It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anyone seeing a page "View your submitted message?"
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:38 pm 
Site Admin

For the past two days, each time I add a post, I get a new page that's white and has "View your submitted message" or "Return to previous post" (or something like that). I have to click on either of those links to get back to the forum.

I don't know if it's something on my end like needing to clear the cache, or if it's something with the fourm.

Anyone? I need to know in order to make a report to the admins forum.

Thanks.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Anyone seeing a page "View your submitted message?"
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:32 am 

Yeah...I have the exact same screen too! :? I've been wondering about it, and was going to ask but forgot. Don't know why it started doing that...just started earlier this week.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:33 am 
Site Admin

Alright, thanks.

I'll check into it when I get a chance. Hopefully sometime tomorrow....actually later today.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:40 am 

Cool...let me know what you find out. I just got on and it's still doing it. :?:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:23 pm 
Site Admin

I posted a question last night and got a reply this morning.

They're trying to upgrade the server, but didn't give any idea of how long it may take. Fingers crossed that it won't last much longer. I'll give it a few days and if nothing changes, I'll ask them again.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:16 pm 

Will upgrading the server "mess" with this website at all...or will it return to "normal" once the upgrade is done?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:45 pm 
Site Admin

They didn't go into details, but I imagine it's to improve it. In the meantime, the forum may be a little slower when it comes to pages opening. That usually happens during an upgrade. :|

A few weeks ago, the forum was running very slowly and other moderators posted the same about theirs. We were told that it was due to a glitch during an upgrade at that time.
This one and the one before are the only two that I've noticed to cause issues in a few years. We've had several over the past few years and I doubt that anyone else noticed. I get email updates for some, or I have to check in at the moderators forum to see what's up. It's just very rare that I mention anything about them unless I know there will be something going on to disturb posting.
I don't know if you noticed, but about two weeks ago, the forum was actually closed for four hours during maintenence . All of the forums under this company were closed. No one posted about not being able to get in after those hours, so I figured no one had visited during that time, and by the time I was able to post about it, I didn't see any point as it was up and going.
:)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:31 pm 

Actually I did notice not being able to access the forum when you said...I've had that happen in the past, as well as noticing sometimes it runs very slowly, so I figured something was being done or changed. I just learned to wait a day or so and usually I could get back on.

I just got on and nocticed that I no longer saw that weird white page when logging on...it was normal again! :D Hopefully the upgrade is done.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:22 am 
Site Admin

Okay. I had wondered.

Yes, the pages are back to normal, now. Yaay! :D

That white page was so annoying, but I'll take it over nothing as long as we can use the forum. :)

The upgrades and errors can be quite annoying at times, but at least it's nothing like what went on at the previous forum by another company. They rarely did updates/maintenence, plus messages that had no replies....weren't active, were deleted after a couple of years at first, then it became after a few months. We lost hundreds of messages.
:x

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:44 pm 

That's crazy...why would they delete anything? I'm glad the forum is no longer with that company! :shock: Also glad the upgrade is done and everything seems back to normal. :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:29 pm 
Site Admin

I don't know. We were all just so surprised, angry and hurt. It was a forum by a different company than this one. Besides the deleting of our posts, that forum was full of spam that got past the me and the other moderators, it was set so people had to sign up and I'd get notice to activate their account, but many times people/spammers were able to log in w/o my approval. It was awful.

It started off pretty good, but I think they messed things up like that because they changed to where you could have a free forum or one you pay for, and I think they were trying to force us into paying. It wasn't going to happen for me, so told everyone that if they wanted me to keep it going, to let me know and I'd find a new place for us, but if they had no interest, I'd shut it all down and forget about it. Though this isn't nearly as busy as the other one (people lost interest after a while), at least we have a much better place.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:38 am 

Well, I'm definitely glad you started this one here! I can honestly tell you that this is the most friendly TV show fansite I'm a member of. :) The "Miami Vice" and "Magnum" ones I'm also a member on also are pretty good. The "MV" one is awesome but it's so expansive you can get "lost" pretty quick! :? You just have to start somewhere and go from there. This site, though, is very easy to navigate and everyone seems very nice and fun to converse with. :mrgreen:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:36 am 
Site Admin

Thank you. I try to make it as nice as possible, even if it's not as active as it could be. I'm glad that you feel so welcomed, too. :)

One of our other forum members wasn't treated so nicely at another fan forum, too.
I had a few moments of dealing with some rude people at a previous "Hunter" group which helped me to decide on opening my own. It was actually a message board and not a forum, so it couldn't be organized like this one, but I had a lot of fun there, for the most part. That was before one of the members and her followers started a lot of drama and ruined it for a lot of us.

It must be a bit of chore to find your way around at that "Miami Vice" forum.
:|

I wish you had been around when I first opened the forum as you'd have many more people to discuss topics with. Maybe things will pick up again at some point. Maybe even our other male member will show up again.

Thanks again for the kind words and support.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:18 am 

Your welcome! Yeah, I remember you telling me about some of the "junk" you had happen to you on an old "Hunter" message board...and I rememer telling you about some crazy crap that happened to me on another show fansite. There's "whackos" everywhere, but it's up to the site's administrators and/or owners to put a stop to them...or not. ;) I'm just glad this "Hunter" (and some other shows you have here) site exists!

Don't get me wrong about the "Miami Vice" fansite though (miamiviceonline.com)--it's awesome and you can pretty much find anything you want to about the show! There's just so much there that at first it can appear overwhelming...but it's really not. The administrators and ones in charge are really nice and easy to get along with too. But, if you start "stuff" and cause problems they will not hesitate to ban you (after a few warnings)...I've seen it happen. ;)

I just wish that more members here would participate more often...have discussions on episodes, characters, storylines, etc...that would be awesome! :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:51 am 
Site Admin

---------
Thanks. :)

Yes, it really is up to the admins to take control. I have no problem banning someone, and so far I've only had to do it once. I think some admins actually leave the forums hanging and don't care anymore, or they're just afraid to speak up. I'll speak up! LOL!

As for the Miami Vice forum, I think it's cool that it has so much information and that the admins seem to be good people. I'll take a peek when I can.

Here's hoping that the new year will bring new members with something good to bring to the table of discussion. LOL!

Profile E-mail