It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:04 am 

People tell me I'm not nuts. I am having an issue with my mother in law who has a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, which they refuse to train and is out of control. They cannot understand why I don't want Holly there in the house. I'm not stopping them from seeing her - they can take her out - to the park or come and see her at our house. They don't seem to get why I have a problem. The dog got out once and went crazy jumping up at me trying to bite me and I was scared! They had no control over the dog, it wouldn't listen to them. Holly herself is scared because one of her socks was bitten up so badly by the dog that it was ruined. She also started having nightmares about it all. So when that happened (maybe 6 weeks ago) I put my foot down and said they couldn't have her over any more.

Last night I got a call saying "Have you still got a problem with this?" Well nothing has changed, they haven't trained her at all and apparantly I am ruining their lives. It makes me so mad that they're putting their dog before their grandaughter! Everyone I have spoken to about this thinks I am doing the right thing.

I got a text just now saying "I wish you would get over it." She still can't see what the problem is because they say they shut the dog away in the kitchen,. but she escapes very easily when someone goes in or out of the kitchen. I feel like saying some very bad swear words at the moment....

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:59 pm 

Location: What kind of question is that? At my computer, silly!
Okay, for what it's worth, here are my two cents.

I personally, think you ARE doing the right thing. You are Holly's mother and what you say goes, especially considering Holly is afraid -- and since she is so young, if she is 'forced' to see this dog all the time, she might be terrified of dogs/puppies years later.

I can't understand why the in-laws don't get why you're upset. The dog sounds like a terror and I would keep my children away from it. Plus, it's not like you're forbidding them from seeing Holly. They still have their chances.

When my cousins brought the twins over when they were very little for the first time, I wasn't sure how Skipper would react to one baby let alone two! I had no idea if he had even seen a baby before. So, I let him stay with us for a few minutes, but he was getting anxious and starting to run around more than normal. So, I put him outside for awhile. That's how things stayed for the first few months -- he was with us for a bit, then he was by himself if he did something I didn't like. Now, when the twins come, he's great with them! They love to pet him and he just sits there and lets them do so.

I say, stand your ground until the dog is trained. You can never be too careful -- especially with any kind of bull terriers. As I recall, they are stocky and very strong. Actually, I think they are some how 'related' to the pit bull.

Does your hubby agree with you?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:09 am 

Thanks HATBC. Yes they are related to the pit bull and the american bull terrier which is banned in this country under the dangerous dogs act. There have also been 2 cases of staffordshire's attacking young children in the news, one of which was killed (the child).

They feel I don't trust them, but it's not them I don't trust it's the dog!

I don't want Holly to grow up scared of dogs. Since they got this dog she has also developed a habit of me wanting to pick her up when we see other dogs, even my friend's cocker spaniel who we see every week and is harmless but quite excited when we arrive.

Oh well, I'm sticking to my guns. I've learnt you have to stick up for what you believe in!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:56 pm 

Clare,

I completely agree with HATBC. I don't trust pit bulls or any kind of
dog related to pit bulls.

No wonder Holly is scared. I think the law in your country to ban
them is great.

Stick to your guns. I don't understand your mother-in-law. My
grandchild would come first with me.

Karen

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:26 am 

Thanks Karen, and don't worry I will be sticking to my guns.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:19 pm 

Thanks for the answers, Clare.

I don't know what the law is in the US now, but at times and in certain areas, I think, pit bulls were banned.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:31 am 

Well I think there are only a few breeds which are banned in the UK, but there are still others that aren't which I am scared of (Doberman, Rottweilers, German Shepherds)

I've just looked it up and to quote the BBC website People are currently banned from owning four types of dogs in the UK - pit bull terriers, Japanese Tosas, the Dogo Argentinos and the Fila Brasileiros.

I haven't even heard of most of those!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:13 am 

I don't like Doberman or Rottweilers. I like most German Shepard(s), though. Actually, a lot of GS are used as police dogs. My cousin had one as a police dog many moons ago. After she died, they got a GS for themselves and I think the police department got another, but I'm not sure.

The dogs you mentioned that were banned -- I'm with you. I've only heard of the pit bull terriers, I've never heard of the other names on the list!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:22 am 

I think it's because I have encountered some GS's that were encouraged to be a bit nasty. I've also encountered some Boxers like that as well. But it is all about the training/upbringing.

Do you remember the encounters Hunter and McCall had with dogs? There was that Doberman in "Blow Up" that Hunter barked at, and then the rotweiller in "Crime of Passion" - the one who nearly bit McCall and later Hunter had to throw into the pool. They didn't meet any nice dogs from what I recall. And a few nights ago I caught some of an X Files episode in which Mulder and Scully were running away from some dogs!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:25 am 

Dear Clare,

I completely agree with you and others fans. There is NO WAY my husband and I let my kids get close to the bull terriers and pit bull or any kind of hunting dogs. Those are danger animal that people calls PETS. They scared the hell out of me once my neighbor and I took a walk long time ago. They love to attack people from behind and never stop chasing you even though their owner called them during their hunting time, that what I recalled happen to us. We were lucky that my neighbor's husband got to us on time with the gun on his hand. He fired the gun and tried to scare the pit bull away. Geez....please don't you ever let Holly see or be alone with that dog even ONE second. Stand on your ground and good luck with the in-law.

Dee Dee

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:28 am 

Thanks Dee Dee, I have stood my ground on this one. I think they've got the message. What scares me is that when they say "No" to this dog it completely ignores them and they are not fast enough to catch her/grab her by the collar.

Anyway last weekend they came over here to see her and got a loud dose of all the songs from "High School Musical 2" LOL!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:46 pm 

---------
I agree with everyone else, Clare - keep that dog away from Holly. I've seen those news stories, too, and I couldn't bear it if that happened to Michael. The thing is, dogs are animals and if they aren't controlled properly (or sometimes even if they are) they will revert to that animal instinct. I had a rescue dog who was ok with kids but hated other animals. When I say ok with kids, I mean she could tolerate them, but that's about it. So I never completely trusted her around kids, because at the end of the day, animals are animals.

I love watching that program Dog Whisperer with Cesar Milan. You should have him take a look at your in-law's dog!

Profile E-mail