fans a chance to see this pair enjoying some happier times. Luckily, the end of season 4 set up exactly that, by finally putting Castle and Beckett in a romantic relationship together.
So what awaits fans? For that, EW turned to star Nathan Fillion.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: In the past, you’ve had some doubts about getting Castle and Beckett together. Has that changed?
NATHAN FILLION: Yes, I have never been a proponent of these two getting together because I’ve always seen it as an ending. But two things: First, I think our writers have always been good at designing circumstances that keep them a part realistically. They’re never on the same page at the same time. It’s always in a reality-based way. However, I’m finding now that seeing [them getting together] as an ending has been a folly on my part. This has actually — the way the writers are treating it now — they’re treating it as if the first four seasons have been a protracted beginning. Now we can finally start the show. So it’s all been a very long, protracted beginning and now we can start the show.

Tell me about Castle’s reaction to hooking up with Beckett.
You know, Castle’s the kind of guy who always got what he wanted. He got success early on as a young man starting to write, success started coming easy to him. He’s been very successful throughout his life. He’s made a lot of money, and when he wants something, he gets it. And Beckett has been one of those things that he has not been able to get. She was hard to get. He really, really had to work at that. And now that he’s got her, he’s happy. He’s quite happy. He enjoyed the chase, but he’s happy now.
Does Beckett return that feeling or have hesitations?

You know what? The way it panned out, I had wondered if she would still have difficulty with being emotionally unavailable when we came back for season 5. That’s always been her thing. She’s never been emotionally available and when she was, it was the wrong time. At the end of season 4, she had an epiphany. She finally hit a wall and something had to happen. Now that wall has come down, and she’s really in it. She’s now open. It’s nice to see that her character has made that stride.

Speaking of Alexis — does she know?
I don’t want to spoil it. We’re going to find out in the first episode how they’re going to deal with that.

Well, we know it has to stay a secret at work because of rules about dating co-workers — and partners, for that matter.
It’s their preference to keep it secret from everyone for the very first bit at least. It’s going to be precious to them and them only. They’re the only ones on the inside and no one is going to know in the beginning. It’s a little bit sacred. They can enjoy on their own without anyone’s opinion about it.

Read the full article at Entertainment Weekly

Edit to add an interview with Stana Katic's thoughts:

Quote:
I caught up with Katic to talk about this new phase in Castle and Beckett's relationship, how much lip-locking we'll actually see, uninterrupted, and how long they can keep their relationship a secret from the rest of the precinct. She also talked about Beckett's new attitude when it comes to finding justice for her mom's murder, and how this season will have a lighter, more fun and, yes, even "n-a-u-g-h-t-y" tone to it. Keep reading for more ...

Last season’s finale made fans, myself included, so happy. Having played one half of these duo for so many years now, how did you feel about the hookup finally happening?
Oh I’m very happy, of course. I think that we couldn’t stretch it any further -- it happened at the right time. We have been on this journey with these two characters for four years, and they have been through every sort of danger and life-harrowing experience, and I think that it needed to happen. They had a rough year last year, of course … they were both keeping secrets from each other, thinking that it was in the best interest of the other person. It was great to see the evolution of the characters culminate in the two of them finally admitting their feelings for one another.

Because as much as we’ve seen their feelings for each other, as viewers, watching them keep those secrets to protect the other person really proved that this is real love. We know they love each other, but it feels more like love now.
Yeah, you’re right. Andrew [Marlowe, the creator] did a great job of earning it, earning this relationship now. I think after everything that the writers built, we can justify exploring it for a while, which is exciting for me as an actor -- it’s a different phase in the show.

PS - I had to put hyphens in n-a-u-g-h-t-y because the board's spam control blocked it. So, that's why it looks like that!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Castle interview with Nathan Fillion & Stana Katic
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:56 pm 
Site Admin

I haven't watched Castle in at least two years.

I saw the listing for the new season, tonight.

HATBC, are you excited to see them as a couple?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:59 pm 

Yes, very!

I hit a rough patch with Castle around season 2, but last year I got back into it and it really captured my attention! Can't wait for tonight! One more minute!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:19 pm 
Site Admin

I hope you enjoy it.

I caught the first 2-3 minutes and was surprised at how much Beckett looked like Olivia Benson when she walked into the bedroom with coffee for Castle and herself. Weird.
:lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:31 pm 

We may have talked about this a long time ago, but I've noticed similarities between Benson and Beckett.

Also, their hairstyles progressed the same way too! :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:40 pm 

i just read this, although I don't watch this show...but maybe I should! ;). I can definitely see the similarities between these 2 and Hunter and McCall. Too bad that FD and SK were not really on board with their characters getting together though. *sigh*. I think we had all "earned it" too for the amount of years we had invested in them and of course falling in love with them and wanting it to happen so badly. Instead they just toyed with us. I'll admit it kept us interested, but getting the ending we wanted in "season 8" would have been the right thing for the show to do for the fans! Ahhh....I digress..... :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:43 am 
Site Admin

HATBC wrote:
We may have talked about this a long time ago, but I've noticed similarities between Benson and Beckett.

Also, their hairstyles progressed the same way too! :lol:

Yep, we did discuss the similarities. :)

I agree about the hair. Beckett's was really pretty last night. I wonder how long before she gets it cut shorter, again? I like the long and lighter look.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:48 am 
Site Admin

BrassCupcake76 wrote:
i just read this, although I don't watch this show...but maybe I should! ;). I can definitely see the similarities between these 2 and Hunter and McCall. Too bad that FD and SK were not really on board with their characters getting together though. *sigh*. I think we had all "earned it" too for the amount of years we had invested in them and of course falling in love with them and wanting it to happen so badly. Instead they just toyed with us. I'll admit it kept us interested, but getting the ending we wanted in "season 8" would have been the right thing for the show to do for the fans! Ahhh....I digress..... :lol:

Though I haven't watched it in a couple of years, the time I spent watching, was pretty good. They have good chemistry and I liked how they cracked jokes on each other. Beckett seemed to get one over on Castle more often, and the way she'd look at him....funny. :lol: I wish SJC were still alive and well. He made a couple of appearances on the show, and I would like to have seem him on it, again. I recall tuning in just to see him, once or twice, when I'd stopped watching the show on a regular basis.

As HATBC and I have agreed before, JAG is another show that is soooo much like Hunter. The characters do end up together, though.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:09 am 

lm_mccall_l57 wrote:
BrassCupcake76 wrote:

Though I haven't watched it in a couple of years, the time I spent watching, was pretty good. They have good chemistry and I liked how they cracked jokes on each other. Beckett seemed to get one over on Castle more often, and the way she'd look at him....funny. :lol: I wish SJC were still alive and well. He made a couple of appearances on the show, and I would like to have seem him on it, again. I recall tuning in just to see him, once or twice, when I'd stopped watching the show on a regular basis.

As HATBC and I have agreed before, JAG is another show that is soooo much like Hunter. The characters do end up together, though.

What I loved about this was: Stana was a shipper from the start...and Nathan was not. He also said it would be like "Moonlighting", but now, as the show grew, he changed his mind. And, I think that an actor should be on board with their characters and the writing.

I love how he said the first four seasons were a "pre-beginning". It's a good way to describe it. It also could have been applied to H&M in S8! You know?

I still can't believe SJC is gone. :cry: So sad. He was great on Castle. I don't think Castle played much p-o-k-e-r since then either...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:41 pm 
Site Admin

It could or couldn't have gone the way of "Moonlighting", as it does depend on the writers, and the storylines they put out.
I think it's great that Nathan didn't feel so strongly against it that he would have walked away. The story is based on named after his character, but still...it's been done before. He could have told them he wouldn't budge toward another episode until they did what he wanted, but he didn't do that. Good for him! :)

I've said it many times, and I'll say it again, if the writers had done a well enough job, they could have had McCall and Hunter as a couple and not have messed up the show. They didn't have to make it full of their lives on the romantic side, you know?
If they had decided to hide their marriage from others, that may have worked in favor of the show, too....giving both shippers what they want, but still keeping it from going too far off the map.

Quote:
I love how he said the first four seasons were a "pre-beginning". It's a good way to describe it. It also could have been applied to H&M in S8! You know?

Yes, I know and agree. :)

As for the p-o-k-e-r (need to fix the forum for that word, too) games with SJC, I wonder if that was just "his thing" and they didn't want to go back there w/o him. Maybe it was a bit of a dedication/rememberance just for him.
:cry:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:43 pm 

lm_mccall_l57 wrote:

I've said it many times, and I'll say it again, if the writers had done a well enough job, they could have had McCall and Hunter as a couple and not have messed up the show. They didn't have to make it full of their lives on the romantic side, you know?
If they had decided to hide their marriage from others, that may have worked in favor of the show, too....giving both shippers what they want, but still keeping it from going too far off the map.

I'm right there with you! I totally think the writers could have made it work and we all would have gotten what we wanted. :) I think having Hunter & McCall hide the relationship would have been the most 'entertaining' thing they could have done. It would have been fun to see them sneak around and carry on as they always did by day, but then have those little glimpses into their off-duty time and relationship together, and it still would have kept with the integrity of the show. I think that would have been ideal! :beer2:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:00 pm 

That would have been ideal for us shippers nothing over the top but a few scenes here and there to let us know that there were more going on than just work, if it had been very tastefully it would not have hurt the show at all. Couldn't you imagine Capt. DeVane trying to figure out if it more between them than just work? I kind of get the feeling that he would have been happy for them and kept their secret.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:04 pm 
Site Admin

In reply to BrassCupcake76 and naebells - -

I aim to please, so I should have been head-writer of the show. :lol:

I have always felt that they could have shown them at home at the end of some of the episodes. They could have just gotten home from work, talked a bit about their day and what their dinner plans were (McCall hopefully would have learned to cook) :lol: , and then give us a moment to see them share a kiss before bed. I'd have loved to see them be even more playful then they were while at work. They joked a lot, gave slight little punches or pinches, etc., and if married and at home, they could have done a little bit more of that and we'd have known what it was leading up to. ;)

I agree that it would have been nice to have Charlie in on the secret. :)
I would like for him not to have known for a while, though, but I don't think that would have worked out, considering they probably would have had to end their partnership once IA found out, and wouldn't allow a husband and wife to work as partners. :|

If they could be married and partners at work.....sheer icing on the cake! :D
That's how it'll be in fanfics! :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:21 am 

---------
Love it! I agree! I would have loved to see them sneaking around and not having Charlie know for a little while... but then have him find out but he "looks the other way" and plays dumb because he doesn't want to split up his best team. It would have been so nice to see "both sides" of their life by day and their life by night! God they would have been cute together!!! :kissingcouple2:

Yes, LM! You should have been head writer for the show! :clap:

Maybe we should write a reunion episode/movie and beg SK and FD to do it!!!!! :) :) Ahhh... to dream! ;)

Profile E-mail